Useable Firearms?

TehSquishy

wanted the game to be *100% "lore" friendly

We can make it about 90% lore friedly with the ideas we got.

If it goes under that, however, I will have no part in it. If people want to go outside the lore too much, why not make models and features for other game engines? Like Cryenginge, Unity and UDK.

I got a hard time crapping on the hard wor of Bethesda, because I find lazor gaunz!! to look cool.

well Id also assume after the 200ish years between Oblivion and Skyrim theyd invent something new. so far there hasnt been anything.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make it a standard pirate flintlock please.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/v8423.jpg

I mean dwemer items are crap, it would just fire beams of energy if it had a sould gem inside (I totally hate dwemer design, from their armor to weapons... I mean, steampunk can look A LOT better, but Bethesda obviously have NO IMAGINATION at all).

I mean if dwemers were cool they would made gun such as this, not the usual yellow colored (s)crap

Edited by peregrine111

I search for conceps for houres, and I come back here and I find a perfectly fine concept. Not a 12x12 pixel picture on google as I've had way too many off now.

I'll see if I can sketch out a few guns. Then we can see if we can get a mod out of this ;)

if you need (I don't work with that so maybe other textures will be needed):

wood texture

steel texture

gold texture

well that could be enough for the flintlock above

I guess it would be easier to model the gun without the flintlock mechanism itself (I doubt it will be animated anyway, with the engine Bethesda offers) - it will also look more elegant

Edited by peregrine111

A flintlock kind of rifle would be interesting. But as far as the lore of TES goes, doesnt really fit or make sense. Why on earth would you want to fire a rifle that takes forever to reload when you can just turn someone into a pincushion or blow them to high hell with a massive fireball?

When we started using rifles in the real world they where mostly effective as a terrifying weapon. Not so much deadly. Its a horribly inaccurate rifle that took centuries to actually turn into something that could hit the broad side of a barn. Thats why they were fired in volleys from a large cluster of soldiers. Bound to hit something if you fire plenty. But with their slow reloading a simple bow and arrow or crossbow was still a far more effective weapon at actually killing.

But, for the sake of fun, i suppose some dwemer rifle could be interesting. Altough personally it would be more interesting to see this as a technology that is somewhat spread. Some guards will carry one, some bandits might take a potshot at you. Ofcourse these are mostly cheap knock-offs from the original dwemer technology. So dwemer ruins are the likeliest place of finding a more effective rifle.

A reload animation would be cool, but i dont know if the game can "remember" you just shot and have to finish a reload first. Maybe its easier to just have an animation for when you ready your weapon. Like drawing a bow, only instead your character will maybe tinker with the firing mechanism and cock the rifle. A firing mechanism akin to the a more "techy" means, such as we have had in reality where you wound up a spring.

Or rather, its magically powered. Bullet is fired by a small ignition generated by a soul gem. And the rifle needs to be recharged, would fit with lore as dwemers used soul gems to power their machinery and we've all seen the fireballs comming from soulgem-pedestals.

Also, i wouldnt turn them into "super" weapons. But rather an alternative to Bows, advantage could be that its trajectory is more stable (less/no gravity) but the downside is that it makes more noise. Maybe a slight armor penetration effect.

Beyond that, diffirent types of ammo. An iron round/pellet would be weaker then a round made of steel, or dwarven metal, or ebony.

make it a standard pirate flintlock please.

http://www.cowanauctions.com/itemImages/v8423.jpg

I mean dwemer items are crap, it would just fire beams of energy if it had a sould gem inside (I totally hate dwemer design, from their armor to weapons... I mean, steampunk can look A LOT better, but Bethesda obviously have NO IMAGINATION at all).

I mean if dwemers were cool they would made gun such as this, not the usual yellow colored (s)crap

Yup i agree a gun who looks like this would be cool.

http://www.leminhnhat.com/images/steampunk-gun.jpg

While a gun is good and all, I don't support bullet firing guns...I do support a magicka powered gun that would work like a staff, just with no real charge up time and no need to keep pressing the attack button, that is if we get a mini-gun style. anything else, it would still have no real charge up like current staves have, but wouldn't be rapid fire either.

Stay away from Steampunk, and rather go with a fictional creative variation of the combination of Dwemer Technology and Magic. I'm sure such inventions within' the Elder Scrolls have likely taken place in the Adamintine Tower. Steampunk is bad as it makes use of technology that generally hasn't been adapted canonically by anything but a now dead race, and even then that race makes use of Soul Gems in their creations, and not really traditional steampunk weaponary, so you'll find the Dwemer never really touched on creating flintlocks and such. Particularly because they didn't have access to gunpowder and their basic understanding of steam technology meant they could really only use enlarged variations of steam powered devices.

The guardians in the Dwemer Ruins across Tamerial are a combination of magic that traps souls, and technology that draws power from said soul stones. A weapon that allows the firing of say, a stone pallet, without the need of skill to use it, would be a grand example of dwemer technology at its best. As it makes use of canonically avaliable inventions. The use of a soul stone to provide magical power to fire the pallet via propultion, and device itself to provide a mechnaism that connects it all together with a firing trigger.

Essentially it wouldn't be a flintlock pistol, more like a matchlock, without steam tech, and without explosive gunpowder. It could fire, but would require soul stones to recharge it for use, and would be magically powered. So likely have glowing magic all over it. The design would be dwemer and decadent, with typical dwarven metal used where needed. The pallet wouldn't be as harmful as a gun, no death by instant hit, because it wouldn't fire at the speed and power needed to do so, as well as the much much more powerful presence of various armor types. Nevermind that this is a fantasy game and one hit kill weapons should never ever be introduced due to balance issues.

The alternative would be a dwemer hand cannon like early chinese hand cannons, that has some how been made fireable by a single users due to the presence of magic as the trigger.