Enchanting is kind've a waste?

ArchAdam

Alright well, i went the smithing and enchanting route and ended up with crap. And yes I've got the enchanting perk (number 1) at 5/5

Here's an example, i cannot get elemental damage above 31%

And more importantly, when i make armor to make armor (hah) I can only fortify smithing by a max of 28% and thats using an echanters potion.

Is something wrong with my character or is this literally the cap? i mean wow, 15 levels worth of work for a maximum of 25% difference?

Going the route of one handed weapons and the decapitation perk seems so much more rewarding.

I don't understand what the problem is. Put 31% resistance on two different pieces of armor and you've got 62%. 62% is a very nice bonus. 3 pieces of armor (don't forget you can enchant rings and necklaces) and you've got 93%. What were you expecting? To be able to put 100% on a single piece?

I'm honestly not seeing what the problem is here.

It helps if you look at it from a perspective of balance. 1 shot 1 kill dragons is way overpowered. If you want to play in that vein just open the console and type TGM 1. I have dragonscale armor. I had to console it because I will not do the smithing tree. (Very unbalanced). After killing over 30 dragons I feel I have earned the right to have it. I have NO armor perks. I have it that way as at level 50 I should be able to die if hit with one or two shots. The reason I quit wearing mage robes was to be able to take advantage of the 25% per item enchantment value to help cast destruction. Even with the enchantments and 100 points and full destruction tree it takes several shots to kill most NPCs. So destruction spell cost virtually nothing for me to cast as I have 2 armor with 25% each and 2 jewelry with 25% each. However restoration and conjuration spells eat major amounts of mana. Helps add to the balance. I also have 100 archery and ALL archery perks. Using that with regular weapons (NOT LEGENDARY) make my player adequately powered to keep the battles fun without being overpowered. It is a good thing to die!

All things stack.

Enchanted (smithing) attire + Blacksmith Potion (if you don't have alchemy) = decent gear. My Glass bow is so powerful I never bothered to Enchant it.

However, with Alchemy's Fortify Enchanting potion you can get another few % of performance out of the Enchantments you put on your gear.

The 100pt Enchanting Perk that allows double enchantments is the killer. +40% to both Stealth and Marksmanship on 4 pieces of gear = Ninja.

Ninja Challenge:

Go into a mission with only the following:

Enchant a Necklace, ring, gloves (Stealth + Marksman)

Shoes with Sneak and One-Handed.

Circlet with archery.

Legendary Glass Bow

10 arrows

Dagger

== Profit

I disagree to the fullest. My character has got enchanting 100 and Enchanting at 5/5, but also Insightful Enchanter, Corpus Enchanter and Extra Effect.

Ever since Extra Effect, I find it so overpowered that it almost seems broken.

My armor set has:

- a 160% bonus to marksman

- a 160% bonus to sneak

- muffle

- magicka regen

- a bonus to health

- health regen

(That's without the shield.)

By the way, I did enchant a smithing set. You can have Fortify Smithing on 4 different items (Armor Gloves Amulet and Ring). That adds up to a 100 percent bonus to Smithing. Not too shabby either.

I wouldn't call this a waste at all. Just go Extra Effect, and you'll have twice the power!

PS @elleonblanco: all you need is patience. Post level 55, dragonscale and dragonplate show up as random loot, as do daedric weapons and armor. Plus, there's the question of it being needed at all. There's good proof of Skyrim having an armor cap at 567 armor rating. Anything above that has no effect anyway.

The OP just didnt take the "smart-ness" perks tree!!

Raise your enchanting skills to 100 and take the straight path from the 5/5 first perk to the top double-enchnating one. Now you can enchant items at higher values and with multiple effects. If you want you can take advantage of an enchant enhancing potion and imbue a smithing skill+ on armor parts and jewelry (just ring, necklace and body armor, if I remember well).

Then wear these new items to improve your armors/weapons.....that's all.....

I have a 40%+40%+40% archery armor/jewelry set. Plus, the same ring/necklace set gives me resistance to magic, cant remember the value.

My boots give me 37% fire/ice resistance. Plus I have a ring/necklace set that gives me the exact same effects, thus 37%+37%+37%.....it would've been for dragons, but it seems the patch totally messed up the elemental resistance! =/

Then I've imbued the weight+ effect on a ring/necklace set to be able to carry more stuff when I get overweight.....

My Daedric bow gives 25 fire damage and a 1sec soul trap effect. Which means I can re-fill Azura's Star every time I hit a non-human/argonian/kajiit NPC.

Should I really need it, I could enchant another pair of boots for more weight capacity.....

I feel well rigged, now. ^^

BTW, ANYBODY KNOWS THE +ENCHANTING AND +SMITHING POTIONS RECIPES???

• 2 weeks later...

Alright well, i went the smithing and enchanting route and ended up with crap. And yes I've got the enchanting perk (number 1) at 5/5

Here's an example, i cannot get elemental damage above 31%

And more importantly, when i make armor to make armor (hah) I can only fortify smithing by a max of 28% and thats using an echanters potion.

Is something wrong with my character or is this literally the cap? i mean wow, 15 levels worth of work for a maximum of 25% difference?

You really need all 3 crafting skills maxed with a lot of perks, to get the best of the best. The reason for this, is because it's going to eat up a lot of your perk points, so some players might want to spend those on weapon perks instead. I went the triple tradeskill route, and It's EXTREMELY overpowered at max levels, like everyone says- but so are weapon perks.

Anyway, I can make a +132% smithing improvement potion right now while wearing my full alchemy+ set, and I have heard that you can make up to 145%. So then I switch out to my +smithing gear, drink the potion and improve something... and it makes worlds of difference. Daedric bow went from something like 39 to 116 (wtih one worn +40 marksman item). It's enchanted with paralyze, and I have max archery, so I cranked the difficulty up to Expert to even it out, and STILL get some one hit kills.

So yes, you can get way over +25% smithing. You won't reach a plateau any time soon. My suggestion is to check general goods vendors every chance you get, and look for more +smithing and alchemy items to buy, which will help you get by until your enchanting ability surpasses the enchants on them.