I want to make a god wizard.

KaizoMK

By "god", I mean a wizard who doesn't just kill everything, but rather uses battlefield control to make it easier for other people to kill everything. You know, like a good wizard would in D&D. So I'm thinking Alteration, Conjuration (summons), and Illusion. I'm playing on Master. Any tips? Am I doomed to fail? Is there something I'm missing? Edited by KaizoMK

By "god", I mean a wizard who doesn't just kill everything, but rather uses battlefield control to make it easier for other people to kill everything. You know, like a good wizard would in D&D. So I'm thinking Alteration, Conjuration (summons), and Illusion. I'm playing on Master. Any tips? Am I doomed to fail? Is there something I'm missing?

Personally I think that any pure mage non armor wearer should get conjuration up ASAP, so you have meat shields. I also think illusion is nice for control, but once you get past level 30, its usefulness goes out the window since I believe the highest level illusion spells effect is 30. Personally I think any dedicated master mage should eventually make robes that have 100% Fort Destruction, and 100% fort Restoration. Being able to heal yourself and blow things up unlimited amount of times is very helpful. Not to mention the spell ward from resto is really nice for handling casters. I am in the process of making a pure mage using only robes, and first thing I did was get enchanting up to 100, because destruction is just worthless without, especially on master difficulty. i would also recommend these mods mod 1 or mod 2 to make destruction less crappy. I have tried the first one, and think its good, but I notice its having the same issues as vanilla post 30 since the spell damage is a fixed number. I am going on my second go round for a pure mage because I made some mistakes along the way with my first pure mage.

You might want to use enchanting to make some Items cutting the mana cost of Alteration and Illusion late-game so you can spam master-level crowd control. The highest cost for cojuration spells (namely permanent summons) should be around 400 mana even with the master perks as well, but since the summons are permanent you won't need to spam them. If you're ok playing an armored wizard, you can enchant armor just as high as robes for less reliance on defensive buffs. Maybe some restoration perks will be nice too, especially recovery and avoid death, but the expert level "Grand Healing" and "Circle of Protection" would also fit your character Idea. You should of course get a follower very quickly. And you won't be able to fortify your own damage output to ridiculous heights like weapon-users are.

You might want to use enchanting to make some Items cutting the mana cost of Alteration and Illusion late-game so you can spam master-level crowd control. The highest cost for cojuration spells (namely permanent summons) should be around 400 mana even with the master perks as well, but since the summons are permanent you won't need to spam them. If you're ok playing an armored wizard, you can enchant armor just as high as robes for less reliance on defensive buffs. Maybe some restoration perks will be nice too, especially recovery and avoid death, but the expert level "Grand Healing" and "Circle of Protection" would also fit your character Idea. You should of course get a follower very quickly. And you won't be able to fortify your own damage output to ridiculous heights like weapon-users are.

Right, the idea was summons and Lydia. I'm still a bit afraid that I won't be able to survive until then or that it won't work at all, but then again, true to wizard style I'll get invisibility soon enough. :D