Construction Set for Skyrim, where is it?

Hannibalektr

I really, really, really hope that it comes BEFORE the 31st. Mainly because if it comes out say, tomorrow or Saturday, it's more likely that "they're satisfied with what they've put together for us" rather than "they're desperate to not break their word and delay again, and are basically releasing a public beta version (read: Practically unusable version due to bugs) of the CK as the 'release' version."

That concept swings the other way, and they could be saying "We're ready to go, but we sill have a week before we HAVE to release, so lets find and hammer out any bugs we missed".

You know... Speculation being what it is, things be pessimistic or optimistic. I try to err on the side of pragmatic optimism... keeps my blood pressure down.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh brother..... :psyduck:

Up until the end of December 2011, Bethesda never gave a date that the toolset was going to be released. They said they would try to get it released with the game, but never made any promises. The speculation and conspiracy theories are laughable at best. :laugh:

People also need to manage their expectations back to a reasonable level, if you ask me, which nobody did, but I said it anyway! :biggrin:

^ Yes, but they actually said they'd release in January, and confirmed "Near the end of the month", technically it wouldn't be delaying again if they said they held off till mid Feburary, it would be delaying for the first time, but they also implied (though they didn't state) a 2011 release, till that got pushed back to 2012. So in PR terms, it is effectively a delay.

Plus, since every other modding API Bethesda has released has been full of horrific amounts of bugs, just like every game they've ever made, I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to speculate that the CK could turn out to be a bug filled mess,

Edited by TheElderInfinity

^ Yes, but they actually said they'd release in January, and confirmed "Near the end of the month", technically it wouldn't be delaying again if they said they held off till mid Feburary, it would be delaying for the first time, but they also implied (though they didn't state) a 2011 release, till that got pushed back to 2012. So in PR terms, it is effectively a delay.

No, they didn't imply anything: You assumed.

There is a different there.

It has yet to be delayed and we are still in the set month. What seem to be the problem?

They don't sell us the Ck, so they don't lose, or gain, anything by giving us the CK. So if they feel they want to wait a year, then I don't see the problem? They would't lose anything. Thoose who only buy Skyrim for the Ck would buy it when it arrived, and the rest of us allready got the game. Again, they give us a bonus -- and we whine because we didn't get it when we wanted it. Again, what is the problem?

It has yet to be delayed and we are still in the set month. What seem to be the problem?

They don't sell us the Ck, so they don't lose, or gain, anything by giving us the CK. So if they feel they want to wait a year, then I don't see the problem? They would't lose anything. Thoose who only buy Skyrim for the Ck would buy it when it arrived, and the rest of us allready got the game. Again, they give us a bonus -- and we whine because we didn't get it when we wanted it. Again, what is the problem?

Well, it's perfectly within Bethesda's rights to not give a damn about what their customers want (hang the PR department!); and sure, they COULD just not release the CK, but that'd kill the Bethesda modding scene and send their PR into the toilet, which almost certainly equates to a drop in future PC sales (and unless the cost of developing the CK is more than (obviously its not) the profit gained from the PC market, I see no reason they'd do that). Which is why I expect the CK to actually be out in January; while delaying now would be the first real delay, in the eyes of a good number of people, it'd be the second or third time they delayed the release.

And we did not ASSUME that they would release the CK in 2011, they said they'd like to release it in 2011. While that's not as binding of a statement as "The Creation Kit will be released at the end of [January].", it still is a statement of intent, though I don't particularly begrudge them for not keeping that one. Honestly, as long as the CK comes before this Summer and isn't full of bugs, I'll be satisfied. Then again, there are many people who won't be satisfied, and might just ragequit the modding community if it takes that long.

Edited by TheElderInfinity

Sad fact: For every novice modder that ragequits, there are 400 behind them waiting to fill the void.

Impatience is a product of today's society based in and around instant gratification. You see it in media, you see it in technology, and you see it reflected in the consumer of instant gratification devices and policies.

I am of the opinion that these impatient people can either get a grip on reality and have some patience, or shut the hell up and just ragequit already. As a professional in this industry, the one thing I hate about my job is this particular demographic of the customer base (which is getting larger every day). :sad:

Matth85, once again you are making an apologia for Bethesda and you STILL don't get it. People who are saying that they want to get their hands on the CK are not JUST buying Skyrim for the CK. If they are anything like me, they bought Skyrim hoping against hope that Bugthesda might have learned something from previous releases and released the game in a fit state. And if they didn't produce a less buggy game(which they didn't) The Toddler had given us the impression that the CK would arrive soon after release, all the better to fix it up.

I am well aware that January ain't over yet so I do not consider that they are late as compared to the ETA that they gave earlier in the week.

If you think that Bethesda wouldn't lose anything by not releasing the CK then you are very much mistaken. I keep coming back to this, the manager of my local GAME store says that their company keeps on selling copies of Oblivion and Morrowind to this day because of the modding possibilities. Bethesda take inspiration and ideas from mods in one game forward to the next game. It's a mutually beneficial relationship.

@Sunnie, your post is pretty unhelpful, and contemptuous of your fellow members. People are getting impatient, not because they want to make big "oooh look at me" mods, but because they want to fix bugs. They'd like to see the UOP team grab the CK and lick Skyrim into shape. When a game is released as a buggy beta masquerading as a finished release, people are entitled to complain. Doesn't everyone complain when they get a poor service?

Sad fact: For every novice modder that ragequits, there are 400 behind them waiting to fill the void.

Impatience is a product of today's society based in and around instant gratification. You see it in media, you see it in technology, and you see it reflected in the consumer of instant gratification devices and policies.

I am of the opinion that these impatient people can either get a grip on reality and have some patience, or shut the hell up and just ragequit already. As a professional in this industry, the one thing I hate about my job is this particular demographic of the customer base (which is getting larger every day). :sad:

Believe it or not, I totally respect what you're saying and the opinion behind it, but these new bloods are blood, and the community's kind of like a vampire. We have to have new blood because old blood leaves us as some point. I would like to see what portion of the new blood will actually become modders, but we can't run them off just yet. Some of the best mods for Morrowind and Oblivion came from new blood who ended up sticking around.

But I'm also starting to get a tiny, tiny bit impatient. I said just the other day that I would rather them publicly announce a delay and hold it back until it's perfect - but they're acting like they'll have it out soon. I could care less whether it's delayed, but it's drawing near the time when they said they'd have it out and my anticipation is what eats at me more than my impatience.

It is said that it has been confirmed that the CK will come out with patch 1.4 (though independently). And that it should be out on Tuesday.

Don't bite my head off if that won't be true, but I found this info laying around Bethesda's forums so it should be quite legit :P

Edited by Esteris