Upgrading Video Card/CPU

GPU/CPU/  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best choice for me?

• Upgrade my video card.
    • Upgrade my CPU

Yeah but guys, maybe its just me but I would warn against overclocking.. And maybe I am not right on what gpu a 5570 is.. I may be mistaking it for a 5770...

The original post has an attached picture showing the computer specs. The person is using an entry-level GPU. The 5570 is a sub $100 Graphics chip that is meant mostly for low powered systems like HTPCs or an office computer. The 5770 is the last generation budget performance card that is right around $100 last time I checked and was used mostly for low demanding games or games that you don't want to max out the settings.

I was also using the overclock lesson to make a point about the impact that a faster CPU would have on today's games compared to the impact of a faster GPU on the same game. The concept can be used when upgrading those same parts. Also, the person more than likely will not be able to overclock his system anyways because he is using a retail computer from Gateway that is more than likely to have locked access to the BIOS settings that he would need.

In terms of the graphics card, here is one of the better suggestions for an under $200 graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150561

Yeah but guys, maybe its just me but I would warn against overclocking.. And maybe I am not right on what gpu a 5570 is.. I may be mistaking it for a 5770...

The original post has an attached picture showing the computer specs. The person is using an entry-level GPU. The 5570 is a sub $100 Graphics chip that is meant mostly for low powered systems like HTPCs or an office computer. The 5770 is the last generation budget performance card that is right around $100 last time I checked and was used mostly for low demanding games or games that you don't want to max out the settings.

Dunno, but I'm running Skryim at 1920x1200, 4xAA, 4xAF, on Ultra with my 5770...runs fantastic. But, also having a fast CPU helps too...but Skyrim doesn't seem to harness much of it at all....my CPU never goes above 42C when I'm playing. I haven't checked my GPU temps as I need to get Riva Tuner or something to see it, but it runs quite nicely.

But 5770s are old now, gotten quite cheap too. Mine was $160 at the time. That's about all I really spend on a graphics card. Not the best, but not the worst either. I'm quite satisfied with that.

Dunno, but I'm running Skryim at 1920x1200, 4xAA, 4xAF, on Ultra with my 5770...runs fantastic. But, also having a fast CPU helps too...but Skyrim doesn't seem to harness much of it at all....my CPU never goes above 42C when I'm playing. I haven't checked my GPU temps as I need to get Riva Tuner or something to see it, but it runs quite nicely.

But 5770s are old now, gotten quite cheap too. Mine was $160 at the time. That's about all I really spend on a graphics card. Not the best, but not the worst either. I'm quite satisfied with that.

For the most part, the CPU affects the input, audio and maybe physics for a game though GPUs supporting DirectX 10 and newer are better at physics than the CPU these days. If the CPU has any part to deal with the graphics card functions in a game, one of two things have happened. The game's graphics don't give the GPU a workout so the GPU just passes everything over to the CPU, or there is not enough VRAM in the graphics card so some of the graphics gets off loaded to the RAM the CPU uses. The latter case can cause latency issues that slows the perfformance down dramatically.

• 4 weeks later...
MY RIG E7300cpu.Gigabyte G41MT M/B.4GIG 1066-1333 ram.MSI 6850 g/card.1TB Hitachi Sata drive.HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM.24"LG LCD.Im able to run it on ultra settings.My query is:IF I swap in a GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 as well as dropping in a i5 2500k,If the increased caches improve the experience and increases whatever numbers are being utilised.Am I missing something incredibily obvious.ta in adv

Your GPU is not top notch, and the only CPU that I think you CAN upgrade to without changing the mobo as well is another Phenom II X4 or a Phenom II X6, which WON'T improve your performance in skyrim, as it's mostly limited to CPU speed not the number of CPU cores.

For 200$(USD?), why on god's green earth did you want to buy a 6850??? You can easily buy a GTX 560 (~200$USD) or even a Radeon 6950 with a good deal (~230$USD) which are both in every aspect superior.