Dragon Riders of Skyrim - An Eragon/Inheritance Based Mod

tomhughes

598 members have voted

1. 1. Worth pursuing?

• Yes
    • No

I'm loving this idea. It gives a new purpose for being Dragonborn. I feel empty inside after finishing the main and Stormcloak quests. I wasn't satisfied with the choices I was given. Running around killing random dragons just feels useless now. Why bother.

As I was reading the posts I kept thinking of the Dragonriders of Pern. How they have a Hold (Keep, Castle) where the dragonriders live and care for there dragons. The people that serve the Dragonriders (NPC's) live there as well. I've also read the Dragonlance books as well.

Here are a few things that came to mind as I was reading all the posts.

1) The Blades being a prospective enemy is possible. Very likely really. I didn't like the way the Blades acted toward the Dragonborn. I think they have lost sight of the purpose for there Order (to support and protect the Dragonborn). There hasn't been a Dragonborn Emperor in 200 years. What have they been doing? Hiding. Running and hiding. I think its a good idea on its on and should be a separate mod. They need to be retrained. A new Blades.

2) The Dragonrider mod should be thought of as a large house mod with NPC's and side quests. It can always be expanded on but if it starts out too big it will never get finished. Trying to add a whole new map, a new land mass, is more like making a new game.

The area for the Dragon Hold would need to be large to support the Npc's needed to take care of the Dragonborn and his dragon. If you add in other riders and there dragons, well that is a lot more space needed. The sleeping area alone just for the dragons would be huge. A dead volcano would work nicely. You could enter and exit from the top. Caves along the sides for the dragons and the riders to sleep. There has to be a kitchen, dining room, Armory, storage of supplies and livestock. Large enough to feed people and dragons.

3) It needs to fit into the lore of Skyrim and follow the story. Most of us like to roleplay while we are in the game. It makes it more fun. That's why we like having so many choices for our characters. The mod shouldn't break the lore.

4) It should center around the Dragonborn. He/ she is the only one that really matters. Having other Dragonborn takes away from the importance of being Dragonborn. There is only one. Training others to fight dragons is a good idea. They don't have to be Dragonborn to kill dragons. The DB (I'm tired of typing Dragonborn) would need to absorb the dragons soul for it to be truly dead. So what purpose do the other dragonriders have?

5) Why should a dragon team up with anyone? That's a good question. They are intelligent, powerful beings so they would need a good reason. Would a safe place to sleep, free food and companionship be enough to win them over?

6) The player wouldn't need to attack from dragonback. In the air the dragon will do the fighting. The player could control the dragon and use its attacks against a enemy dragon. Once the enemy dragon has taken enough damage it will land then the player can land and dismount to fight it. The players dragon may help still or not. It shouldn't be a problem for the DB to finish it off alone.

That was just a few things that I was thinking of. I'm not sure if they helped at all. There are so many good ideas. I'm not a modder. I'm going to try and learn when the CK comes out. I have a few ideas I'd like to make. I wouldn't mind helping with quest writing and voice acting if you need a female voice. Sometimes the options the NPC's give are not the choice I want to make. There are women that play this game to. :}

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) The Blades being a prospective enemy is possible. Very likely really. I didn't like the way the Blades acted toward the Dragonborn. I think they have lost sight of the purpose for there Order (to support and protect the Dragonborn). There hasn't been a Dragonborn Emperor in 200 years. What have they been doing? Hiding. Running and hiding. I think its a good idea on its on and should be a separate mod. They need to be retrained. A new Blades.

We're already working on a Blades upgrade (the concept at the moment, since CK isn't out yet), called Reforging the Blades.

Maybe it could be useful to work together, since we plan on making a dragon ally path for the Blades. Just an option.

Edited by JibstaMan

Hmm, it would be really interesting if this mod had a second chapter, one that extends the Aldmeri Dominion invasion. Say by chance that the elves in Morrowind had discovered a new, secretive Dwemer chamber that holds blueprints for prototype flying mechanisms. If the Aldmeri get those and load a number of ballistas on them, it'll even out the odds a bit.

you could use Mr Silka's Dwemer Skyship from Oblivion, although my guess is that they were only successful because they were totally unchallenged. You'd have to come up with some way to protect the balloon, or maybe do without it altogether. In the Elder Scrolls novels they were able to keep a city aloft with a magical device that used souls for power. They were able to keep the Ministry of Truth in the air above Vivec for a while by using it to slowly devour the souls of several people. That could be a way to deal with the ships, fly in, dodging fire, work your way into the ship, kill the people powering it, and leap back onto Odavhiing before it plunges to earth.

Hey,this is cool. I planned to start a mod like this myself (I am a big fan of Inheritance cycle series),but i never had enough time. Anyway,could you use a modeller?

I've been using Cinema 4d for years,but i'm planning to move to Maya in the near future. I can show you some of my works later :)

Dont mess this guys dream up budz I kinda get the feeling your coming in this thread and stealing the guys spotlight and at the same time getting ppl to signup for your own mod.. Dude thats just unethical

I want to see this mod work. I want to play this mod. jibstaMan was just suggesting making them compatible, like a cross-over. So you can have both mods and they compliment each other. It would add a new level to both mods. I like the idea of this mod and hope you can make everything you have in mind for it.

@ Vancer2 & darthmomis

I'm not messing up tomhughes' dreams nor stealing his spotlight. If anything I helped him get the project started - he came to me with this idea to implement it into my mod. Seeing the potential of his idea I courteously rejected it and instead showed him how to set up a team and forums for his mod. This way he could have this huge following that he does and won't be subject to mod limitations that my mod will present. Also, I felt that his idea and TFG would go nicely hand in hand, but I also knew that others may want to play with one and not the other. As a result, we've been building around each other to give a complimented feeling should the mods be used in conjunction. Not a few weeks later the Blades mod came to my attention and I PMd Logiwink and tomhughes for the three-way compatibility and both accepted. So now the three of us are working around each other, making sure to keep maximum compatibility. Since Jibstaman suggested what he did, I was merely commenting that said concern is already in the works. :wink: