SPEARS, Hello and other stuff

jonathanprice

Spears are awesome  

154 members have voted

1. 1. Spears are awesome

"Where's the love for pointy sticks in video games nowdays?"

- Jonathan Price on video games

Hay all. I've been visiting the nexus modding sites for 2 years now and have really enjoyed modding games like fallout and oblivion. I feel it's time I made a contribution to the modding scene in SKYRIM. I'm a fairly good modeller and have recently started animation at my college. I have student versions of 3DS Max and Maya. At my college i'll be learning programming and UV mapping and everything and i'm pretty excited. I don't currently own Skyrim but will do by christmas. By which I'm hoping the creation kit is out.

Until then. I'm a moddeller if you need me. If you want examples of my work.. just ask. I have skype if you want to PM me about that.

< SPEARS!!!

What I want to inquire about is the ambitious idea of implementing spears into skyrim.

Spears have always been my favourite weapon. They keep people at a distance and you can prod them before they prod you. Whenever I draw regal characters I don't give them a sword I give them a big old ornate spear. And the Idea of taking down a dragon with a spear makes me very happy.

I need an expert oppinion from somebody who is playing Skyrim...is this feasable?

If so.. need help making a list of jobs. Like.. UV mapper, Coder, Animator etc. I'm hoping some tallented modders will get onboard with this through mutual love of spears.

On the subject of spears... Crossbows and thrown weapons.. just putting it out there.

I've only made simple personal use .esps really before or edited textures with photoshop, so pardon my ignorance... if i'm at all ignorant.

PEACE

Edited by jonathanprice

Great idea! Skyrim is full of Dragons now, so if the people didn't use spears before, they should now!

To put spears in the game though, they need to be done properly. New models, lots of variety, New animations and death executions, new recipes. Maybe new types of wood/ore and respective nodes. A new perk tree, named pole-arms that could include 3 specializations Spears - Pikes - Halberds (to do this properly your looking at tripling the amount of work needed doing). Populate Skyrim with them. Create some new combat packages/AI for NPC's to choose from. You could go to town on the idea! But I like!

It's feasible. Animation will be the hard part. Creating an entirely new weapon type may or may not be possible; if not, you'll have to try to split the difference between your spears and either 1-handed or 2-handed weapons, making animations that work for both.

Indeed that's what I thought... Perhaps we could make an animation pack that looks good with both spears and default 2 hand/ 1 handed weapons, incorparating more lunging and back swiping along side implementing them as 1 handed and 2 handed weapons. I can't remember which mod in particular.. but there was one for oblivion where the spears could be specified as "spears" in-game and had separate animations... It was slow and not too great though.

I'd want to either do Rusty Iron- Ebony or just normal-legendary spears of none specific material and add them to soldier inventories, vendors, locations etc.

Would be nice to see spears & halberds in game. If you can make them after the creation kit is released I'll definitely give the mod a try.

On the topic of weapons that aren't in the original game it would be nice to see daggers that could be thrown as well as possibly cross bows.

Great idea! Skyrim is full of Dragons now, so if the people didn't use spears before, they should now!

To put spears in the game though, they need to be done properly. New models, lots of variety, New animations and death executions, new recipes. Maybe new types of wood/ore and respective nodes. A new perk tree, named pole-arms that could include 3 specializations Spears - Pikes - Halberds (to do this properly your looking at tripling the amount of work needed doing). Populate Skyrim with them. Create some new combat packages/AI for NPC's to choose from. You could go to town on the idea! But I like!

Indeed. I'm swarming with ideas. What with my limited skillset and college work though I don't think I should be the "main dood" working on this and maybe just a moddeller, concept artist.. possibly animator and armourer for some sort of team

pikes are spears

first coming to mind would be spear, halberd, glaive (naginata)

also, would love you long time for completing this, dissapointed that they limited their combat so much, it's like they said hey consoles > pc x10, let the modders do all the work.