DVD ROM Drive?

latindancer

Bought a new computer (actually used, I'm poor) and have run several online tests that say it is fine to run Oblivion. However when I try and initially install Oblivion my drive doesn't even acknowledge that the disc is in there, it asks me to install a disc for it to read. I don't think it's the disc itself because my other (older) computer at least can tell that the Oblivion disc in the drive. Any suggestions? P.S. I installed my old Morrowind game just fine.

There are (unofficial) patches for that

Better avoid them when using OBSE mods. The game may become unstable, because OBSE don't like cracks or any other edit to Oblivion.exe.

Better go ahead with the .iso solution

Does the drive work with other DVDs? Sounds like it might be iffy. Wasn't Morrowind released on CD? My Morrowind discs are CDs. So maybe it is having trouble with DVD discs?

FYI, with the DVD version of Oblivion (at least the original release and GOTY), all you need from the DVD to run the game is the launcher. Since the launcher is installed already, if you can configure it to use the game directory as the "DVD drive", you don't need a virtual disc at all (I don't know how to do that on Windows, I use Linux+Wine). Or create a virtual disc with just the launcher on it. That doesn't help for installing of course, but no need to waste 4+GB of disk space on a virtual disc when running the game.

Can you or someone expand on that last part? I'd love to free up our DVD drive if possible, without a hack. Our Oblivion disc has been sitting in our drive for 10+ years now. :smile:

EDIT: Never mind, I found the info and it says "don't mention it on Bethesda's forums". Oops. Apparently there's no way to do it with the company's blessings.

Edited by TheMastersSon

Virtual disks are common in Windows, but I thought your comment (quoted below) related to something else:

"Since the launcher is installed already, if you can configure it to use the game directory as the "DVD drive", you don't need a virtual disc at all (I don't know how to do that on Windows..."

Also your last post relates to civil law, and what might be legal or illegal etc. I'm talking simply about Bethesda's wishes.