Oblivion lags in combat

xatra

Hello,

sorry for my bad english, but i have problem with oblivion. My pc: intel pentium dual core g840 2,8 ghz, radeon 6770 512 mb, 4gb ram, w7 ultimate 64bit. My problem is: when i have started combat with any NPC(creature, human etc.) the game changes the background music, for example from explore music to combat music and back, i have big lags. I think, problem is onboard audio card, but in my old pc have i also onboard audio card and oblivion performed well, no lags. I tried compatibility mode with Win xp, run as administrator, reinstall the game, i have installed last versions of drivers. I tried also quiet feet max, and the latest patch for this game. Nothing can help me. Only the mod of .ini file-bMusicEnabled=0, but the game without background sound is not good, less atmospheric. But skyrim works well on ultra details, no sound problems, no lags. But i want play oblivion again(memories :) ). Can anyone help me?

Sorry I wasn't suggesting you install any codec paks, I was asking if you had any already installed. Sometimes codecs can cause problems with the game. Here's a quote from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide, taken from midway down the 7th page:

If you are experiencing audio-related glitches or problems, firstly make sure you have installed the latest audio drivers for your sound card. Details of these are in the Driver Installation/Windows Drivers chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, along with further instructions in that chapter for correct driver installation and general driver tips. Disable all additional audio effects or enhancements. For example, if you run a Creative sound card, go into the Audio HQ/Audio Console and in the EAX Control Panel click the 'All Effects Off' option or select 'No Effects' for all the presets. You should also consider disabling CMSS 3D, and indeed any other audio effect options which may be conflicting with Oblivion's sound. You should also consider uninstalling any 'codec packs' you may have installed, as these are known to cause audio problems in a range of games. Contrary to popular belief, most sound cards and even recent onboard audio solutions do not have a conflict with Oblivion, so typically the problem is with the audio settings and/or other audio codecs installed on the system.

If you are still having lots of stuttering, audio glitches and crashes, you can undertake certain tweaks to disable Sound Hardware Acceleration or disable the background music in Oblivion - see the bDSoundHWAcceleration and bMusicEnabled variables in particular under the Advanced Tweaking section. The reason for this is that the background music is dynamic, and responds to your location and situation. While it is indeed very beautiful music, it is constantly loading in the background, changing whenever combat is initiated for example, so it can use up additional RAM and accesses hard drive resources adding to stuttering on many systems.

My bad. Now i have in my computer K-lite codecs pack, it does not help. I tried also xp codecs pack with no results. But, without ANY codecs pack, i also had these combat lags. I read something like Koroush Ghazi's guide. But, in w7x64 i cant turn off sound hw acceleration/start->cmd->dxdiag does not help, i dont see the slider with HW acceleration). When i change in oblivion.ini bDSoundHWAcceleration=1 to zero, it had no effect.

There are a lot of different Realtek audio chipsets, and they are constantly updating their drivers. What worked on your old chipset Realtek may not work on your newer one (though it's doubtfull they are using the same driver version). Have a look through this thread, and you'll see my instructions on finding your Realtek chipset version and driver version in post #6. You can report that info back here if you want, or if you're up to it, follow the rest of the thread and update your drivers from the Realtek site. If you are at driver version 6.0.1.6316 or newer you can just install the latest driver off the Realtek site. If you are currently at an older driver version than 6.0.1.6316 you'll need to uninstall the old version before you install the newest version.