Weapon Expansion Pack for Oblivion Nthusiasts gone wrong, help!?

sirladon

I just downloaded W.E.P.O.N. and at first noticed nothing different, since i did not yet see any new weapons, then when at the imperial city waterfront a guard walked by, and he had a huge transparent yellow square going through him with an exclamation point in it. I realized immediately it had something to do with a weapon he was carrying...so i killed him, picked up his weapon, and then, equipped it and in my inventory it was invisible, and when i exited i got the big yellow thing. Anyone know how to fix? I'd prefer like steps... all this stuff confuses me pretty easily.

You haven't installed it right, and have your folders in the wrong spots. Look at the extracted download, and note it's folder structure. Then look in your Oblivion install ... you'll probably find a 'Data' folder inside your 'Data' folder (or a 'meshes' folder inside your game's 'meshes' folder).

You haven't installed it right, and have your folders in the wrong spots. Look at the extracted download, and note it's folder structure. Then look in your Oblivion install ... you'll probably find a 'Data' folder inside your 'Data' folder (or a 'meshes' folder inside your game's 'meshes' folder).

how should the folder layout be? im new at all this, and very confused. Inside the downloaded folder there was a documentation folder, a meshes folder, a sounds folder, a textures folder, and the esp file. I put all the files into the Oblivion>Data Folder, except the esp which is just in Bethesda Softworks>oblivion. So inside my Oblivion>Data folder is "Weapon expansion Pack for oblivion enthusiasts" folder with the above mentioned folders inside. where do they need to go??

The way it's packaged requires you to do a bit more than a single copy and paste (I personally advocate that all mods be packed starting at the 'Data' folder, making installing a simple copy and paste, but you had no control over this). First step is right click the "Weapon expansion Pack for oblivion enthusiasts" folder that now resides in your game install Oblivion\Data folder and select 'Cut' from the right click menu. Then right click your desktop and select 'Paste' from the right click menu. Then go into your game install Oblivion folder and right click and cut the esp file and paste it into the now moved "Weapon expansion Pack for oblivion enthusiasts" folder (basically getting you back to the state you were in when you first extracted the downloaded archive).

I like to work with two instances of Windows Explorer open, one open to the folder of the mod I've downloaded and extracted, one open to my game install's Oblivion folder ... it makes it easy to switch windows for each copy/paste, plus I can think out what I'm doing and make sure I have the proper folders selected before I'm in a position to make any mistakes. Using the two window method, open an instance of Windows Explorer with your game's Oblivion folder at the highest open level, so that in the window you see your game install Data folder. Double click the "Weapon expansion Pack for oblivion enthusiasts" folder on your desktop and right click the esp file and copy. Switch to your game install Oblivion folder, right click the Data folder and select paste (yes you could have done that when I had you move it into the "Weapon expansion Pack for oblivion enthusiasts" folder on your desktop, and once you get your head around what type of files belong where in the game folder structure you'll take those shortcuts in sorting out a mistake ... now we're trying to get a feel for the basic concepts of what goes where, and esp files go in the game Data folder).

Next you will right click, copy and then paste the meshes, textures and sounds folders from the "Weapon expansion Pack for oblivion enthusiasts" folder to the Data folder of your game install. The correct folder structure in your game install should wind up being Oblivion\Data\meshes, Oblivion\Data\textures and Oblivion\Data\sounds with the game esp located in Oblivion\Data. The rule of thumb to remember when copying and pasting is always paste into one level higher when you're dealing with folders (i.e if you copy the Data folder you paste into the Oblivion folder, if you copy the meshes folder you paste into the Data folder), and when you are dealing with files you paste into the folder you want the file to wind up in (which in this case was the Data folder).

I have an OblivionDownloads folder that all my downloads go to, each in their own named folder. I extract the contents and examine the folder/file structure in that folder, comparing to my game install looking for what, if any, folders or files will be overwritten when I install the mod. If the mod isn't packaged starting at the Data folder I create a Data folder and move the download's folders to their correct locations before I install anything. That way my install is always copy Data paste to Oblivion. This also gives me the opportunity to replace any files that need replacing for things like BBB (often you need to have the original non-BBBed version installed first and then copy over the BBBed version ... I can do all that and double check before anything gets anywhere near my game install).

Using the two window method, and creating your own Data folder for mods that aren't prepacked that way you can install the most complicated mods, once you understand the required folder structure. Certain files have to have a certain name (e.g. skeleton.nif) and need to be in a certain folder (in this example Oblivion\Data\meshes\character\_male\skeleton.nif). Some complicated mods will have optional folders, with files that need to be renamed and moved depending on what options you want to install. In time you'll understand all these niceties, but I know they're overwhelming at first.

The way it's packaged requires you to do a bit more than a single copy and paste (I personally advocate that all mods be packed starting at the 'Data' folder, making installing a simple copy and paste, but you had no control over this).

Hmm...been meaning to download this for a while, lets take a look.

Oh, its packaged to be used as a BAIN archive.

This is why you should use Wrye Bash!