FPS drops in my Home Plate mod

Some people have told me they get a lot of fps drops inside my Home Plate mod. I'm wondering what can be done about it.

Originally the cell was tagged with "no pre vis" but I untagged that so I could precombine the visibility for the cell to avoid disappearing objects.

Do I need to precombine the geometry for the cell also? Maybe not having done that is causing the drops?

How does the mod run for you? Do you get performance drops?

I always take the bug reports about performance with a "Grain of Salt" especially if the mod runs good for me. In most cases the people with the issues don't even tell you how many other mods they have installed. if they are trying to run every HD texture pack known to man or if they are using an ENB.

Every one knows or should know by now that FO4 is a system HOG and you really need to be careful when choosing mods. Performance hits are to be expected if you try to pack your game with every shiny new thing you see.

I get Performance bug reports at least once a week for Beantown Interiors, Most of these reports end up being user error in the end. On top of that if the mod runs well on the Potato I call a computer and on the XBox 1, it should run well on most systems. My computer is slightly under spec for the game and I don't take any FPS drops bigger then 1 or 2 frames at a time.

Some people feel if the game isn't running at 60 FPS at all times there is a problem even if the drop they get only takes them down to 59 FPS! :rolleyes:

How does the mod run for you? Do you get performance drops?

I always take the bug reports about performance with a "Grain of Salt" especially if the mod runs good for me. In most cases the people with the issues don't even tell you how many other mods they have installed. if they are trying to run every HD texture pack known to man or if they are using an ENB.

Every one knows or should know by now that FO4 is a system HOG and you really need to be careful when choosing mods. Performance hits are to be expected if you try to pack your game with every shiny new thing you see.

I get Performance bug reports at least once a week for Beantown Interiors, Most of these reports end up being user error in the end. On top of that if the mod runs well on the Potato I call a computer and on the XBox 1, it should run well on most systems. My computer is slightly under spec for the game and I don't take any FPS drops bigger then 1 or 2 frames at a time.

Some people feel if the game isn't running at 60 FPS at all times there is a problem even if the drop they get only takes them down to 59 FPS! :rolleyes:

It runs fine for me unless I put an ENB on, and then there is some noticeable drop in one area of the cell. So I am kinda convinced that something odd is occurring, but who knows? It's an interior cell, so I'm kinda surprised there are any issues. Maybe all the static items are causing it? Idk, seems unlikely.

But yeah, I've begun to notice how many complaints end up being user error. Jesus, I never run Fallout games with more than 30, maybe 35 mods. I just about s#*! my pants when I see some load orders. I'm honestly surprised that the game starts for them. :laugh:

I'd be happy to test it to give a comparison on a separate PC, if you like. I also had one person mention a FPS drop on my mod, and I've been pointed in the direction of attempting to fix it, with Occlusion Planes, Portals and Room Markers.

Happy to give you a report on the performance of your mod, if you like, just let me know.

I'd be happy to test it to give a comparison on a separate PC, if you like. I also had one person mention a FPS drop on my mod, and I've been pointed in the direction of attempting to fix it, with Occlusion Planes, Portals and Room Markers.

Happy to give you a report on the performance of your mod, if you like, just let me know.

By all means, if you're willing, give it a go. Furthermore, if you fix your own mod, please share how. I'll have to learn about Occlusion Planes, Portals and Room Markers. :laugh:

Thank you.

By all means, if you're willing, give it a go. Furthermore, if you fix your own mod, please share how. I'll have to learn about Occlusion Planes, Portals and Room Markers. :laugh:

Thank you.

I've got a busy weekend, but I'll definitely test, and report back. Probably a PM to save clogging up this thread.

I've already started looking into optimising my mod, but I've started on my next mod, so custom textures are on my immediate list :smile:

For now though, take a look at this: http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php?title=Bethsoft_Tutorial_Optimization

Edited by Bandwidthbob

Hi Aloot! Bandwidthbob told me about this thread since I mentioned to him how much I love your Home Plate mod.

Just to let you know what I am running: 155 mods including an ENB, extensive flora overhaul, and True Storms. Running around Diamond City (sunny day) I am seeing approx 45-50 fps on average. It fluctuates a lot for me. It stayed at a steady 59.9 standing right outside Home Plate. Upstairs in Home Plate: approx 45-50 fps. Downstairs: 30-35 fps. Basement was also 30-35 fps. Sometimes slightly lower, sometimes higher. So, yeah, there was a drop but one that I would have never noticed if I hadn't been staring at the fps count. I've never experience any sort of hitching inside so, for me, the fps drop isn't an issue. And given my mod count, ENB, and weathers, if I did have issues, I would have attributed it to that. :)

I agree with what chucksteel was saying. It really comes down to what your pc can handle. I know I have a lot of mods going on, but mine can handle it. If I couldn't, I certainly wouldn't be using so many and definitely not an ENB.

Hope that helps you!

Hi Aloot! Bandwidthbob told me about this thread since I mentioned to him how much I love your Home Plate mod.

Just to let you know what I am running: 155 mods including an ENB, extensive flora overhaul, and True Storms. Running around Diamond City (sunny day) I am seeing approx 45-50 fps on average. It fluctuates a lot for me. It stayed at a steady 59.9 standing right outside Home Plate. Upstairs in Home Plate: approx 45-50 fps. Downstairs: 30-35 fps. Basement was also 30-35 fps. Sometimes slightly lower, sometimes higher. So, yeah, there was a drop but one that I would have never noticed if I hadn't been staring at the fps count. I've never experience any sort of hitching inside so, for me, the fps drop isn't an issue. And given my mod count, ENB, and weathers, if I did have issues, I would have attributed it to that. :smile:

I agree with what chucksteel was saying. It really comes down to what your pc can handle. I know I have a lot of mods going on, but mine can handle it. If I couldn't, I certainly wouldn't be using so many and definitely not an ENB.

Hope that helps you!

While your mod count is high, I think there is some optimization I can do to make things run better. BandwidthBob's link above has given me some ideas. We'll see. Might be a week or two, but I'll update.

Thanks for your support!

Hello Aloot! I agree with my lovely wife SigynX1 and chucksteel, that is is completely relative to what your PC can handle. That coupled with settings (High, Low, Ultra, etc...) I dont think my PC is crazy powerful or anything (2 year old generation of CPU a bit overclocked, with 1 new 1080) and settings on Ultra. I see: outside in Diamond city about 50 on average with dips to 45 and peaks to 60 (capped there). Upstairs in Aloot was 45-60, Downstairs and the basement were both a pretty steady 45 fps. In the end there is likely always optimization, but it is what you have your PC tuned for. I have 238 mods, many of which are merge packs I created to keep the count low, otherwise the count would be 423. :-) And the same ENB as the lovely SigynX1's and fps is pretty steady. I do see issues with FPS in some mods at times (mostly outdoors if I have to many vertibirds, etc...), but having experienced both Aloot's Home Plate and Bandwidthbob's Concord Vault-tec office neither of these give me any trouble with FPS.