breaking quests

sergiobor

This is a very well constructed game, but there are several major bugs that break a lot of quests.

you can not walk skyrim to explore at will. You have to wait until you emerge quests to explore that particular place, because if you randomly explore places and find some quest items, when this question appears you can not move forward and the quest was broken.

I said this because that happens a lot of times, for example:

When you become a Thane from any city you can ask for jobs, or from the college of Winterhold you can rescue some books, well the locations that they give to you are randomly and one of that job's is to kill the bandit leader in " Broken Helm Hollow ", that's what I did and in that cave I open a door and found a courrier and a Nord dead, if I loot the courrier and take the dagger Keening that break the quest " Arniel's Endeavor " from Winterhold College and if I search the Nord that start a quest to find the Leifnarr's family but if you go to the Heartwood Mill and talk to is wife there is no dialog and the quest don't advance.

You need to have to talk with Leifnarr's wife and have the quest from Arniel before you search that two dudes or don't touch them when you go to kill that bandit leader.

The other example is about the Bards college:

If you in your travellers find that instruments ( Finn's Lute, Pantea's Flute, Rjorn's Drum), you can't pick them out or forward you break the that Bards College quests.

Well summarizing, this game is astonishing with all the spectacular places and the armors, weapons, all the roll playing but Bethesda need to upload some official patches to resolve this bugs.

Indeed, my journal is full of these "broken" quest. No way to complete them other than using console. The difficulty here is to fine the quest id and the stage you have to set it.

Cheers Euclid

Indeed, my journal is full of these "broken" quest. No way to complete them other than using console. The difficulty here is to fine the quest id and the stage you have to set it.

Cheers Euclid

is a shame that Bethesda does not solve these problems so that this does not happen.

after playing Oblivion and a lot of mods ( hundreds ), I did not expect to find so many errors in this game, and I'm a bit tired of having to use console commands to advance in the quests.

but I hope it comes out the CK for Skyrim and thus appear the famous patchs who resolve this issues.

Cheers Euclid

is a shame that Bethesda does not solve these problems so that this does not happen.

after playing Oblivion and a lot of mods ( hundreds ), I did not expect to find so many errors in this game, and I'm a bit tired of having to use console commands to advance in the quests.

but I hope it comes out the CK for Skyrim and thus appear the famous patchs who resolve this issues.

Same problem for me..i hate to look at my journal now and see all these broken quests....sigh.

Strange, my quests countinue , havent done those 2 quests but others just continue as normal i just go out and in again 2 the dialog whith the npc in current quest if he asks me to kill a bandit somewhere and i allready done it.

I complete that quests too. (with a previous save).

It's not about kill the bandits, thats not a problem, it's when you pick up quest items, before being asked.

if you go to Broken Helm Hollow and loot the courrier before Arniel's give the quest to retrieve the dagger, when that quest is give to you, the quest mark point to that cave, and you go there and the quest mark point to the courrier and you activate the dude and nothing, and even you have the dagger in your possession, when you talk with Arniel you don't have dialogue to advance the quest, and the same happens with the Leifnarr, and with the intruments to the bards.

But if you know that previously and don't search the bodies and don't pick up the instruments when you go to that places the quests run's well.

Edited by sergiobor

Have you ever tried consoling the required quest item when you are at the spot you should receive it? Don't know if that would work but it is a thought.

Many times I have explored an area and later received a quest for it to find that when I return everything has been reset including a duplicate item.

Edited by elleonblanco

Spent the last hour to clear some of my "broken" quests. Some remains for now:

• No Stone Unturned

• Become a full Member of the Thieves Guild (I am their boss already)

Miscellaneous

• Speak to the Jarl of Riften (he has nothing to say to me)
    Report Leifnarr's death to his family (no dialogue)
    Return to Esben (happens if you do not kill Paranaxx)

Cheers Euclid

Edited by Euclid

Have you ever tried consoling the required quest item when you are at the spot you should receive it? Don't know if that would work but it is a thought.

Many times I have explored an area and later received a quest for it to find that when I return everything has been reset including a duplicate item.

yes, I tried. when I go to Broken Helm Hollow for one quest from a jerald of one city to kill a bandit leader I pick up the Keening dagger and at that point I don't know that is a quest item, and when forward from Winterhold College I have a quest from Arniel, and I need to find a courrier who never show up with his item, the quest mark point me to that cave. I go there and now the quest mark point to the courrier, I search his body and he have nothing to loot. at this point I don't know what he suppose to have, well I go to the forums and found he suppose to have the Keening dagger, then I load a previous save and tried to talk with the quest giver with the dagger in my possession but the quest mark continuous to point to the cave/courrier and the quest is broke and not advance. I need to load a save before I kill that bandits, and kill them but not search the courrier neither loot him and now when the quest from Arniel is avaiable I go to the cave, retrieve the dagger and the quest advance.

In this game if you pick up a quest item before the quest be given to you the quest usualy broke and you not advance.

There are several quest break bugs like this in the game.

So, we need to be carefull when we explore or go to places by quests to do not pick up items that was not nessessary for the quest it self.

The question is to know what are the quest item for the quest and what are the items for the others quests.

the same happens with the book Remanada and ...... with a lot more

Edited by sergiobor

Spent the last hour to clear some of my "broken" quests. Some remains for now:

• No Stone Unturned

• Become a full Member of the Thieves Guild (I am their boss already)

Miscellaneous

• Speak to the Jarl of Riften (he has nothing to say to me)
    Report Leifnarr's death to his family (no dialogue)
    Return to Esben (happens if you do not kill Paranaxx)

I have the same problem with the jarl of riften (she).

followed the riften quests pretty much to the letter so i could get the house.....but i still have it unfinished in quests.

Cheers Euclid