Steam ignored my settings and updated the game

calyps

Don't like Steam, don't like Skyrim. Can't wait to uninstall both.

Is it because you can't make odd-looking characters like in your avatar? ;D

But seriously, my game crashes more often with the new patch. I hope this smooths over soon. Because like you said (while I wouldn't do it) the patch in question makes me want to pirate the game too. No wonder some people DO, even though it's sad THAT they do...

Don't like Steam, don't like Skyrim. Can't wait to uninstall both.

Is it because you can't make odd-looking characters like in your avatar? ;D

But seriously, my game crashes more often with the new patch. I hope this smooths over soon. Because like you said (while I wouldn't do it) the patch in question makes me want to pirate the game too. No wonder some people DO, even though it's sad THAT they do...

I'll take odd over generic any day of the week ^ I actually haven't crashed much...until I installed a map mod. Going to have to get rid of it. Ironically, Skyrim has behaved very well on the bug front for me.

If you can still get your hands on it, you can run the original binary that doesn't require Steam at all. Just rename it to something like "TESV.GTFOSTEAM.exe" :happy:

The Skyrim Script Extender (Currently in a Pre-Release phase to prove the fix for 1.2 resistances and show a sample plugin) is the Skyrim equivalent of OBSE by the same core team. Fully functional (Well, as functional as it can be without the CK for hooks/etc)

Steam auto-updated in offline mode for me one time, and I just blocked it with the firewall, so it can't do crap. If you don't want steam auto-updating, better block it with the firewall.

Thank you. Steam just lost firewall access.

Steam auto-updated in offline mode for me one time, and I just blocked it with the firewall, so it can't do crap. If you don't want steam auto-updating, better block it with the firewall.

And if you do this, can you still play? The game doesn't need to phone home in some way?

I got auto-updated too, contrary to the settings I chose. Now, so far it hasn't caused me any problems that I've noticed, but I do have some pretty serious concerns about the behavior of the Steam client. Nobody accesses my machine without my permission. If I won't let my boyfriend touch my computer, then I sure as hell am not going to let some anonymous company do it.

I have never in my entire life pirated anything. Seriously I'm a freakin' Pollyanna. I really resent being treated like a criminal.

I wonder how many people who used to be ambivalent to steam became haters after all the crap with Skyrim's patches.

I'm definitely very upset with them over this changing-my-settings bullsh**. But they have been so beneficial in so many ways for so long, I can't straight up hate them. But this crap of ignoring settings and downloading unwanted updates has to change.

@Goblin Girl

I blocked them in my firewall and the game loaded up fine.

This is why I download cracks for all my steam games. It's extremely irritating to be told that Steam is "Good DRM" or that I'm stupid for complaining about needing to be online to play my single player games when there's an offline mode (which requires you to be online to use).

I bought the boxed copy of the game, I shouldn't even have to deal with this crap. Pirates don't.

I have never in my entire life pirated anything. Seriously I'm a freakin' Pollyanna. I really resent being treated like a criminal.

Either have I: I don't know how to. I pay for what I want.

But don't be offended. This is just another case of the minority ruining things for the majority. And they don't care.