Lord of the Rings worldspace

Xescream

well, I was in breezehome today kinda chilling listening to the music and it reminded me of Lord of the Rings and I thought how incredibly amazing it would be to add a themed worldspace, and many of the resources for moria, rohan, and gondor are fantastically provided (mordor might take a little bit of work) I have been researching and I can go building and scripting with the dev kit when it comes out but Im worthless at nifskope and blender etc. I know there are many modders out there with talents far superior than mine and I was wondering who was interested. There is a plethora of LOTR resources swimming around nexus. I think this would be a fanastic project with enormous potential. I mean we have balrog models, saurons armor, wringwraith armor, a freakin gandalf companion already strutting about in Oblivion. albeit not all of those things are compatible with skyrim, but the idea still stands. If no one helps, Ill still attempt it when the construction set comes out but I promise it will be far inferior to something involving lil old me all alone. I desperately want to roam the lands of middle earth-- so who's game?

well, I was in breezehome today kinda chilling listening to the music and it reminded me of Lord of the Rings and I thought how incredibly amazing it would be to add a themed worldspace, and many of the resources for moria, rohan, and gondor are fantastically provided (mordor might take a little bit of work) I have been researching and I can go building and scripting with the dev kit when it comes out but Im worthless at nifskope and blender etc. I know there are many modders out there with talents far superior than mine and I was wondering who was interested. There is a plethora of LOTR resources swimming around nexus. I think this would be a fanastic project with enormous potential. I mean we have balrog models, saurons armor, wringwraith armor, a freakin gandalf companion already strutting about in Oblivion. albeit not all of those things are compatible with skyrim, but the idea still stands. If no one helps, Ill still attempt it when the construction set comes out but I promise it will be far inferior to something involving lil old me all alone. I desperately want to roam the lands of middle earth-- so who's game?

There was actually a similar project for Oblivion called "Middle Earth Role-Playing Project" (MERP, silly name but w/e). They actually got quite far along with it, created an amazing world map, a full-scale replica of Minas Tirith (you could even walk all the way up each of the levels), awesome model of Sauron's Tower and Minas Morgul, etc etc etc. Anyway, a few months ago they announced that they'll try to port their efforts into Skyrim, however there's been no word that I know from them since then (back in June). I really like what they were doing and helped them out a bit, but had a little bit of a disagreement with their philosophy, ie they wanted to have the player choose one of the Fellowship and basically replay the movies in the form of a quest line. Which sounds OK, except any attempt to "re-imagine" the movies, even from an established studio let alone an amateur mod team, would be s*** in comparison, so it'd be better to do some "minor" quest with the whole story of the One Ring taking place as a backdrop.

ANYWAY. I'd suggest digging up some info on their project to see if they're still alive. I think Skyrim is the best possible engine currently existing for such an undertaking. The artistic style of buildings, items and weapons in Skyrim matches the LOTR movies much better, so much of the assets can be re-used.

Kudos! It looks like their is still some activity, and people are excited and determined about a skyrim port. when the new development comes out and I get some experience I may even join them. Your right though-- it would be nigh impossible to recapture the epicness unless someone had a PC that could handle 2000 NPC's at once and we had the original cast to voice act (not to mention professional scripters)

• 3 months later...
I think recreating Moria and Barad-Dur, Minas Morgul, Dol Goldur and epic enough. Hell, even if someone recreated Moria I would be happy for the rest of my life. Alright that's not entirely true, but a skyrim recreation of Moria, the real big, really BIG Moria would be awesome. recreating Barad-Dur completely would go way to high. The sky is the limit and if you want to recreate barad-dur 1:1 you cross that limit. It's way to big. But Moria on the other hand, would be an 'interior' area so you won't have that problem. That combined with the darker dungeon mod would be the most awesome mod ever.

Your right though-- it would be nigh impossible to recapture the epicness unless someone had a PC that could handle 2000 NPC's at once and we had the original cast to voice act

It is very easy to record scenes with recording software, using angles that only show parts of the battlefield. If you cutscene those videos, and place the player in a much smaller closed of part of the battlefield, with some sound effect from the bigger battlefield added in, you got a pretty good stimulation of a big battle going on.

And, keep in mind that the player doesnt need to interact with everything for him to think it's actually there. For example, if there was a ledge that the player couldn't reach, but could see, you could just place animated statics [archers, ect] there, and depending on the view distance, massively reduce their polycount and detail as well.

Ok, writing this made my modding sense tingle. I think i'm going to try and see how this works out ingame. If it works, i'll post the result here - might be usefull, no?

Edited by FakePersonality