Charges? How can I tell how many a new weapon has?

CaptainChaos

I appreciate you mentioning that and I apologize for not being more specific in my question. When a weapon is fully charged, it appears to me that the bar is the same length for any charged weapon - a few inches long. One weapon had like 1000 charges it seemed, another had 10, but the bar started at the same length. So, I have no idea where in between that is. Any additional thoughts?

The amount of charge will also depend on your skill in the school of magic that governs that spell, so say you have 100 in destruction, but only 10 in alteration/illusion/etc, any destruction based enchantments will last much longer then any other schools enchantments. There's no real hard number I could give you, because it's all skill based, the higher your skill, the more charges you'll get out of a given item.

Yo,

I have something to add.

the other night I was enchanting masses of things and finally tested things out.

enchanting an item that has %fire resistance among other stats will visibly

show you that using a common gem is better than a petty gem.

(for ex, 2% fire res vs 5% fire res)

HOWEVER. what is not displayed is how many more charges an item

has with a better soul gem. I enchanted 2 identical steal daggers back to back

one with a petty soul and one with a greater soul.

both appeared to have exact same stats, one ha a higher value.

I slashed left then right then left then right and so on against a retarded

npc.... anyway the petty dagger ran out first, and when it did the greater

dagger had 75% charge remaining.... HUGE undoccumented difference.

enchant charged items with top lvl souls,

I enchanted an ebony bow with a black soul gem and saved, then i proceeded

to kill everyone in whiterun eccept for like 3 or 4 unkillable npcs and all the

children..... still had a fair amount of charge after over a hundred arrows loosed.

compared to a petty ebony bow which had a dozen charges.

Well you are able to adjust how many uses vs. how effective each use is before creating the item too. Meaning a bigger soul will give you more to work with, but you can still decide to make something like 5 damage over 10 seconds with 30 uses, or 25 damage over 1 second with 10 uses.

So if you get an enchantment you like consider learning it and making your own weapon to customize it.