Disappearing Body

JakeMiller1993

Ok, I'm been working on taking the greaves of a set of armour and combining to the cuirass to make into a whole outfit type thing so I can import it to skyrim for personal use. The mesh and textures show up fine in oblivion as a dropped item, but when I equipe it to my character his legs and upper body disappear. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Try looking at this link I posted last year. Look, Ma, no feet!!! I think it relates to a body replacer mod. I have had it crop up on several occasions because of because of body, clothing, armor etc meshes don't match. If you use OBMM, try deactivating your mod, (body, armor, etc. that you suspect) then reactivating it, then start your game. It seems to work for me. And something about using replacer mods that use only esp or esm files, they will always be there and not deleted, but if you don't use obmm, and just drop or paste files in your data file, they get replaced and gone forever until you re-install them either from Oblivion setup disc or the mod that has them.

I've tried similar things myself. I think it's more related to the original parts being defined as 'upper body', 'lower body' etc. but after you've mashed 'em together things aren't doing what they say they're supposed to do. I tried changing what they cover in the Construction Set, but the only time I've had any luck was changing robes from upper and lower body to just upper body. Some of my other experiments resulted in the invisible body parts you describe (if I recall I was trying to change an upper and lower body armor to just upper body). There are properties you can set using NifScope that are likely where your solution lies, but I've not tread down that path myself.

Is it a possibility that the combined mesh needs a new texture file to cover the entire piece instead of just part of it? I don't think you can have more than a single dds texture file associated with a mesh.

Do a search for invisible meshes and you will find some info. I just had a similar problem and it seems that invisible armor is a common problem. If things are showing up OK in Nifskope but not in game it may be a mesh problem rather than a texture problem.

I was trying to tweak the mesh for the cat's tails and when I exported it back to a NIF file, it was invisible in game. I had to compare my NIF block structure to the original and discovered that one block was missing and others were not in the same order. Once I corrected things, it worked normally. It was totally mesh related.

I suggest you do the same in NIFskope. Just make sure there are no missing blocks or things that appear out of order. Sorry to not be more descriptive but I'm not a NIF expert and just barely muddled through it myself.

Thanks, I'll player around with it in NifSkope.

Are these item already in oblivion . Ill take a shot at it . what are the meshes that you are trying to combine to one set of gear. RIGHT? and if it is for skyrim like You sed then why are you using it in oblvion ..

just the mesh still a bit rusty at icons and textures . but like i sed ill give the mesh mashing a try . ;)