Cannot find/activate .esp files via OBMM (Oblivion Mod Manager)

Deleted36527450User

]Right So I have tried to install Oblivion Reloaded (http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/45749/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Foblivion%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D45749&pUp=1) I am up to the activation step. However, I have absolutely no clue to activate the .esp files. They .esp files don't show up on the left hand panel (with the boxes) or when I try to create and select add files, when I go to the file location, I cannot see the files. Can anyone give me some guidance? Cheers to anyone who can help.

Edited by Guest

As best as I can remember (it's been a long time since I used OBMM for anything except extracting BSA files) the mod's ESP will be in the right hand panel of the OBMM window. To activate I think you can single left click on it (to put the highlight on it) and then click on the Activate button along the bottom of the OBMM screen.

Sorry to interrupt, but no, actually the right hand panel is where the mod packages are and the left hand panel shows the ESPs and ESMs in your load order.

Off the bat OR is not intended to be installed via OBMM. But of course, as almost every other mod, one can create an OMOD from its archive contents rather easily.

When you downloaded the file from the page you linked, you'll end up having a ZIP (.7z most likely) archive containing all files and folders for OR.

You can either extract this to a temporary folder somewhere else now first and create the OMOD from the files, or simply leave it as it is and create the OMOD from the Archive instead.

When you opened OBMM on the bottom of the right hand panel will be a button labeled "Create OMOD" or something along that line. If you click this, you'll be prompted by a dialog popup asking you for the details and either files and folders to add from or archive like I said. If you now browse to the location where you downloaded the archive from OR's file page to and select it, its contents will be added to the OMOD. However, it not being OMOD-ready either, it will not give you any clues on the details to enter into the fields or such, and you'll have to enter everything approximately yourself by hand.

Once your OMOD is created, you can double-click it in the right hand panel to "activate" it. In case of OMODs this simply means unpack them into your game's data folder and execute installation scripts when included. In case of OR there won't be any installation scripts for step-by-step guidance through its installation and multiple-choice options either.

Once activated its ESPs/ESMs should be automatically added to your load order on the left, and also automatically activated for the game to use it. Even "choose-only-one" kinds of plugins options will "all" be activated now, so take care to deactivate those you don't want later when using OBMM.

However, if there really is "no" ESPs or ESMs at all on the left hand panel, not even the mandatory "Oblivion.ESM", then you're having an entirely different problem and your OBMM has not yet been set up correctly to know the paths of your game.

And if you can't even locate the file you downloaded from OR's file page for inclusion, your problems may be larger than expected.

So... which one is it?

So,

what happens when I try to add archive or folder, the files just don't show up, only some random files and launchers.

I'll try to add some screenshots to show what I see (on the original post). And I am terribly sorry if I misunderstood what you said. But any way, cheers for any help*.

*Note-the 2 files (one on top of the other) are for some reason automatically 7Zip files

Edited by Guest

That's alright, they should be .7z by default after all.

I see they can be seen on your desktop but do not show up when you browse for it. That rings a bell concerning later Windows versions like Vista, Win-7, Win-8 and also Win-10, the infamous UAC and over-protected system folders, which desktop is definitely one of.

What happens with things going into these folders is they usually go to somewhere completely different, some VirtualStore or some such labeled folder inside your User folders, but the Explorer and others will "lie" to you and pretend they'd still be where you put them while they are not. Other programs however, like OBMM for example, can't be fooled by Windows like you are and won't find them where they are not.

Did you try downloading/moving them to somewhere else outside of the usual Windows system folders instead?

Thank you so much!

I (for some reason) had found the .esp files in my C: Drive (must have copied them there earlier, but forgot about them) and OBMM could detect them in the C: drive

Here, this is for your trouble.

<200 Gold added>

Side note: so the whole "explorer lies" is a bit like it creates a shortcut for it?

Edited by Guest