Capital!

crimor

Yeah Arion, its what an English gentleman would say (probs due to fact he is actually quite noble even tho hes a master thief)

if i could be an english gentleman, i would say excellent. capital seems a bit strange, maybe because we don't hear it often (unless you don't talk to the gray fox hundred of times... XD)

• 1 month later...

In addition to the definition given in a previous post, I find him saying "Capital!" quite amusing because "capital" is also another word for money... so he's a thief and he's telling you to swipe things while using a word which means "great!" but also means "money!"

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

cap·i·tal1 /ˈkæpɪtl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kap-i-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun

1. the city or town that is the official seat of government in a country, state, etc.: Tokyo is the capital of Japan.

2. a city regarded as being of special eminence in some field of activity: New York is the dance capital of the world.

3. capital letter.

4. the wealth, whether in money or property, owned or employed in business by an individual, firm, corporation, etc.

5. an accumulated stock of such wealth.

6. any form of wealth employed or capable of being employed in the production of more wealth.

7. Accounting.

a. assets remaining after deduction of liabilities; the net worth of a business.

b. the ownership interest in a business.

8. any source of profit, advantage, power, etc.; asset: His indefatigable drive is his greatest capital.

9. capitalists as a group or class (distinguished from labor): High taxation has reduced the spending power of capital.

–adjective

10. pertaining to financial capital: capital stock.

11. principal; highly important: This guide offers suggestions of capital interest to travelers.

12. chief, esp. as being the official seat of government of a country, state, etc.: the capital city of France.

13. excellent or first-rate: a capital hotel; a capital fellow.

14. capital letter.

15. involving the loss of life: capital punishment.

16. punishable by death: a capital crime; a capital offender.

17. fatal; extremely serious: a capital error.

[Origin: 1175–1225; ME; (adj.) (< AF) < L capitālis of the head (capit-, s. of caput head, + -ālis -al1); (n.) < ML capitāle wealth, n. use of neut. of capitālis (adj.)]

—Related forms

cap·i·tal·ness, noun

• 2 weeks later...

"But, on the other hand, these new freedmen became sellers of themselves only after they had been robbed of all their own means of production, and of all the guarantees of existence afforded by the old feudal arrangements. And the history of this, their expropriation, is written in the annals of mankind in letters of blood and fire. " The Capital, Vol I, Ch. 26

Just one of many examples, actually the whole of Vol I, Part VIII deals with it. Das Kapital/The Capital is about whole processes of economic transformation, you are wrong in narrowing that down to only fiscal aspects. What Marx also had to explain was how capital comes into being and also of course its counterpart, wage labour. Well, shortening things a bit here. Anyway, "robbed of"... and the english title is The Capital, so there you go. http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/index.htm

And that's what brought this thread up. Actually the explanation that it's a rather pompous exclamation reminds me of yet another german book, Heinrich Mann's "Der Untertan". The protagonist, Diederich Hessling, is in the habbit of doing just that qute a lot. Kolossal! (hard to translate, a pompou version of whooping maybe)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Der_Untertan (The title is just as hard to translate, nearly impossible without loosing the undertones.)

Kolossal! derives from colossos (anc. greek) (like that statue in rhodes - one of the world wonders of ancient times) and means basicly somin damn great/huge/immensive... colossal... often used like that : this new show is kollosal (a like in arthur) (or full german "diese neue vorfuehrung ist kolossal!")

"der untertan" sucks... had to go through it in school lol...

der = the

untertan = subject (like in "hes the subject of king goerge") or even better "subserviant"...

Ja, so weit schon richtig, aber kolossal ist eben auch so richtig pompös, sozusagen am allerüberriesigsten. Wie transportiert man das, dieses bis kurz vorm Platzen Aufgeblasene? Great trifft es sicher nicht... Capital! Hehe. Du Jamaikaner äh Kiribatianer.

Das grundsätzliche Problem bei wortgetreuen Übersetzungen literarischer Titel ist, dass Begriffe in diesem Zusammenhang eben nicht einfache Bezeichner sind, sondern Statthalter ganzer Bedeutungsfelder. Kondensierte tag clouds, um es internetmäßig auszudrücken. Darum würde ich beispielsweise subject für völlig untauglich halten, subservient ist schon besser, aber eben auch kein Nomen und meines Wissens nach auch nicht substantivierbar. Selbst wenn wäre es ein Neologismus anstelle eines gängigen Begriffs und allein dadurch schon unangemessen. Wirklich, es ist nicht leicht. Sieht man auch an den wechselnden Titeln der Übersetzungen. Und darüber hinaus auch bezeichnend...

Sorry, folks, but this was over my head in English. Would have taken too much time and I'd still feel not really sure if I made my point clear.

I think there's nothing on earth so damaging for peoples readyness to spent some quality time on great literature than all that forced essays following tiresome lectures of uninspired teachers. Give t a try again if you have a thing for history, which you obviously have. I don't think you'll regret it.

Archived