Dragon Riders of Skyrim - An Eragon/Inheritance Based Mod

tomhughes

598 members have voted

1. 1. Worth pursuing?

• Yes
    • No

The second in power in this case would mean Odahviing was Alduin's right hand(wing?) man. The second most powerful, and after Alduin's defeat the most powerful, would be Paarthurnax who is also Alduin's blood brother and second born of Akatosh, meaning that Odahviing would come in 3rd. This is suggested when after Alduin's defeat the player returns to the troath of the world and Paarthurnax sets out to unite the dov under his rule with Odahviing watching the show at the side. Odahviing also suggest that the other dovah might have difficulties in assuming the way of the voice, but I got the general feeling that the opposition would come from their previous way of life being that of conquerors rather than Paarthurnax not having the mojo to realise it.

Also I wouldn't read too much into the son of god thing. Some believe that men descend from Lorkhan (aka Shor). Also the way I've undestood it is that the Aedra are on a way higher stand compared to Daedra, and generally interact with the people of nirn to a much lesser degree than the daedra so who knows what they think or do. It is said many times that Alduin acts the way he acts because he thinks it's his birthright to rule everything in nirn as the firstborn of Akatosh.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I killed Paarthurnax because I wanted to rule. The most powerful isn't Odahviing, or Paarthurnax, it's the player. We have the soul of a dragon, therefore, we are a dragon. We might not look like one, but the essence is the same. I view Paarthurnax as the lesser of the two friendly dragons, after all it took me a few minutes to get Odahviing to submit, but less then a minute to kill Paarthurnax. He's grown weak up on that mountain. He hasn't had the opprotunity to grow more powerful in his life as he had no one to test him, Alduin grew stronger by devouring souls, but Paarthurnax had no souls to take, he was the only dragon in the world, and he also had no access to Sovengarde. If he took any action against the mortal races, he would have been killed, so he simply waited

I was thinking about the dragonborn rider problem, what if, in the books when a young dragon is touched the rider gets a gedwey ignasia( silver hand thing) this could be what allows the new rider to be stronger than a normal mortal with the voice but not as strong as a full drwgonborn

I was thinking about the dragonborn rider problem, what if, in the books when a young dragon is touched the rider gets a gedwey ignasia( silver hand thing) this could be what allows the new rider to be stronger than a normal mortal with the voice but not as strong as a full drwgonborn

Well the thing is you, as Dovahkiin, can't just wait for these young'uns to grow up, nor can we necessarily simulate or model teenage characters.

Why not reform the dragon cult? Dragons and people pledging their souls and lives to the Dragonborn it makes perfect sense. Making the actual Dragonborn do the recruiting of dragons and the people. The dragons can teach their riders the thu'um slowly. The tests can still happen so they can prove the person is worthy of riding a dragon. Now you would have 3 types of things to recruit for dragons, dragon riders, and people who just want to serve the new dragon cult. Also keeps it more lore friendly without having 20 or 30 dragonborn running around.

If you need something to make it easier for somebody to ride and control a dragon could always throw in a better looking masks for the riders. Aka finding the materials for side masks could also be another way of adding quests in to it. Would also cover why the dragons would even allow riders in the first place. The rest of the ideas are just great but sort of lore breaking. The Blades wouldn't go for it at all. They hate dragons. The Greybeards wouldn't go for it because well they are about peace and pretty sure that subduing dragons for your cause wouldn't exactly make them happy at all. The Thalmor well yeah they would be pissed and they have the possibility of doing the same thing but controlling dragons which magic which would give a great nemesis to the group more so then just other dragons with another dragon leader.

Course I would avoid using the words Dragon Cult but the base idea is actually a good one and fits in with what you want to do.

'Alduin is gone. The Dovah are in disorder. is in chaos. Only an alliance can save them both.

With Alduin gone and the Dovah in a strained relationship with the Dovahkiin only an alliance between the two can prevent further war. To this end the Dovahkiin became formed a partnership with Odahviing thus beginning the Dragon-Riders. More Dovahkiin were soon discovered across Skyrim and futher bonds were formed. Now with the joined power of the Dovah and Dovahkiin finally someone might stand up to the might of the the Aldmeri Dominion.

Dragon-Riders, Dragon Brothers, DOVAH-ZEYMAH!

So there we with the basic premise. This is my plan for a Dragon Rider based mod based on ideas from the Eragon (Inheritance) series of books. This is the plan:

i) Gameplay Changes

- Rideable Dragons (probably a work in progress somewhere) - preferably with usable shouts from Dragonback, maybe weapons but seems quite hard

- More shouts - quicker use with more variation in power (in the books magic is done by words strung together - I believe this system could work well)

ii) New faction & quests - the Dovah-Zeymah

- Dragons & Dovahkiin are paired together forming a new order - not sure their role yet but I believe this could expand into a faction against the Aldmeri Dominion taking over Skyrim.

- New questline following Alduin's defeat as you create this new order and lead it to prominence

- New faction HQ north of Skyrim (think Doru Araeba) large enough to hold the Dragons

So that's it. Yeah just that. As I see it this would be a fairly likely scenario following Alduin's defeat - the Dragon's would be afraid of the Dovahkiin (he defeated the most powerful of them!) and Skyrim is weak following civil war prompting the Dominion to invade.

Anyway I'm not a modder (yet) so any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. From what I have seen from Oblivion mods this is all entirely possible so I am very keen to begin soon.

Stamfordian

Probably a too good to be true mod. Bethesda didn't even have horse combat system put into Skyrim, which was a major request from Oblivion and Morrowind. It would be an amazing mod though.

@yuurt

You wouldnt have to, the riders could bond with a dragon at anytime, and there is nothing to say that dragons grow at the same rate as the mortal races

I was referring to the riders.

Why not reform the dragon cult? Dragons and people pledging their souls and lives to the Dragonborn it makes perfect sense. Making the actual Dragonborn do the recruiting of dragons and the people. The dragons can teach their riders the thu'um slowly. The tests can still happen so they can prove the person is worthy of riding a dragon. Now you would have 3 types of things to recruit for dragons, dragon riders, and people who just want to serve the new dragon cult. Also keeps it more lore friendly without having 20 or 30 dragonborn running around.

If you need something to make it easier for somebody to ride and control a dragon could always throw in a better looking masks for the riders. Aka finding the materials for side masks could also be another way of adding quests in to it. Would also cover why the dragons would even allow riders in the first place. The rest of the ideas are just great but sort of lore breaking. The Blades wouldn't go for it at all. They hate dragons. The Greybeards wouldn't go for it because well they are about peace and pretty sure that subduing dragons for your cause wouldn't exactly make them happy at all. The Thalmor well yeah they would be pissed and they have the possibility of doing the same thing but controlling dragons which magic which would give a great nemesis to the group more so then just other dragons with another dragon leader.

Course I would avoid using the words Dragon Cult but the base idea is actually a good one and fits in with what you want to do.

Well I'd imagine there would be people worshipping the Dragon-Riders are wanting to join or get involved somehow, but they don't necessarily need to be coded except for adding another phrase that half of Skyrim will repeat to you when you walk past them (for example, "I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee." -> "People are talking about you. They say you teach others to summon the Thu'um and ride dragons... I've always wanted to ride a dragon...").