Beware the Glowing Light

Quirkyblonde

BE WARNED, THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD. IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED KAGRENZAL RUINS OR DO NOT WANT TO READ SPOILERS ABOUT RUINS THAT DON'T APPEAR TO HAVE A QUEST ATTACHED TO THEM, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Holy Crap!

So I've been on this mining kick, so I can do more smithing for less money, so I can level up in smithing so I can improve my Nightingale armor. Seems roundabout, I know, but that's why I'm mining.

So I'm out wandering Skyrim, pickaxe in hand, whacking away at every vein of ore I happen upon. My ever eastward journey leads me to a previously undiscovered (by me) Dwemer ruin called Kagrenzal. So I wandered in and found a big square room with lots of rubble and in the middle a strange glowing light. Being the curious type I touched the light.

BIG MISTAKE.

Immediately this round fence thing springs up around me and I realize that there are corpses surrounding this glowing light and I'm thinking, oh great! Did I remember to save before I went in here? The light makes this obnoxious siren noise as it whirls around the room a couple times, then returns to it's starting point and sinking into the floor. So now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. A charge of electricity or some other spell to zap me into Sovngaard (and I just left not that long ago!)

Imagine my shock (no pun intended) when, instead of uber zappage, the floor proceeded to tilt and flip over like a pancake on a griddle and me and my new corpse friends are being dumped down a huge pit. And I do mean huge. I felt a little like Alice in Wonderland!

Eventually I land with a ker-plop into a deep pool of water and have to travel through lots of tunnels, and lots of Falmer, to find my out at Stony Creek Cave (which has some great moonstone veins, FYI).

Long story short - Beware the glowing light!

If you wander from Azura's Shrine towards Saarthal, you can find a cave halfway along the path (the bottomless hole), which isn't a cave, but a direct drop into a destroyed dwemer ruin covered in ice and snow. Since you cannot get out the same way (high above you), you can do a nice walk across the falmer-infested tunnels back to Skyrim. Although nothing special by itself, I love that there are so many non-similar locations across the province, instead of the generic dungeons of Oblivion.

(That tombs and dwemer ruins share a similar look and outlay is OK, we build places like that pretty similar too.)

I have to say that this little shocker was one of the better surprises I've come across so far. I love that Bethesda has built in some of these events that are kind of pointless. Not everything has a plot after all, sometimes weird s*** just happens in real life.

• 3 weeks later...

BE WARNED, THERE ARE SPOILERS AHEAD. IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED KAGRENZAL RUINS OR DO NOT WANT TO READ SPOILERS ABOUT RUINS THAT DON'T APPEAR TO HAVE A QUEST ATTACHED TO THEM, DO NOT READ THIS THREAD!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Holy Crap!

So I've been on this mining kick, so I can do more smithing for less money, so I can level up in smithing so I can improve my Nightingale armor. Seems roundabout, I know, but that's why I'm mining.

So I'm out wandering Skyrim, pickaxe in hand, whacking away at every vein of ore I happen upon. My ever eastward journey leads me to a previously undiscovered (by me) Dwemer ruin called Kagrenzal. So I wandered in and found a big square room with lots of rubble and in the middle a strange glowing light. Being the curious type I touched the light.

BIG MISTAKE.

Immediately this round fence thing springs up around me and I realize that there are corpses surrounding this glowing light and I'm thinking, oh great! Did I remember to save before I went in here? The light makes this obnoxious siren noise as it whirls around the room a couple times, then returns to it's starting point and sinking into the floor. So now I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. A charge of electricity or some other spell to zap me into Sovngaard (and I just left not that long ago!)

Imagine my shock (no pun intended) when, instead of uber zappage, the floor proceeded to tilt and flip over like a pancake on a griddle and me and my new corpse friends are being dumped down a huge pit. And I do mean huge. I felt a little like Alice in Wonderland!

Eventually I land with a ker-plop into a deep pool of water and have to travel through lots of tunnels, and lots of Falmer, to find my out at Stony Creek Cave (which has some great moonstone veins, FYI).

Long story short - Beware the glowing light!

Check this out im about to copy and paste a peice that i typed out that i was gonna send to Bethesda to find out what happened to me in game i came across this VERY differently. Pls read and get back to me once you do maybe by PM if you want. I found Kagrenzal backwards i guess but some odd things happened when i did lol

I stumbled upon this place called Kagrenzal and its in the back of Stoney Creek Cave or Mine and at the end of it is an open room where a NPC is mining a rock if you sneak up on him that is. Kill him and in that room is a opening in the wall with water coming out of it i managed to jump up high enough after manuevering around on rocks was tough but got in and in the back of that was a place where you go into another area(loading screen) and thats called Kagrenzal its a very wierd place after going thru some tunnels you end up in an opening with waterfalls and a deep pool of water at the bottom under the water there is a big treasure chest i looted it and swam in the water a bit and found what looked like a glitch like a place where the devs didnt match up the seams like the ones that would cause you to fall thru the floor and out into nothing and usually it ends in death or crawling outside the map well what happened next was very odd i did fall thru the map and after a odd moment of looking up at the cave me under it a good distance i spawned in a dwraven ruin also called Kagrenzal so im trippin out about now so i go with it and proceed down a hallway and into a open room with a strange glowing orb that i can activate surrounding this orb is a couple dead NPCs so i click on this object and this loud screech happens and this cage comes up around me and this orb is now on the outside making noises and after a few mins its comes back into the cage im in and goes thru the ground and then the ground im standing on comes from out from under me and now im free falling thru a verticle tube that is several 100 feet long this fall last for quite a few secs and i then end up back into the big cavern with the waterfalls and treasure chest. I dont know if this was meant to happen it kinda seems as tho it was something that was supposed to be scraped or something like that i dunno but id love to know more about it.

So after dropping out of the game and getting on the internet to search around to see if this happened to anyone else or if this place was meant to be found as i see now it is and i just found everything a**backwards lol. I dunno see if any of you can replicate what happened to me. In that big open cavern that you drop into there is a glitch or like i said above there its a spot where the devs didnt line up the seams and you can actually go thru it and under the map and you fall into nothingness and eventually spawn into those ruins with the orb all i know was it was extremely wierd. lol

I was actually disapponinted with this dungeon. Falling 100 feet to my apparant death was completely unexpected, but it feels like the developers were short on time so they just put in a bunch of falmor and called it a day. I was expecting some sort of Dwarven ruin, but instead it was just a giant anti-climatic cave.

I was actually disapponinted with this dungeon. Falling 100 feet to my apparant death was completely unexpected, but it feels like the developers were short on time so they just put in a bunch of falmor and called it a day. I was expecting some sort of Dwarven ruin, but instead it was just a giant anti-climatic cave.

I agree with you in that the drop was amazing, but the falmer thing was kinda disappointing, was hoping for something better.

At aawells, I almost did it backward like you, I just couldn't jump and make it, so I toggled the no clip code and levitated myself up there and went in to the back entrance like you. But then I went back out because I felt that it might appear later.

I wish this cave might've had more importance.

I agree with you in that the drop was amazing, but the falmer thing was kinda disappointing, was hoping for something better.

At aawells, I almost did it backward like you, I just couldn't jump and make it, so I toggled the no clip code and levitated myself up there and went in to the back entrance like you. But then I went back out because I felt that it might appear later.

I wish this cave might've had more importance.

Yeah i agree it definetly needed something more. You should try someday when your bored to find that hole in that pool of water at the opening once you go down the tunnels if you swim straight across to the other side then take a right and its behind the big pillar that holds up the walkway under water theres the hole that looks like a glitch or the seams dont match up or something as stated above and just try to get behind the map and see if it makes you fall and then it eventually makes you spawn in another area and for me it was an area that i hadn yet explored lol it was really weird. I dont normally play my games that way like some people do like try find glitches or try to break the game it was just something i just stumbled into lol. Have a good one:)