Oh em gee, how do I mod Fallout 4?

Murielkai

Haven't been at this for long but when I started modding Fallout 4 immediately after its launch I read that I had to make this change (http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/videos/87/?):

You will need to add the following line to the Fallout4Prefs.ini file below the section marked [Launcher]:
bEnableFileSelection=1

You will need to change the following line in Fallout4.ini:
sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

Recently I read that the previous change was out dated and should no longer be used, the article says that the only change for modding Fallout 4 you need to make now is (http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Fallout_4_Mod_Installation):

How to enable modding

1. Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4"
  2. Within this folder you'll find a number of .ini files.
  3. Open (or create, if missing) Fallout4Custom.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++).
  4. Add the following lines to your Fallout4Custom.ini [Archive] bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 sResourceDataDirsFinal=
  5. Save and close Fallout4Custom.ini

So, right now the only change I am using is the later (aside from the individual mods various instructions) and so far things seem to work right, as far as I am aware. Am I doing this correctly?

Yeah, I updated it before modding my game again. The new patches broke all my mods from earlier this summer. Luckily I got most of the way through the game before adding any mods at all so i have good saves to go back to.

What I found was a choice on the start game page option for "Mods". You would need an account with Bethesda.net made beforehand and that will take you to their site where you can enable your mods (https://mods.bethesda.net/#en/workshop/fallout4/view-all?platform=WINDOWS). I use it and they seem to work well after that.

Also, you need to go to:

C:\Users\(username)\Appdata\local\fallout4\plugins.txt and right click on it. Choose 'Properties' and disable 'Read Only'. If don't see the Appdata folder open Windows File Explorer, access Tools > Folder Options > View > then select “Show Hidden Files”. In Windows 10 open File Explorer, 'View' tab and click Hidden Items.

Open plugins.txt in Notepad and add an '*' (asterisk) before every unofficial mod plugin file (both .esm and .esp).

EXAMPLE:
Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
*CBBE.esp
*MiscHairstyle.esp
*stop hammer time.esp
*Brighter Piplight.esp
*PrescriptionGlasses.esp
*YourHouseSurvived.esp
*HidePipboy.esp

Save the text file.

Select 'Properties' again and enable 'Read Only' for the file.

See if that works.

The Rabbit

I think things are working correctly, I mean CBBE is working and Full Dialogue is good but what I was wondering is... when I create the custom.ini and place the two lines above in it, as shown here:

How to enable modding

1. Navigate to your Fallout 4 Folder at the following location "Documents/My Games/Fallout 4"
  2. Within this folder you'll find a number of .ini files.
  3. Open (or create, if missing) Fallout4Custom.ini with your favourite text editor (we use Notepad++).
  4. Add the following lines to your Fallout4Custom.ini [Archive] bInvalidateOlderFiles=1 sResourceDataDirsFinal=
  5. Save and close Fallout4Custom.ini

Am I supposed to place this in it?

sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

Or is "sResourceDataDirsFinal=" all I need to add?

all I did was the line in custom.ini, then I use nexus mod manager trying to be sure I install them correctly initially for ones that overwrite each other like skins for bodies, then I let LOOT sort them, then I go back to nmm and use it to launch f4se and as stated above the custom.ini thing might not even be needed if done by the mod manager

Edited by steveyos2