Getting paid to mod? Great! Paying for mods? Ohh....

OnlyOneWing

216 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for mods?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Only if it is extremely cheap.
    • I refuse to pay, but would donate.
  2. 2. Would you want to charge for your mods?

• Yes, I put a ton of hard work into them and receive little in return.
    • No, I am just glad that people enjoy my mods.
    • I would rather accept donations from satisfied gamers.

I would definitely refuse to pay. Paying for a mod without having tried it is just pure lunacy. If a mod has a mandatory price of even 0.01$, it's a no-download for me.

I definitely wouldn't mind the option to donate however.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitely refuse to pay. Paying for a mod without having tried it is just pure lunacy. If a mod has a mandatory price of even 0.01$, it's a no-download for me.

I definitely wouldn't mind the option to donate however.

Agreed, fully. :)

It really depends on the mod itself, there are mods that dont take much effort to make and there are mods, where modders did a far better job then Bethesda...such people would defenatly deserve a payment for that. Edited by pavy

I voted yes, because the way the options are set up....

Long post, but interesting reed.

I agree, so long as the price charged for a mod is very low... Since it doesn't require the initial investment/overhead of a full videogame it should not be priced as if it did.

I might pay 15$ for an extremely well done overhaul. For 50 additional armors and 50 Additional weapons I might pay 5$.

But for a single suit of armor + weapon I would only pay 10 cents.

I doubt it could be a persons sole-income... But if you made 500$-10,000$ off of a mod that you spent a lot of spare time on it would be a great reward for your creativity and hard work.

Also, if you are a modder and you want a job working for Bethesda or Bioware or something and you show them your portfolio and that you've made $20,000's off of mods that you did, that is more impressive than simply saying 200,000 people downloaded my mods.

Bethesda said explicitly FREE content, though I SUSPECT that yes, they may challenge modders in a "premium content challenge" and give prizes / share of profits. But that's about it. Skyrim isn't TF2 btw folks.

I don't know why people are so worked up over it. Me, I'm just worked up having to wait 'till next year for the damn CK because of this.

Edited by Jackal2233

I think some modders deserve to be paid for their mods... Hell, I've purchased DLC that wasn't half as good as some of the mods I've used.

But donations would most likely be the reasonable way to go. It is a good balance.... since piracy is a huge issue already, outraged people may just pirate pay-mods.

You also get to play the mod before you surrender your money. Also, kids and people who may not have the funds to pay regardless will be able to enjoy the mods too.

For me, paying for a mod would heavily depend on the time and effort that went into it, as well as the final result for Skyrim. I'd easily pay more for a mod that had a few months (Years, depending on complexity and exhaustiveness) of development behind it. For something like a re-tex... I'm not sure how much I would pay (If at all), it would depend on the re-tex. Something like Companion Vilja from Oblivion? Easily more than just a few dollars.

Perhaps Bethesda should look at a "Suggested Price" system which depends on factors like;

• Total Man Hours (Staff x Hours Worked)
  • Popularity
  • User Rating

Something like Companion Vilja from Oblivion? Easily more than just a few dollars.

Most definitely - the superb job I found was that she commented with EACH quest in vanilla oblivion. It was like a whole new experience with her around. That's a high standard though you know, Vilja took years to perfect.

Edited by Jackal2233

Paying for mods, any amount, defets the whole puprose and point of modding. You can go all the way and call it "DLCing" or something.

Donations to grand mods is something different, but it's supposed to be by fans for fans, not making mods to get rich / getting mods for money.