Level of Immersion

WaLkAwaY

I think games either pull you in or they don't, there's nothing you can do if the game just doesn't do it for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun it but I honestly couldn't care less what happens to the people or country of Skyrim.

@abaris: Yeah, but as far as I'm concerned so far, the game did not break my immersion to the point where I would not even call immersion or worse. It has it's flaws, I agree with that, but I try not to care so much and just enjoy the other things. I realy like the random things and little things you find if you explored the wilds. The quests are short, true, but some are very funny. I only finished the companion quests thus far, so I don't know if all quests are similar in length, but I know I enjoyed it.:yes:

@abaris: Yeah, but as far as I'm concerned so far, the game did not break my immersion to the point where I would not even call immersion or worse. It has it's flaws, I agree with that, but I try not to care so much and just enjoy the other things. I realy like the random things and little things you find if you explored the wilds. The quests are short, true, but some are very funny. I only finished the companion quests thus far, so I don't know if all quests are similar in length, but I know I enjoyed it.:yes:

I'm enjoying it too. And its not that the quests were to short. It's all about impacting the world and making people recognise you. It may boil down to tastes, but as far as I am concerned, I want to get the feeling of being some kind of hero or villain when it comes to RPGs. With the Elder Scroll series they never managed to pull that trick. They pulled it with fallout - although, as I said above, I think they were only the publisher then.

I see what you mean now. After I finished the companion quests they

acted as if nothing happened, even members of the companion faction didn't changed much, their attitude towards me was still kinda hostile, not respectfull after all I did for them

Edited by Pushkatu

Hi Pushkatu long time.

I think once the real game changing or revision mods come out a lot of that "cannot put my finger on it" feeling will go away. As more and more in depth game changing mods are released this game could grow to be another Oblivion maybe? Then again Dragon age (last time I looked) did not take off like everyone thought it would either. I might be mistaken about DA and DA2 I have not looked in a while.

Oblivion to me seemed like the SIMS for RPG's maybe I was just wondering how close Skyrim is or will become to that level.

I'm enjoying it too. And its not that the quests were to short. It's all about impacting the world and making people recognise you. It may boil down to tastes, but as far as I am concerned, I want to get the feeling of being some kind of hero or villain when it comes to RPGs. With the Elder Scroll series they never managed to pull that trick. They pulled it with fallout - although, as I said above, I think they were only the publisher then.

That really bothers me too, c'mon guys I'm the freaking harbringer now! You all saw!!!

Worse than that though, is the town guards saying crap like "so your the new companions recruit huh?"

WRONG BUCKO, I'M THE HARBRINGER NOW!

Worse than that though, one time I was just moving through the companions guild hall (after finishing their main quest line) and Farkas says to the dark elf guy something along the lines of "you don't get to fight until skjar says so, until then you keep training"

Spoilers...

WTF, Skjar is dead! Like weeks ago. Was Farkas just being a smartass or something?

Stuff like that really breaks your immersion and sense that what your doing actually impacts the world.

Thats what really bothers me too, I don't feel like my achievements are reflected in the game world at all.

I finished the companions quest and they all still talk to me like an untested recruit. I mean, c'mon guys I'm the freaking harbringer now! You all saw!!!

Worse than that though, is the town guards saying crap like "so your the new companions recruit huh?"

WRONG BUCKO, I'M THE HARBRINGER NOW!

Worse than that though, one time I was just moving through the companions guild hall (after finishing their main quest line) and Farkas says to the dark elf guy something along the lines of "you don't get to fight until skjar says so, until then you keep training"

Spoilers...

WTF, Skjar is dead! Like weeks ago. Was Farkas just being a smartass or something?

Stuff like that really breaks your immersion and sense that what your doing actually impacts the world.

Hey, yeah it's been a while, nice to see you.;)

I think that Skyrim will beat Oblivion, in time of course. People are a little confused right now, becouse previous games had a CS right from the start. With Oblivion the modding community has matured quite a bit and we can only be happy about this(more quality mods). There's also a huge number of new people and I trust many fo them will have something to add to the table. If we look at the numbers and statistics, we'll see that never before a ES game cought so much attention. If only a small amount of that attention is directed to modding, than we can expect to see a lot of them. We also have to take into consideration Dark0ne's efforts to make things better and better and the changes at least since I joined have been a big plus for all of us, modder or not. Only time will tell for sure, but I'm confident that we'll have a great number of mods for this game.

Yes this site has definitely changed. Or I should say gathering of sites. Come to think of it though this is the only site where I could leave for a year, come back and the member base/type and views of the members stay the same.

Sorry went off topic...

I believe what you said is true Pushkatu, one of the mods I cannot wait for and I know if it can be done someone will do it, riding Dragons! :)

I might even try my hand at modding myself.

Edited by SWAT_WaLkAwaY

While I have been enjoying the game, there really is little actual immersion going on here. As others have pointed out, your actions have few lasting effects reflected by the assorted NPCs in the world.

Civil war line excepted for it's impact on populations, though the people themselves don't seem to change much

It's not like Bethesda has no idea how to do this kind of thing, they managed to get it right with New Vegas (ok, Obsidian got it right), and it would have taken little effort to play that through and pay attention to what worked and what didn't.

Well there's not much back story to begin with. This is typical TES style but still, why was I a prisoner? How did I get captured? Who are the legion, why are the stormcloaks fighting them? Why do I care which side to join (I haven't joined any yet). Why are the Dragons back? Granted I'm only 30 hours into the game and haven't done much of the main story line, but I should have a few hints to some of these questions by now. Asking NPC's what side they support hasn't given me any of the reasons why they are fighting.

There is plenty of backstory, it just isn't in the most in-your-face places. Start reading books in people's homes or the various Hold keeps, in particular: The Great War, Rising Threat v1-4, The Bear of Markarth, and The Holds of Skyrim. There are a few other books that help fill in the blanks, but I cannot think of their titles at the moment. A couple books refer to the dragons as well, though they are more historical/speculation than spoilers of the game itself: Alduin is Real, and The Akatosh/Alduin Dichotomy.