Skyrim is so generic.

agamer

In my opinion the a.i is way better than oblivion, no one wants to hear "goodbye" conversations now do you? I once walked in a inn in skyrim (the same inn a few times actually) and i heard the innkeeper yelled out "You got that bread (or sumthing) name?" and name reply "stop getting on my back i'm getting it!" and the innkeeper reply back "these ppl are hungry hurry up!" so i thought that was cool beside in oblivion you just get this "...How can i help you?" Maybe you need to be more observant and pay attention to the more finer minor details in the game

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem isnt the design, its the designation. Skyrim is not a RPG, its an Action/Adventure game. Now as this, its amazing.

It walks the fine line. The most frustrating about it is the fact that they show their ability in the small things, like people getting into a fight over dropped weapons.

But, as I said in a different thread. The main problem is the competition between game companies always hunting for the COD crowd and the lowest common denominator to make the most money. They're saying, action can never be wrong and if there are cuts to be made, they're usually made in the roleplaying department. It's what they call "streamlining" and others call dumbing down.

And there is a disturbing tendency of making any game fit for people, who barely know how to push a button. It remains to be seen if that's a valid strategy for the future.

Skyrim's quests whether long or short seem to be played out as mini games that do not connect to the rest of the world. Find a quest, finish it, move on to the next with no effect on the rest of the gameplay. It's almost like an elaborate hunting game. Find deer, shoot, level up, move on.

Housecarls like Lydia sit in the same spot in my bedroom all the time. She never does anything else around the house. My husband and Lydia are always in the house together but never say one word to each other. Other NPC's rarely stop and shoot the breeze together like they did in Oblivion. Little things like that make the game more realistic. How hard would it have been to program that into the game after hyping this RPG for so long?

After clearing out a cave with a companion, they say, oh look a cave, maybe we should investigate.

Oblivion was more RPG than Skyrim is. I was one of millions that waited months/years for this game to be released. I really expected so much more. There is no heroism in this story. Bethesda should have learned from Oblivion that people like heroism. That's why they made Knights of the Nine because people complained there was no heroism/nice guys options.

And the reason i started this thread is because maybe Bethesda will pay attention to customer complaints and fix the game. So, there is a reason for starting this thread. Thanks everyone for your input. Kudos.

but in reality it's a series of linear questlines wrapped in an action/exploration game

I dont understand your comment here.

Skyrim IS an action/exploration game, with some RPG spiced on. The world is open, the quests are all over. It really doesn't get more open than that. If you mean faction quest and all, then *gasp* Who knew progressing the main quest is linear!

RPG.

Role Playing Game: You play somebody else in another world.

I currently play a Nord Warrior in Skyrim.

I am playing another role, which got no preset given to me. I choose myself what to do, and when. Isn't that the definition of "Role Playing Game"? Or have the term changed the past 20 years?

Me confused :(

The irony is all the whiners never mention alternatives that are vastly superior....empty criticism is for fools in the peanut gallery

Empty? Last time I checked nearly everybody keeps mentioning alternatives or games that have pulled the mentioned aspects in a better way (some of them made or published by Bethesda). The only empty things in all these threads are the one liners of people dropping by with some flamebait.

Your post is a prime example the absence of relative alternatives coupled with even more whining = un-constructive criticism aka waste of breath..

Maybe you can think of a better game in the same genre hereafter and debate the cons and pros..

And the reason i started this thread is because maybe Bethesda will pay attention to customer complaints and fix the game. So, there is a reason for starting this thread. Thanks everyone for your input. Kudos.

When hell freezes over. Recoding the AI would mean a whole new game. Rewrites, voice acting and the likes. Sadly, because of the voice acting and not knowing what is hard coded, there's also hardly a chance for the modding community to take care of these issues.

Also, one shouldn't expect too much when it comes to user feedback. First, there's only a small portion visiting boards and from this, there's another portion not being satisfied with things. The majority are probably action players, who are wholy satisfied with a high tech Diablo.

But its really the gamebreaker under certain circumstances. I just started a new character and came to the first dragon kill and being made Thane. The first thing a guard says to me after being honored is "hands to yourself, sneak thief". It's almost as if this game wants to throw immersion breakers at your face.

Edited by abaris

The irony is all the whiners never mention alternatives that are vastly superior....empty criticism is for fools in the peanut gallery

The only part that cracks me up with whiners is they come here making a whine thread "attempting" to change others views on said game. You don't like the game, fine, what's the point of making new thread about it?

Skyrim sold 7 million copies in its first week and is impossible to please everyone

Maybe you can think of a better game in the same genre hereafter and debate the cons and pros..

Did I say I don't like the game?

Nope.

Am I disturbed by one lining people, dropping in on every thread where they can let off a little flamebait without any constructive elements?

Yup.

But for the record, and since you obviously didn't read any of the previous posts, there are certain games handling some aspects better. The Fallout series for example (published by Bethesda), the first Dragon Age - certainly not the second. But I assume, you didn't expect an answer anyway, cause otherwise you would have bothered to actually read what people have criticised.

And as far as pros and cons go - read up what I actually said in previous posts. If you're really interested that is.

In my opinion the a.i is way better than oblivion, no one wants to hear "goodbye" conversations now do you? I once walked in a inn in skyrim (the same inn a few times actually) and i heard the innkeeper yelled out "You got that bread (or sumthing) name?" and name reply "stop getting on my back i'm getting it!" and the innkeeper reply back "these ppl are hungry hurry up!" so i thought that was cool beside in oblivion you just get this "...How can i help you?" Maybe you need to be more observant and pay attention to the more finer minor details in the game

That right there is what everyone doesn't do, then bs over it. :thumbsup:

you many like the other games and if you do, don't come to skyrim play for an hour or two. or just run through the quests then give crap.

i dare you to side by side both the games don't care what, no mods and see whats better. that is what you should do if your going to complain between the two like that.

this is so annoying hearing people complain like this come on. :facepalm:

" --- Don't like something go to mod requests and put it in a request someone will make it. don't like the game then leave, don't waste time making posts no one will care, just leave and keep it as a personal thing and tell your buddies or whatever. --- "

but i guess no one will listen and take this in mind so just going to put it out there. :dry: