Institute concourse - remake?

mkborgelt13

I really don't like the Institute concourse.

The first time I went down the elevator, I was like, "Oh... so this is Mass Effect now?"

My dislike for this place is so great it prevents me from taking the faction seriously. What's that you're saying, Father? Sorry, the lights are too bright, I have to squint.

I do like the "Old Robotics" area, and the older, "behind the scenes" locations, and how the ceiling folds up at night. But the overall "Apple Corporate Headquarters" irritates me.

- What's with the water feature? Seems like a waste of drinking water.

- Why so much wasted space? It's underground, it takes time to excavate.

- Why make everything out of honeycombed tiles?

- Where are the support beams for those curved balconies?

- the DNA helix elevator is a bit much.

I want to re-do the concourse and attached laboratories. I've been considering using the "hospital" or Mechanist's lair tileset.

For now I've been tweaking the lighting and imagespace, and removing the stupid signs (these people live here, have grown up here, and it's very small,

they'd know exactly which door leads where). The signs are only for the player's convenience.

Also,

- Where do they dispose of trash and junked synths?

- Where do they dispose of dead bodies?

- Where do they melt down scrap?

- The synth fabrication room is too small. Where is quality control? Where is their supply of biological material stored? Who makes the bones?

- and most importantly, where do gen3 synths sleep. There are no beds for them.

My question is -- should I bother, given how many scripted events take place here? The layout of the concourse and the labs is built around the quests which take place there. The player's first entrance, for example. If I totally remake these interiors, I'd have to carefully reposition NPCs and markers so as not to mess anything up.

I really don't like the Institute concourse.

The first time I went down the elevator, I was like, "Oh... so this is Mass Effect now?"

My dislike for this place is so great it prevents me from taking the faction seriously. What's that you're saying, Father? Sorry, the lights are too bright, I have to squint.

I do like the "Old Robotics" area, and the older, "behind the scenes" locations, and how the ceiling folds up at night. But the overall "Apple Corporate Headquarters" irritates me.

- What's with the water feature? Seems like a waste of drinking water.

- Why so much wasted space? It's underground, it takes time to excavate.

- Why make everything out of honeycombed tiles?

- Where are the support beams for those curved balconies?

- the DNA helix elevator is a bit much.

I want to re-do the concourse and attached laboratories. I've been considering using the "hospital" or Mechanist's lair tileset.

For now I've been tweaking the lighting and imagespace, and removing the stupid signs (these people live here, have grown up here, and it's very small,

they'd know exactly which door leads where). The signs are only for the player's convenience.

Also,

- Where do they dispose of trash and junked synths?

- Where do they dispose of dead bodies?

- Where do they melt down scrap?

- The synth fabrication room is too small. Where is quality control? Where is their supply of biological material stored? Who makes the bones?

- and most importantly, where do gen3 synths sleep. There are no beds for them.

My question is -- should I bother, given how many scripted events take place here? The layout of the concourse and the labs is built around the quests which take place there. The player's first

entrance, for example. If I totally remake these interiors, I'd have to carefully reposition NPCs and markers so as not to mess anything up.

Why would you have "disused" parts of the Institute anyway ? Wouldn't space be at a premium ?

And Liberty Prime says it is 5 metres underground - hell you could dig down with a shovel or drop a decent size nuke and cave the roof in !

I'm just gonna go ahead and try this.

Make new interior architecture closely matching the original layouts. Delete the old architecture, reposition my architecture, bam. I think I might even be able to use material swap on existing set pieces to remove the "Apple Corporate Headquarters" effect.

Also spruce up the greebles, like seriously, there is ONE greeb they just recycle for every piece of equipment.