Imperial VS Stormcloak

Jackal2233

to all who feel that Skyrim is over because Beth have said there are no more DLCs coming, just keep playing or start a new character (again).

I remember the days when games were released and that was it. there were no add-ons or mods and the developers went straight to the next game, but that never stopped people playing the games over and over and it won't stop me playing skyrim because Bethesda are moving on to the next game.

I reckon I still have several hundred more hours to play (I might even side with Ulfric).

to be completely honest I really enjoy walking around Skyrim and enjoying the scenery as much as fighting Thalmor, Forsworn, bandits and Stormcloaks.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at it from this point of view, sisterof, with no definite ending written by Bethesda, all possible endings remain equally true. You can have a good ending side by side with a horrible one, a heartrending one along a happy one, both a Stormcloak and an Imperial victory are possible without being mutually exclusive. There is no constriction by the author, nobody who can tell you that your preferred, assumed or most dreaded ending is untrue or impossible. In a way, this is the true liberation of Skyrim.

That... wasn't terribly convincing or consoling, was it? *forms a tiny snow Paarthurnax from the last bits of left over snow from the garden and gently slides it over*

I enjoy just running around too. Last summer, when it got way too hot outside for me to bear, I once switched on the ventilator and rode out to the area between Windhelm and Winterhold - right into one of those magnificent snowstorms in which you see nothing but snow. I felt much better right away - allowedly that might have been thanks to the ventilator, but I am sure Skyrim offered moral support. ;)

Edited by Anska

@Anska: The problem is that there is a definite ending, but we'll only know it in at least 5 years. It may be a silly thing, but I do enjoy writing my RP bullshitte in my tumblr, and now that my Dragonborn is getting into the Civil War (thanks to this thread I got him a side), I'll have to stop soon - because there's no way the moot would take years to be called, and I don't want to write something that will be completely denied by future games. It maybe be just grumpiness and childishness on my part, but the lack of closure drives me crazier than any terrible ending would. "The Dominion invaded and the Dragonborn died making a last stand" is great to me. Much better than "we'll be suspended in time waiting for the moot that will never be resolved (because we cannot have a non-canonical KING) for at least half a decade".

Well, at least it's not like the Legacy of Kain series that died after five games and with not only no ending, but not a single plan to ever have a new game.

And thank you for the tiny snow Paarthurnax. I shall treasure it in my memory long after warmth and time have its way with it. :wink:

Edited by sisterof

Hi everyone!

Glad to see lots of new faces on this thread. I haven't had a chance to review all the posts since the last time I was around yet but I'm glad there's been a good discussion going on.

Very sad about the no-DLC announcement. Although I didn't think the Redguard DLC fake ad on steam was the next intended DLC I was really hoping for something to further the Civil War arc. It's a shame we won't get that now.

Still it's been a fun ride.

Hmmm, tumblr, you say?

If it's childish, I don't really mind being a little childish myself. I am currently stuck between what I wrote above and being curious how the story goes on, I enjoy the freedom of an open ending, while at the same time wanting a definite one - like the state you are in when reading a book you really like: You want to know how it ends but at the same time, you don't want it to be over. It's a bit paradox. For someone who takes the events ingame as the plot of fanwork, it's probably even more problematic, because sooner or later you reach a point when there is no game-based fundament to build upon anymore. So you either have to stop or make things up, the former is sad, the latter might feel as if it was lacking authenticity.

Seen in the light of this, setting the MMO in the past, perhaps wasn't such an odd idea.

If it helps, the Moot might not need a couple of years to be called in, but perhaps weeks or a month? Still, I admit, it's not such a great grand finale

Oh no, I mean that the problem is precisely how soon the moot is. Trying to be clearer: after the Civil War is done, how much more can someone write about the character? It's not like I can go on and on about months and maybe years about my Dragonborn's story without ever addressing the moot, because it wouldn't take that long to be called. And I can't simply write an outcome of it because there will be canon released about it - in several years. My writing is terrible and nearly nobody reads it, but it's my anti-drug and I'm actually ashamed to confess that fiction (be it reading/playing/writing) is my single life-saver in a world of depression and woe and all that crap.

And I know tumblr has a pretty bad rap. I don't use it for reblogging at all to avoid perpetuating this style of "online diary" filled with randomness and "fandoms". And keeping the "follow" count to less than 15 helps with a clean dash. :D

The MMO in the past is great in my opinion - I couldn't care less about gaming online without the ability to pause and toggle free camera and so on. It may be nice and entertaining but that's not what I use TES for.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Fallout too. I'd be celebrating if I wasn't busy ruminating over the lack of closure for my "headcanon".

@Anska: The problem is that there is a definite ending, but we'll only know it in at least 5 years. It may be a silly thing, but I do enjoy writing my RP bullshitte in my tumblr, and now that my Dragonborn is getting into the Civil War (thanks to this thread I got him a side), I'll have to stop soon - because there's no way the moot would take years to be called, and I don't want to write something that will be completely denied by future games. It maybe be just grumpiness and childishness on my part, but the lack of closure drives me crazier than any terrible ending would. "The Dominion invaded and the Dragonborn died making a last stand" is great to me. Much better than "we'll be suspended in time waiting for the moot that will never be resolved (because we cannot have a non-canonical KING) for at least half a decade".

Well, at least it's not like the Legacy of Kain series that died after five games and with not only no ending, but not a single plan to ever have a new game.

And thank you for the tiny snow Paarthurnax. I shall treasure it in my memory long after warmth and time have its way with it. :wink:

You write a Skrim story?!!! :smile:

I write a Skyrim story TOO!!! :smile:

Cool.....

Edited by TheLoreSeeker

@sistetof

just write the ending as you see it. whether it agrees with canon or not doesn't matter. if you guess correctly then you can feel extra proud of your achievement, and if you guess wrong then you have to play Skyrim again to get it all straight before you play TESVI :D

in case you haven't got this in your bookmarks, here is the UESPWiki LORE page so you can get a sketch outline of how Beth deal with possible ambiguities.

my guess is that Elisif is elected High Queen.

either the Empire win and she is unopposed or the moot elect her over Ulfric because they believe in his cause but not in him or Ulfric is killed in some manner after the rebellion (possibly the moot find him guilty of the murder of Torigg and then he's executed).

this means that regardless of the outcome of the war, the only thing that changes is which Jarls are in power in each hold.

after the moot, if the Empire won, Elisif will be persuaded to leave the Empire (or her successor will). if the Stormcloaks won then Elisif would not rejoin the Empire as none of the Jarls would accept that.

this ties up all the loose ends without being too convoluted and shouldn't be too far off.

this is the unofficial canon (if you can have an unofficial canon) that I am using until the official one comes along.

Sisterof, I was more thinking along the lines of: making the preparation for the Moot the central theme of your story after the CW is decided.

If you chat with Ulfric after the CW, it doesn't sound as if he would call in the Moot the next day. He seems more concerned with first settling any remaining sources of unrest and making sure the rule of the new Jarls isn't questioned. Additionally, if you talk to Galmar, he tells you that he's been assigned to keep an eye on the Jarls to make sure, that what Zog just suggested, doesn't actually happen. As your character is by that time a high-ranking officer within the Stormcloaks, he could accompany Galmar or be assigned to look into one of the Holds himself and, voilà, you have a solid background for looking into all the sidequests of each and every hold. :smile: ... you'll just have to find an ending for your story that is staged before the Moot takes place but that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Edited for typos and more sense in the sentences.

Edited by Anska