Is it safe to continue play in a saved file that contains "This save relies on content that is no longer present" ?

kvintanzil

So i just uninstalled a mod (more to replace it) to a better one from "Skyrim Realistic Archery - Bows - Arrows - Crossbows - Bolts" to "ABT - Arrows and Bolts Tweaks" and as you expected, when i tried to load my saved file i get this message "This save relies on content that is no longer present"

i can load the save file just fine and nothing seems to be abnormal and the ABT arrow and bolt tweaks work just fine

my question is will there be future problems if i continue to play in this saved file? or is it safe? thank you very much.

In general, it depends on what you removed.

In this case the mod primarily changes global values, so my guess is that it is fine and you won't have any problems.

For some mods they may leave orphaned scripts behind that will ruin the save.

Other mods may cause other issues. Some mods lead to naked NPCs when removed; others cause head-body mismatches; some will lead to misplaced objects or other weirdnesses. It's important to always read the mod description when removing a mod to see if there is any advice for avoiding these scenarios, or if the mod is safe to remove.

My advice is if you're not sure about a mod, test it on a throwaway save first before using it on a save you care about. That way you are less likely to need to remove a mod (because you already know for sure if you like what it does).

In general, it depends on what you removed.

In this case the mod primarily changes global values, so my guess is that it is fine and you won't have any problems.

For some mods they may leave orphaned scripts behind that will ruin the save.

Other mods may cause other issues. Some mods lead to naked NPCs when removed; others cause head-body mismatches; some will lead to misplaced objects or other weirdnesses. It's important to always read the mod description when removing a mod to see if there is any advice for avoiding these scenarios, or if the mod is safe to remove.

My advice is if you're not sure about a mod, test it on a throwaway save first before using it on a save you care about. That way you are less likely to need to remove a mod (because you already know for sure if you like what it does).

phew.. that's a relief... thank you for quick response and information!

There is a 'save game script cleaner' for any scripts left behind in a existing save file to be extra save. I haven't tried it, but I heard good things about it.
If you do try it, be sure to make a extra save as a backup.

When you remove or add mods always save twice from your last point before doing so, this way you're sure you can roll back without any errors or messages of missing things. (Basically the same as beep boop sais using a throw away save).
Having two saves from the last point you played when messing around with mods is always a nice extra backup. :smile:

Better save than sorry I gues :tongue:

Edited by laiilaiiheii

The general recomendation is indeed to never uninstall mods midgame but I personally have installed and uninstalled many mods with lots of scripts in a couple savegames i have and they still work. But If you care a lot about your savegames then, don't uninstall heavy scripted mods midgame, Skyrim Realistic Archery it's fine, there should be any issues uninstalling it.

Yes it is ... if you go to the console and type in PCB, save then reload then save again.

It will also take away the notice you keep seeing ... other then that no it isn't you will corrupt at some point.

It's good to PCB once and a while also as you play (like once a week).