Skyrim; Populatuion: 750

uruku7

As usual, for me, the world seems grossly underpopulated, maybe due to the very, very few houses in the very few towns.

I have never used a TES construction kit, but once it's released, I might try and make a truly big city with a high population. Lore-wise, does anyone know of a huge city that exists in Skyrim? If not, I may use Hammerfell, seeing as some of it seems to be there. What I envision is probably the same as anyone when they think "big city". Maybe 5-15 people on one street at any given time, hundreds of places for NPC's to live(or atleast something that looks as such), crime, punishment, danger, leisure, arts & entertainment, politics, etc...

Something like what you thought the Imperial City would look like before Oblivion was released (if you're anything like me).

I realize this could be a huge undertaking, but that's half the fun. I doubt I'm the only one planning similar, but I still want to do this. Also maybe a "dungeon" that could take days to get through.

Any ideas as to where this should be, or what "existing" city(not already in-game) this could be? I'd prefer to keep it in Skyrim, but Hammerfell or High Rock would be great too.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost all the cities should be at least about 2x bigger, many more than that. As is, probably 20-30% of the population is guards or government officials, which is just not realistic. Should be lots of farmers, shepherds, tailors, servants, etc.

Don't get me started on the Mage College.

* Students of magic should be hustling and bustling their way through the hallways and corridors (be they court mages-in-training for the Jarl or Imperials looking to apply their skills when rejoining the army.)

* The teachers should have their own homes off campus, not sleeping in their small rooms like a sleepy-time village.

* The students should have to sleep in those cramped facilities.

* NPCs should be randomly giving lectures, demonstrating magic, and generally experimenting with spells (basically what's been going on during your quests but practiced by others.)

* Conjuration students should be walking with Atronochs or their Dead Thralls.

* Destruction students should be practicing their spells on Restoration students using Wards.

* Illusion students should be turning invisible, provoking guards, and calming them again.

* Alteration students should be practicing their Skin spells with Conjuration student's Bound Weapons.

* Tests should be handed out by facility or student-to-student quizzing Players on random spell names/facts and are awarded skillpoints for passing (or decay for failing.)

* The Nords should be petitioning the Mage against abstain from raiding their burial grounds, this could lead to conflict and high quality quest material.

* The researchers should be launching excavations to ancient Dwemer ruins, Nord burial grounds, and sites of interest.

* The researches should be tasking students to hunt local animals (or Werewolves and Vampires) for their projects.

Yes, massive suggestion, but right now the Mages College doesn't feel like a College -- it's more like a hospice for practitioner's of magick.