My comp died...

ResidentWeevil2077

I know this probably has nothing to do with anything, but my comp finally died... well, actually, the CPU fan gave (that's why I've been gone for a couple of days now). I needed a replacement retention module (the plastic piece that holds the fan down), and got that fixed. However, I decided it was high time I invested in a new rig, and I think I've got something decent this time. My new HP Pavilion Media Center m8226x TV PC has the following specs:

-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (yes, it's dual core)

-3072MB RAM

-500GB SATA HD

-NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE (that's nothing to sneeze at - while it may have 1343MiB of onboard memory, it only actually uses about 128MiB for video processing, which BLOWS MONKEY CHUNKS!)

-22" HP w2207 refurbed LCD monitor

-Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker system (it has a decent sub)

-wireless keyboard/mouse

-Windows Vista Home Premium

All that for about $1400CDN. My new rig is fairly decent now (albeit I'd need a new GPU), and I 'm qute content. I might end up getting a new Radeon HD 2600 series card (ATI has always been my GPU vendor, and I simply don't trust NVIDIA).

Very nice computer rob. :thumbsup: Except for the video. Save up some money and get one of the 8800's. It'll work nicely with your setup.

Ew... AMD... You should have gone with Intel. Though that's just my opinion. :rolleyes:

The gpu is a bit poor, yes, but you can get a perfectly decent one easily enough for a good price- I got my 8500GT 512mb a couple of months ago for just over £50, for example. If you want to go with ATI though, you might find they're a bit more expensive, and only the higher end ones can match most of nvidia's Geforce 8x series.

As for the processor... at the moment AMD are some way behind Intel in terms of speed and efficiency, but they're not that bad, really. Personally I'd have gone for quad-core too, but if you're not that serious a gamer, dual core should stand you in good stead too. All in all, at that price, you didn't do badly. :)

Archived