Vampirism, Not Cannibalism...

TheSuey

~The Vampires of Skyrim~  

96 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• I disagree - Vampires in Skyrim are perfect as they are.
    • Vampires in Skyrim are fine.
    • I agree - Vampires in Skyrim are depraved creatures.
    • I strongly agree - A mod should be made to revamp them.

:armscrossed:

Note: I'd reccomend reading my argument before polling.

In my understanding of vampire lore, vampirism involves drinking human blood, not eating their flesh, I don't understand this; each dungeon I enter such as Bloodlet Throne Keep has mangled bodies everywhere, blood strewn across the walls and plates with stripped down hands and feet on them, that is cannibalism. This depiction of vampires is to me, a farcry from the distorted noblistic and almost romantic ideals that most fantasy vampires have. When I think of vampires, I think of families of well respected, established and powerful individuals that control a brood underneath them. (My idea would be like the Black Briar family in Riften.) Not these depraved wretches that live in filth and squalor. Imho, Beth has made a mistake in depicting them in this way, it seriously detracts from any reverence I would have otherwise held for them and I instead view them as mere creatures to be exterminated.

TL;DR: Vampires in Skyrim are cannibals, not the noble, powerful clan-like groups of lore that they should be. :confused:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/173/e/b/Another_Vampire_by_hgjart.jpg

Edited by TheSuey

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Big whoop? Skyrim vampires aren't Anne Rice vampires. Skyrim vampires exist in a land where necromancy is legal, marriages are compulsory and meaniningless, barfights are met by the guards with cheers and wagers, and the whole darn place is full of NORDS AND ORCS.

Skyrim vampires are skyrim vampires. Oblivion had Cyrodillic vampires. Morrowind had 3 freaking vampire clans.

Every continent has a different culture, every culture will harbor different vampires. Skyrim just happens to be the kind of place where bludgeoning someone in the face is a form of accepted diplomacy.

Heck, these vampires could be Namira worshippers for all you know.

Edited by Miraboreasu

Big whoop? Skyrim vampires aren't Anne Rice vampires. Skyrim vampires exist in a land where necromancy is legal, marriages are compulsory and meaniningless, barfights are met by the guards with cheers and wagers, and the whole darn place is full of NORDS AND ORCS.

Skyrim vampires are skyrim vampires. Oblivion had Cyrodillic vampires. Morrowind had 3 freaking vampire clans.

Every continent has a different culture, every culture will harbor different vampires. Skyrim just happens to be the kind of place where bludgeoning someone in the face is a form of accepted diplomacy.

Heck, these vampires could be Namira worshippers for all you know.

The vampiric powers gained being a vampire in Skyrim is week. The stealth and illusion bonuses are not really that attractive at all, so are the powers. There is no supernatural strength or extraordinary regeneration ability that a vampire should be entitled to. And you have to deal with daylight penalties to boot.

Being a lycanthrope in Skyrm, ie a Werewolf is much more rewarding with the brawn of bestial fury. You can easily send a bandit flying with a charged swing or rend them to pieces on the ground.

Nuff said, being a vampire in Skyrim is good for clandistine inclinded players, not really for the warriors or wizards? lol

I think it is probably appropriate for Skyrim vampires to be this way for the most part. I could be wrong as I'm going from memmory, but I believe that the more "civilized" vampires are fewer in number and are mostly in Cyrodiil. That would include vampires such as the count of Skingrad and a few others. It would seem, as it was the case in Oblivion, that vampires in the Elderscrolls come in two varieties. Those who can control their impulses and can live among other people without being noticed too much, and then there are all the others which are very bestial in nature.

I duno, perhaps a few of the more refined types would be nice to have to balance things out, but I see nothing wrong with having the cannibalistic variety.

Do not be deceived the vampire is not the friend of the living. The noble vampire as you describe along with the sympathetic vampire are relatively recent adaptations to the vampire myth beginning 1847 with the James Malcolm Rymer's serial Varney the Vampire; or the Feast of Blood which greatly influenced Bram Stokers Dracula. The ancient Babylonian, Greek and Egyptian tales depict a more ghoulish demon that drinks the blood and devours the flesh of its victims as it seeks to renew its life with by consuming the vitality of the living. I would vote to leave the Skyrim vampires as they are, an adversary worth hunting.

They'd be cannibals if they ate other vampires.... anyway I was a vampire who also ate people. I cured the vampirism, I still eat people. Thanks, Namira.

Vampires in puffy shirts hanging around mansions being snooty is a pretty recent thing, given how long the vampire myth has been around.

Edited by uruku7

While i agree that the Skyrim vampires are different in culture that other vampires, it is a fact that the way Vampirisme in TES games functions is stupid and sucks(pun not intended).

The Powers and effects to be a vampire is really less appealing then beeing a Werewolf, and it is sad.

This should be a hard decision to make, something that you will think about and pounder for some time before making a decision,because it will affect the way you play.

Here there is little benefits to become a Vampire, even compared to the fact that Werewolfs can't use anything else but their claws and teeth.

They should be on par with each other, not one that is more obvious then the other one.

Perhaps a new mod could introduce a questline when you become a vampire to found a new clan, build up an estate from a ruined fortress/village, perhaps even use goldenglow because of the connections with the blackbrairs. There REALLY needs to be at least some change to the perception of vampires in skyrim. I actually like this idea the more I think about it :biggrin: Edited by TheSuey