Arena, Daggerfall remake

Ovennamedheats

Since Arena comprised the entire Tamriel continent, it would not only take an enormous amount of time to rebuild that one to today's standards but the game would ship on 6 DVD's lol.

Or it could be one Blu-ray for PC. Not too many people have BD drives for their computers let alone DVD drives anymore.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Played both games when they were new, and loved them. However, Daggerfall's map was a pain in the backside. Walking everywhere took forever, and a lot of the random quests were "talk to this random citizen here in town. He will send you to the farthest reaches of the map to a randomly-spawned dungeon. Clear the dungeon, in hopes of retrieving item X. Then deliver that to this other person in a completely different corner of the map, who won't be there. But the townsfolk tell you they are somewhere in a (huge) general area way over there. Have fun finding their house." LOL Still, good memories, even despite all that. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I own all the TES games to date other than Arena. Daggerfall was my first and thus my introduction to the world of TES. I enjoyed it, so i purchased MorrowWind, Oblivion, Skyrim and ESO.

I had Skyrim for both the PC and Xbox360. :D

If they ever did remake Daggerfall i would at Least try it out.

~Majykfingrrs~

Oh wow, that sounds like quite a headache. Thanks for the answer.

It would be fairly simple (in AAA game dev terms) for a studio to do. Loads of games use procedural content (Minecraft, No Man's Sky, etc..). In fact procedural content is often faster and easier than making an entire world by hand which is why indie devs tend to use it a lot. Even Bethesda use procedural tech to a limited degree - their ambient quest system for example, or the system that determines some NPC's loot.

The problem with Daggerfall is it would be an entirely different type of game, using a pipeline that Beth doesn't currently have in place. I'm sure if there was an indisputably huge call for a remake, Zenimax would put a team on it, but it's unlikely Bethesda Game Studios would be involved.

Well, the "Skyrim Beyond" team will try to make Tamriel and they have already finished Bruma, but as everyone has said already, trying to make all the Tamriel provinces "Skyrim-Oblivion" sized and fill it with quests, characters, voices, treasures, secrets... it would take years for a major studio with an almost unlimited budget to complete in less than 5 years. Look TESO, they have been working on that for... more than a decade? They have finished a lot but there is still a lot of things missing. So, despite I desire the best of the Skyrim Beyond team I seriously doubt they will accomplish their goals unless a millionaire funds them out of kindness.

Personally, I would love to see Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 converted into FO4 gameplay. Those games had excellent stories and a pretty nice world, I would actually buy them if Bethesda decided to sell them as new prime top buck AAA games.