how do you place an item into the world and not have it belong to anyone?

sankojin

Some Cells have ownership by default (Click edit on the cell in the cell view window to check) any items placed in a cell that has ownership will automatically be owned by the owner of that cell.

Setting the items ownership to "None" would likely still default the ownership to the owner of the cell so maybe set the ownership to "Player".

Now that you have brought this up I'm gong to have to do some checking because I've also hidden items in cells that I know have ownership.

I'll do some looking into this and get back to you but I think my first assumption is the way to go.

Edit: I was correct, I just looked at Valentine"s Detective agency which does have ownership valentineFaction. It contains a Robco Fun that the player can take even before the player is in Valentine's faction, it has ownership set to player. This means that is how you would have to deal with items in owned cells that you want the player to be able to take.

That is super useful to know. It always bugged the heck out of me that after doing the USS Constitution quest siding with the robots and getting the captain's quarters that everything is still marked as stealing. It makes it hard for anyone who wants to actually use the space. I always figured one day I'd get around to fixing that and now I have a better idea of how. :D

Some Cells have ownership by default (Click edit on the cell in the cell view window to check) any items placed in a cell that has ownership will automatically be owned by the owner of that cell.

Setting the items ownership to "None" would likely still default the ownership to the owner of the cell so maybe set the ownership to "Player".

Now that you have brought this up I'm gong to have to do some checking because I've also hidden items in cells that I know have ownership.

I'll do some looking into this and get back to you but I think my first assumption is the way to go.

Edit: I was correct, I just looked at Valentine"s Detective agency which does have ownership valentineFaction. It contains a Robco Fun that the player can take even before the player is in Valentine's faction, it has ownership set to player. This means that is how you would have to deal with items in owned cells that you want the player to be able to take.

Thank you so much Chucksteel, this is awesome and really helped me out. I knew there had to be a button somewhere.

Happy to help guys, To be honest this is something I knew about from FO3/NV but I had been placing some of my collectable items and totally forgot about it myself. I just wanted to look in FO4 just to make sure the system didn't change before saying this or that was the issue.

That being said you also reminded me and helped me to fix what would have been an issue at some point. :thumbsup: