7 zip wont work with nvse

larrykenobi

NVSE is packaged with 7Zip, so most likely you need to update your version to a later one. The other possibility is that 7Zip is not in the search path of your OS (hence "unsupported command"). That will usually only happen when it is installed incorrectly. Updating or reinstalling should also fix that.

Sometimes people (often unintentionally) package an archive using a "proprietary" method that more generalized archive tools can't support for either legal reasons or it's newer than they are. WinRAR is a case in point. It's also an argument for only packaging with a tool commonly in use in the target community, like 7Zip. The simple solution is to keep a variety of archive tools on hand.

Note the RARLAB tool is "trialware" (limited time functionality unless you buy it). I've used "Free RAR Extract Frog" successfully on other RAR packages from both the Nexus and elsewhere.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

I've used different kinds of compression software and Winrar seems to be the best for me. But If you're looking for something free full version app, then jzip could work for you.

http://www.jzip.com/

It's a complete app, it's free and is better than 7zip. I was using it for 3 years until i bought Winrar. Try it out and let us know what you think.

• 3 years later...

If you have 7Zip installed onto your own computer correctly, it will be associated with the file extension of ".7z". Whenever you double-click on a file with that extension, the 7Zip program should then automatically open that file. Then you need to tell it where you want to the extracted files in the archive to be placed (i.e. navigate to the destination folder). You have options to just unpack the contents into that folder, or to unpack into the name of the archive created as a new sub-folder (or any of a couple of other options).

-Dubious-