The Perfect Skyrim

Chatt7

Pickpocketing

Problem

• Pickpocketing is a matter of saving right before an attempt and then quick loading untill you get it right. It completely destroys the sense of immersion.

Fix

• A simple minigame like with lockpicking, or a cooldown so you wouldn't be able to pickpocket right after a load game.

The problem with Pickpocketing (and Lockpicking) is their Perk Trees aren't enough to warrant investment. The solution (which I'm sure has been proposed before) is simply to merge them. Your idea simply isn't looking at the big picture, since the same thing could be said about any decision you make in the game.

Brotherhood quests:

--> Quicksave

--> Kill NPC

--> If caught or seen, reload.

Stealing/Sneaking

--> Quicksave

--> Take loot or backstab

--> If caught or seen, reload.

Tackling tough enemy (like giants)

--> Quicksave

--> If killed, reload.

The World Map

Problem

• There is no ‘fog of war’ and your exact location is always marked on the map. This spoils the world, makes it feel smaller and takes away from the immersion and excitement of exploring.

Fix

• An old school hand drawn map, which is being updated as you travel the land. Your location are not marked directly nor indirectly, but has to be derived by looking at your surroundings (mountains, rivers, etc) or by asking people.

I'm sure there's conflicting opinions out there, but I for one am okay with the current status quo. Quests are always there to lead me by the nose, but when I want to explore I can simply follow a road or the compass until I find something. Wandering blindly in Morrowind was simply frustrating.

Fast Travelling

Problem

• Fast travelling ends up being the only way you travel if you don't restrict yourself. It does NOT feel like travelling. You might as well have opened the console and typed in a coordinate. It destroys the feeling of immersion and makes the world feel smaller.

Fix

• Remove fast travelling. Raise the prices of the caravans, so it would actually cost you something to travel all across Skyrim. Spread out special monuments and add a spell that ports you to the nearest of activated monument. Activate the monuments by visiting them. Add some sort of debuff or a cooldown so you wouldn't teleport all the time.

I'm of the opinion that mounts (like horses) need to become the mode of transportation to replace fast travel. This has been discussed before, but I'll just outline my arguments against completely eliminating Fast Travel. Skyrim is scenic and beautiful but I don't want to spend all my time moving back and forth between cities.

Rather, I'd like to see penalties applied to using Fast Travel; perhaps you're unable to take your mount with you when moving between cities or exploring ruins. Say your horse/mount is carrying +50 lbs. of extra weight that can be used for storing loot. Perhaps Fast Travel causes fatigue or makes the player weary (which in turn effects stats and performance in battle) and a horse/mount eases the burden of travel. These are incentives for the player to explore the continent without relying on Fast Travel.

Rather, I'd like to see penalties applied to using Fast Travel; perhaps you're unable to take your mount with you when moving between cities or exploring ruins. Say your horse/mount is carrying +50 lbs. of extra weight that can be used for storing loot. Perhaps Fast Travel causes fatigue or makes the player weary (which in turn effects stats and performance in battle) and a horse/mount eases the burden of travel. These are incentives for the player to explore the continent without relying on Fast Travel.

I nodded my head in agreement as I read this (figuratively), but I want to make the point that applying penalties may not be the best method. I think it would better to provide incentives and rewards for taking those paths rather than penalizing others. Fast travel kills immersion, unless it is used in a believable way, like Morrowind. You had to pay a fee to fast travel, which I think is a good compromise between being realistic and efficient.

Thinking of Oblivion mods, Unique Landscapes, All Natural, Mart's Monster Mod, Traveling Merchants, Frans, OOO, etc etc made traveling worth it. I didn't want to fast travel because I stand a better chance of obtaining great loot, or at the very least, seeing something very cool. I think as people continue to mod Skyrim, and after the release of the CS, we will start seeing mods that enhance the actual world of Skyrim so that traveling IS worth the time.

That is my hope anyway.

Edited by droscoe2

Well here is my idea of a perfect Skyrim.

======================================

AI

- NPC's don't repeat something they just told you

- Companions are actually smart.

- Guards don't veer from one comment to another

example

"Ebony Armour......by Ysmir tis a wondrous sight"

5 seconds later.

"You can sell off that junk at Bits and Pieces"

=======================================

Weapons

- Maces still the same speed but have a damage bonus against armoured and giant creatures.

- Swords still the fastest but are fairly weak against armoured targets.

- Knives have a 50% chance of a insta kill when backstabbing, but only if unarmoured or wearing light armour.

- Ability to dual wield shields.

- More unique weapons.

======================================

Dragons

- More types of Dragons

- Red Dragons

- Bronze Dragons

- Ebony Dragons

- Daedric Dragons

- Wyrms (wingless Dragons)

- Cave Dragons

- Far more damaging attacks, breath adds a health drain for instance while claw and tail swipes have a chance to send the Dragonborn flying.

========================================

Armour

- More unique armour (Ysgramor's armour, Tiber Septim's Helm, Armour of solitude etc)

- Melt down armour into base components.

- retexture's for each one.

=======================================

This isn't my whole list, just the most important parts of it.

Are people really quicksaving before every little thing? If I get caught trying to lift someone's wallet, I run or fight. It's a small fine, anyway. Getting in and out of trouble has always been much of the fun in TES. For me, anyway.

On the map, I like the idea, though you should be able to buy a map too. It would be silly to think a cartographer has never been there. Manually putting in locations would be nice.

Edited by uruku7

I like these,

But, as long as the quest journal tells me what to do or where to go. The "Miscellaneous" tab is filled with random things like "talk to him' or "Find this" and I'm just like "WHERE THE F#@$!?!"

I don't want it like Gothic, I quickly grew to dislike those games because of this. I lost track of who is where and my quest journal get's filled with names and places but give no hint of where to find those! >_<

So.. rant over. Remove quest markers, sure, but make sure people know where to go.

-"Jakyl lost his sword in a bear cave not far south of Solitude. I promised to find it and return it to him. He'll be waiting for me in The Winking Skeever"

Edited by DeadxPixels

I like these,

But, as long as the quest journal tells me what to do or where to go. The "Miscellaneous" tab is filled with random things like "talk to him' or "Find this" and I'm just like "WHERE THE F#@$!?!"

I don't want it like Gothic, I quickly grew to dislike those games because of this. I lost track of who is where and my quest journal get's filled with names and places but give no hint of where to find those! >_<

So.. rant over. Remove quest markers, sure, but make sure people know where to go.

-"Jakyl lost his sword in a bear cave not far south of Solitude. I promised to find it and return it to him. He'll be waiting for me in The Winking Skeever"

Word!

For me, what would make the perfect skyrim would be to start a new faction from any hold. A third option if you will. Then take over the other holds and drive out those haughty elves, asinine imperials, and stormcloak bigots.

Also, there are many more ways it could be a more immersive experience. I am not a big fan of game mechanic changes as the main way to look at whats wrong. Why don't all your friends visit your home from time to time? They should come say hello. Why not celebrate a holiday? Why not help improve a town and finally drive out one of those stupid jarls and impose new rules yourself? Get rid of corruption or become more corrupt yourself. Those are the kinds of mods I like to see in games.

Some good ideas here. I personally hate the new map, but thats my personal preference. I removed the compass and quest markers in the ini becuse I don't like RPG's that hold my hand.

Having played all the TES games what I find lacking in Skyrim is the way you can just advance in guilds without having a skill at a particular level. I'd also like a longer guild quest experience, the Dark Brotherhood ,Thieves and Mages Guild are all seriously short and after completing them I was left wondering where the next quest was. More character options would also be nice, I personally would like classes brought back simply because if I want to play a pure mage I have to force myself to do so and not choose any tempting combat perks, rather than automatically being restricted.

All my Skyrim characters feel the same, " A Jack of all Trades", which is a shame because I love the richness of the world and the new more unique dungeon designs.

For me, what would make the perfect skyrim would be to start a new faction from any hold. A third option if you will. Then take over the other holds and drive out those haughty elves, asinine imperials, and stormcloak bigots.

Also, there are many more ways it could be a more immersive experience. I am not a big fan of game mechanic changes as the main way to look at whats wrong. Why don't all your friends visit your home from time to time? They should come say hello. Why not celebrate a holiday? Why not help improve a town and finally drive out one of those stupid jarls and impose new rules yourself? Get rid of corruption or become more corrupt yourself. Those are the kinds of mods I like to see in games.

Someone's been playing too much New Vegas

but I 2nd this idea.

Yeah it is VERY subjective what makes it "Perfect" That's why I love mods. We can all make it "Perfect" to us yet none of us among the hundreds of thousands who use mods might have the same two mod list :D

The biggest turn off for me in modern RPGs as that it rains Gold [money] on from every oriface and pixel in the game. I miss the old school RPGs where I had to grind for 6 hours just to upgrade my "Shiny Sword" to a "Shiny Sword +1" Sadly Oblivion rained down upon you gold, rare items, so you ended up with millions of gold and the best gear in game and NOTHING to buy. Skyrim is no different.

So to me the perfect Skyrim would be one where I better loot every body and chest I come across from level 1 to 70, as well as steal every item I can JUSt to cover my training, housing, spells, equipment etc.