About Paarthurnax, the Blades and the Dragonborn

Soresu

Obviously there are SPOILERS ahead:

What do you think about them ? Are Delphine and Esbern right, or do you believe Paarthurnax is no longer a threat to the world ? Who did you side with ?

The story behind Paarthurnax reminds me Anakin Skywalker at the end of Star Wars Episode VI. Once evil under the influence of Alduin, but then betrayed him by siding with mortal men, saved the world. And thus atoned for his past crimes. But that depends, whether he should answer for his past crimes (for massacring hundreds of people in the Dragon Wars) or not depends on the conscience of the player.

My humble opinion is the Blades (whats left of them anyway) are an outdated organization. Delphine and Esbern are old, humiliated, narrow minded, spiritually broken and can not see reason and can not even give a solid reason for demanding the murder of Paarthurnax, except clinging to some hundreds of years old vengeance. They are in no position to pass such a judgment, let alone have the wisdom for it. Also the Blades sworn to protect and aid the Dragonborn, not to rule over him. Yes they are dragonslayers but in the end they bow to the will of the Dragonborn, not the other way around. This alone explains Delphine and Esbern are no longer remember their vows and responsibilities as Blades.

Edited by Soresu

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I personally didn't slay Parthanax. I simply didn't agree with it. Sure he'd done some bad things in the past but he helps you out a lot in the course of the game. Offering useful advice, the knowledge regarding the Elder Scroll etc.

Sure he may have his own agenda but I liked to think he was trying to make amends and didn't deserve to be slain on the word of some bitter and vengeful Blades.

I killed him, felt bad about it, but got over it because I wanted to take over the other Dragons. Paarthurnax would have gotten in the way of that. Never fully trusted him, he helped me and all, but I think his only REAL reason for helping me is to save his own hide when Alduin comes calling. After all, Paarthurnax betrayed Alduin, and now he's back and the only one with the strngth to defeat him is this puny mortal? I'd think he'd want to give us as much help as possible to make sure Alduin doesn't kick his butt and throw him off the mountain.

I can't kill Paarthurnax... apparently he's voiced by Mario...

Seriously though... Screw the Blades. I think Bethesda could have done a much better job fleshing out Delphine and Esbern's character but I think I only spent a whole 2 minutes talking with them and most of it was them falsely accusing the Thalmor and ordering me around... and then when I finally get to saving the world?

Delphine: "That's great but if you don't kill Paarthunax we never want to see you again."

Besides, what's not to like about a sagely old dragon that has (seemingly) overcome his destructive nature and actually provides help that's... well, helpful. Kinda bummed that's I'm missing out on some extra content but it doesn't feel right to beat on the old dragon.

For me it's not about pity. I don't pity Paarthurnax. But the Blades are simply wrong. They're not giving me an option to make my case to defend Paarthurnax, and why he should live. They're stubborn old bigots, who have already forgotten the ways of their order. They offer me no wisdom, no logic for their demand, only to tell me some hundreds of years old vengeance and tale about a once evil dragon. Paarthurnax actually helped me in my fight agains Alduin, where were Delphine and Esbern ? Paarthurnax shared me his wisdom on dragons, dovahkiin, and the way of the voice. Delphine and Esbern only gave me some history lecture about a long disbanded organization which I could even get the info from many common books in the game. They tried to use me to rebuild the Blades, what they have lost, what they couldn't defend against Thalmor. Delphine stole an artifact Greybeards sent me to find, only to be able to contact me. Even then she didn't trust me and made me prove it. Then she used me to rescue her deserter friend Esbern from the Thalmor and from his own cowardice. Then they used me to secure their long lost Temple. And then they tried to use me kill Paarthurnax for their own egotistical revenge. If they were so resolved for that as they claimed to, they would try to kill him themselves instead of ordering me to do it.

Delphine and Esbern's attitude is unacceptable. They are obliged to help me and support my decisions. I am the Dragonborn, I am the one their order taken vows to serve. I saved the world from destruction and yet they have the guts to order me around. That was preposterous.

Edited by Soresu

Yep I pretty much laughed out loud when Delphine demanded that I kill him. "Who the f do you think you are?" came to mind. The remaining blades are a sad little (2 person) band, led by a woman who can't get over herself or her blind prejudice. Not a good person to listen to. Ever. They never even really did much to help the dragon born.. my character views them as (highly) expendable pawns that have outlived their small use and are now annoying him (wish I could kill Delphine..)

I can't kill Paarthurnax... apparently he's voiced by Mario...

Seriously though... Screw the Blades. I think Bethesda could have done a much better job fleshing out Delphine and Esbern's character but I think I only spent a whole 2 minutes talking with them and most of it was them falsely accusing the Thalmor and ordering me around... and then when I finally get to saving the world?

Delphine: "That's great but if you don't kill Paarthunax we never want to see you again."

Besides, what's not to like about a sagely old dragon that has (seemingly) overcome his destructive nature and actually provides help that's... well, helpful. Kinda bummed that's I'm missing out on some extra content but it doesn't feel right to beat on the old dragon.

I dont think it could have been put better, my sentiments exactly. The Blades were so shallow and undeservingly overbearing in character that when they said, HE MUST DIE, i just ignored them. Im not happy that im missing out on content, but I dont think I could ever come round to killing parth simply for those reasons. Its Ridonkulus! :hurr: +1 kudos

Yep, their reasoning was utterly batshit. I ... want to kill them.

Speaking of which, has anyone managed to get the 'SetEssential <baseID> 0' console command to work on essential plot NPCs? Those two need to die for the insult to me and my old friend Parthy.

Edited by Bingo Bango

I have done horrid things while playing this game.

I am a proud servant of Mehrune's Dagon, Molag Bal, Boethiah, ANY daedra lord I can find really. ANY.

I sacrificed my windhelm housecarl to Boethiah because I didn't like the way he talked to me.

I quicksave so I can fire breath any guard who talks smack.

To decide Paarthurnax deserves death because he worked for Alduin during a time when there was NO CHOICE BUT to work for Alduin, is to decide that I, the dragonborn, hero to the world and thane of ALL of skyrim, also deserves to die.

Esbern can lick my taint.