⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Infinite Loading Screen

dantedemon

So far, I've been running the game all maxed out, including AA, AF etc. 25-35 FPS stable. All fine, no bugs (except a few funny ones, not anything game-breaking).

Until recently...

I was leaving the Jarl's castle into the Whiterun. The loading screen greeted me with the 3D rendering of a Dunmer assassin with a few tips in the bottom-right corner of the screen. Then another tip showed up to replace the previous one... And then the another one, and another one... And so on.

It kept loading forever. I left it loading for half an hour, still nothing. So I tried restarting my PC, rebuilding .ini etc. No go.

So I tried lowering some settings, I figured: Maybe it has to load too much stuff ? So I lowered everything to Medium, and it loaded. Tried High - made it, but took some time. Ultra - no go. When I tried lowering View Distance settings, it loaded.

Of course, I don't want to play with the lowest possible View Distance, so I came here now, asking for help. Did anyone encounter this bug before and fixed it ? Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

<div><br></div><div>EDIT: The problem appears to be in the Zoomable Map .ini tweak.</div>

Edited by dantedemon

So far, I've been running the game all maxed out, including AA, AF etc. 25-35 FPS stable. All fine, no bugs (except a few funny ones, not anything game-breaking).

Until recently...

I was leaving the Jarl's castle into the Whiterun. The loading screen greeted me with the 3D rendering of a Dunmer assassin with a few tips in the bottom-right corner of the screen. Then another tip showed up to replace the previous one... And then the another one, and another one... And so on.

It kept loading forever. I left it loading for half an hour, still nothing. So I tried restarting my PC, rebuilding .ini etc. No go.

So I tried lowering some settings, I figured: Maybe it has to load too much stuff ? So I lowered everything to Medium, and it loaded. Tried High - made it, but took some time. Ultra - no go. When I tried lowering View Distance settings, it loaded.

Of course, I don't want to play with the lowest possible View Distance, so I came here now, asking for help. Did anyone encounter this bug before and fixed it ? Help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

same situation here, all maxed out, used to be no problem.

now, it does not load my save file anymore... stuck in perpetual loading....

funny enough, i was also leaving the Jarl's castle in Whiterun :)

Hey, I don't mean to steal your thread, but rather like to show support on this bug. I tried to fast travel but the game crashed. After relaunching the game, the game stayed on the loading screen. Lowering the graphic setting helped go past the loading screen. If anyone has some insight, please post. This game already looks like a toilet in a public restroom, clogged with s*** and toilet paper in high setting. Normal is even worse.

I had the exact same problem. Leaving dragonsreach castle into whiterun gave me an infinite load screen. I even removed all my mods to see if one was causing it. I still had the problem, so I went and loaded a save I had on another character from before I started modding and STILL had the problem. So I started looking around the webs to see if anyone else had the same problem and I came across this thread. I have to thank you about for your comment on the ini file. I had added the zoomable map tweak to C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini and you made me rememeber it. (Thats windows 7, I don't know where it is in any other OS) I went and removed it and now I can load again. I have all settings in the launcher set to ultimate except the shadows which are on high.

I hope this is helpful to you, but if this was the same ini as you said you rebuilt (and therefore isn't helpful to you) hopefully this'll at least help some people.

If it does not do it on a new game then it is probably the file size of your current save. The longer you play, the bigger the file gets. Rumors persist as to where the bottleneck lies - hardware wise - causing the perpetual loading screen, and the most substantiated thing ive seen is the hard drive data transfer rate to the ram. Slow hdd's are rumored to be the cause of this problem but im unsure if this only operates on certain southbridge chipset styles or cpu types. I had this problem in new vegas and switched to a 550 mb/s - sata-6 ssd for my o/s and steam and no longer encounter this problem. Ever. my current save on skyrim is 11,000 kilobytes and loads from scratch in about 4 seconds. on a new save game, i dont even see a load screen.

My old system was pretty good and i only started having the troubles ya'll describe after i had 40-50 esp style heavy math mods on there. It was then that i started getting the perpetual loading screen. I noticed even then that if i started a new game or loaded an old save that was small, it loaded fine.

I'd be curious to see if ya'll could post your pc specs, we might see a common factor.

My old setup that was causing me these troubles was:

phenom II 965 black - oc 4.1Ghz

corsair ddr3 4x2 @1333

Asus M4A89GTD-PRO

7300rpm terabyte hitachi

sapphire radeon 6850 oc

My new setup:

Intel I5-2500K 3.8ghz

Corsair vengeance ddr3 4x4 @1600

Gigabyte Z68P-UD-5

Mushkin chronos deluxe 128gig 90,000 iops

sapphire radeon 6850 oc

The big difference was the ssd.

My new system has never encountered anything like this

I had added the zoomable map tweak to C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini and you made me rememeber it.

@mogamepro: that's it. I had been trying everything similar to yourself. funny enough that when I stepped out onto the "balcony" in the castle, I had no issues going out or in. Only when leaving to fight the first dragon. It failed every time. Removing the Map entries in Skyrim.ini fixed it!!! fantastic Was really getting frustrated.

Thanks!

I had added the zoomable map tweak to C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini and you made me rememeber it.

@mogamepro: that's it. I had been trying everything similar to yourself. funny enough that when I stepped out onto the "balcony" in the castle, I had no issues going out or in. Only when leaving to fight the first dragon. It failed every time. Removing the Map entries in Skyrim.ini fixed it!!! fantastic Was really getting frustrated.

Thanks!

Yeah, you're right Mogamepro. But instead of removing the entire file, I removed the modded map portion of it. Fixed it. Thanks for the help.

I had the exact same problem. Leaving dragonsreach castle into whiterun gave me an infinite load screen. I even removed all my mods to see if one was causing it. I still had the problem, so I went and loaded a save I had on another character from before I started modding and STILL had the problem. So I started looking around the webs to see if anyone else had the same problem and I came across this thread. I have to thank you about for your comment on the ini file. I had added the zoomable map tweak to C:\Users\*username*\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\Skyrim.ini and you made me rememeber it. (Thats windows 7, I don't know where it is in any other OS) I went and removed it and now I can load again. I have all settings in the launcher set to ultimate except the shadows which are on high.

I hope this is helpful to you, but if this was the same ini as you said you rebuilt (and therefore isn't helpful to you) hopefully this'll at least help some people.

Yeah, seems it was my problem too. The tweak stuck around somehow when i rebuilt the .ini :S

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it. :D

I'm glad to hear that I was able to help you all. I'm curious what part of the map tweak is making it load forever like that. I'm guessing its trying to load the whole landmass of the outside part of skyrim for the map and its just too much and can't finish.

@Asis89 Just a tiny nit pick sorry, but I was referring to the map tweak in the ini not the ini itself when I said remove it. Just mentioning since I hate when people miss-understand me.