Vampirism Enhanced

Switch296

sounds awesome. werewolves should be souped up as well. I like this idea

To be honest at the moment werewolves are pretty awesome already. I'm not sure what I would change.

They already jump super high, have super strength, speed, night vision, etc.

If I was to change something about them it would be in a seperate mod.

The one thing I would change is make it so that you can instantly switch between human and werewolf form at will with no cooldown but I'm sure someone will make a mod for that soon.

Edited by Switch296

I don't like the third point to be honest.

Nor the 12th.

Why? Well, 3; Vampires are fast, yes, but they generally wouldn't move as human beings. According to most myths about vampires, they shift their shape in one way or another (depending on the origin of the myth) - Sometimes into wolves or bats, sometimes they turn themselves to mist, sometimes they would eliminate their third dimension to slip through springs and under doors. Yet, you pick a 'superhero' move from a modernized version of the myths which turns them from being nightmarish monsters into something one would actually dream of becoming? It just doesn't fit, IMHO.

12th; Again, there are tons of myths about vampires being able to climb vertical walls unhindered, turning into bats or just flying as they are, telepathy doesn't feel right, it's something I admit would be nice to see in Skyrim at all as a spell, but not a vampiric trait.

And remember, becoming a vampire shouldn't just hand you every tool you'd need to rule the world, it's more fun if you'd actually have to do some work yourself and require some training in magic and/or stealth arts to prey on your victims.

I was thinking about something like this the other day, though it was limited to #6. The one thing that bothered me most about vampirism in TES games (or at least the ones I've played: Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim) is that vampires somehow get more powerful the less they feed, and somehow turn back into a fledgling as soon as they have a sip of blood. All those other fancy doodads are nice and all, but modding it so all the bonuses start off at well fed, while keeping the compounding weaknesses as you starve would make playing a vampire worthwhile. I tried it with my thief/assassin character, and almost immediately looked for the guy who could cure it.

sounds awesome. werewolves should be souped up as well. I like this idea

Werewolves, compared to Vampires, are literally OP. I think the only thing they need to be souped up with, is the fact that their claw damage needs to scale with your character, and maybe add more Hircine Totems for customization of the shouts. That's it.

I don't like the third point to be honest.

Nor the 12th.

Why? Well, 3; Vampires are fast, yes, but they generally wouldn't move as human beings. According to most myths about vampires, they shift their shape in one way or another (depending on the origin of the myth) - Sometimes into wolves or bats, sometimes they turn themselves to mist, sometimes they would eliminate their third dimension to slip through springs and under doors. Yet, you pick a 'superhero' move from a modernized version of the myths which turns them from being nightmarish monsters into something one would actually dream of becoming? It just doesn't fit, IMHO.

12th; Again, there are tons of myths about vampires being able to climb vertical walls unhindered, turning into bats or just flying as they are, telepathy doesn't feel right, it's something I admit would be nice to see in Skyrim at all as a spell, but not a vampiric trait.

And remember, becoming a vampire shouldn't just hand you every tool you'd need to rule the world, it's more fun if you'd actually have to do some work yourself and require some training in magic and/or stealth arts to prey on your victims.

Telepathy sounds like something Liches should have, since they float and all. :P

I think every "monster" should be set up around the Werewolf concept. Y'know, you get some passive bonuses in human form, maybe a couple minor spells/powers; but you REALLY get the kicker when you transform into your "Beast mode".

Vampires basically, would become more "hungry" in this mode (Maybe looking a bit like the Falmer, but with eyes), activating all of their awesome beast-mode powers. You'd still have to feed in your normal form, since you'd get constant debuffs and negatives to your hunger, but the more hungry you are, the more times you can use your "beast mode".

And as with Werewolves, in "beast mode", you'd have a "shout" power (What it is depends on what Blood Chalice/Insert-name-of-artifact-here you have equipped), but with your melee attacks, you'd also have that cool life-drain attack like Vampire NPCs do. Fitting in with the concept that Vampires are to thieves/rogues, as Liches are to mages, you would gain super stealth bonuses when crouched in this form (Essentially becoming invisible), and each sneak attack you do on an enemy, you feed on their blood.

Such "shouts" in this form could include:

A toggled mist/bat form, which allows you to fly, and/or become ethereal. (Could work as a constant drain of magicka/health/stamina/whatever like Clairvoyance)

A player-centered AOE charm spell that makes up to 4 NPCs fight for you.

A shout power that creates a "Blood Golem" (Possibly a retextured Troll or Frost Atronach?) from corpses in the area.

Edited by IxionInc

...telepathy doesn't feel right...

Telepathy sounds like something Liches should have, since they float and all. :P

Let's be clear: The OP is talking about telekinesis, that is, the ability to move things with your mind not telepathy which is the ability to read others' minds. Telekinesis is not really a common trait in the myths, real or Skyrim, whereas telepathy is in a lot of stories. They are, after all, master manipulators... Could be done as a speech buff that rises with vampire stage/level. Final stage could allow to all intimidation/persuation attempts succeed, possibly special dialogue options, etc. Still, telekinesis reminds me of Joachim from Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. He floated like a lich and his main weapons were a handful of swords that floated around him until they were flung towards enemies and eventually pulled back if they got stuck in the ground or whatever. Could be a cool addition to vampires, maybe if there were classes of vamps or something.

As for the beast form looking like a falmer with eyes... I didn't really favor the idea of a vampire beast form but I guess if you're going for the Nosferatu look then maybe that could work. You could put in a spell to make people temporarily think you're normal or you could have a permanent fear effect where all lower level people would flee in your presence (but not necessarily animals) or both. You could turn the jump command into a transform-into-cloud-of-bats command or transform into mist or whatever to fly wherever you wish when in beast form, it could have a time limit that increases with vamp level after which you would fall back to the ground in mist/bat form then transform back to vamp beast form (avoiding fall damage). It might also be good to put limits on the time one can be in beast form, possibly tied to vampire stage.

Now for feeding... I agree with the above post that Bethesda's idea of gaining power through blood starvation is silly. Personally I think the two should be entirely separate entities. There was an Oblivion vampire mod that made powers progress with age and, I think, blood thirst reduces with age. I think the most mythically accurate (as silly as that sounds) way to do it is have three or four or five or however many stages of vampirism with whatever buffs each may have progress with player level gains after being turned. Tying the vampire aging effect to level would be more realistic, you gain experience about being a vamp and thus increase your powers as a vamp just like with any of the magical disciplines. Plus, it's less tedious than aging in a set number of days. Besides, some vampires progress faster than others...

Blood thirst would hit you every night when you are young, less often when you are older/higher level. The thirst would give you the current vampire-in-daylight penalties regardless of the time of day: no regen of anything, increased weakness to fire, reduced strength, etc. If you are a higher level vamp then the hunger should have levels, first level gives the usual (or reduced) penalties and knocks your buffs back to the previous vamp level and successive hunger levels could knock you back to having no buffs or powers at all as well as all the penalties due to your extremely weakened state. It should be the hunger that turns you into the creature that the guards will attack and the peasants will flee from, not your age and power as a vampire.

Daylight penalties are a debatable point. Most stories involve vampires bursting into flames that burn them to piles of dust upon getting hit by daylight, which would be a pretty awesome effect to add to the game and it would explain where the vampire dust ingredient comes from in Skyrim since none of the vampires currently turn to dust, ever. The Vampire Chronicles (Interview with a Vampire, etc) suggest that resistance to sunlight grows with age as mentioned in a part about the first two vampires who are revered as gods. They choose not to move and so are basically statues and one vengeful vampire drags them outside to die in the rising sun after which the first ones got a sunburn but all other vamps were either killed or grievously injured by the act (all vampires have a connected life force in those stories). I'm not sure what would be best here but I think that covering all of one's body with clothing or armor should help, such as the Nightingale armor that hides all of the wearer including the face or the Dark Brotherhood armor which does the same. Perhaps this ability would just reduce daylight penalties so that top level vamps could walk more or less freely in daylight when suitably clothed while first level vamps would still be fearful of the light but no longer die instantly from it.

Edited by r4y30n