possible to use fo4edit to change value of modded weapons?

Simonz93

Hi! I have no experience in modding whatsoever. I want to see some values of some modded guns changed but I don't really want to trouble modders with these specific and personal requests since they already did so much for free. So is it possible to do this myself in like fo4edit, to just increase clip size and other stats?

If so is it easy to do, and most importantly, is it safe or it could potentially break the mod/game?

If there is a tutorial somewhere that specifically teaches this, I would really appreciate a link :)

Thanks!

Edited by Simonz93

Short version: yes.

Longer version: yes, but pay attention to the multiplier modifications. A drum magazine for a gun might not say "add 45 more round", but something like "multiply by 1.5". Which really means "+ 150% of the standard clip size". Stuff like price or weight changes for having some mods installed are almost always handled that way.

But once you get the hang of it, not only it's possible, it's actually quite user-friendly too.

Short version: yes.

Longer version: yes, but pay attention to the multiplier modifications. A drum magazine for a gun might not say "add 45 more round", but something like "multiply by 1.5". Which really means "+ 150% of the standard clip size". Stuff like price or weight changes for having some mods installed are almost always handled that way.

But once you get the hang of it, not only it's possible, it's actually quite user-friendly too.

Ok I went into FO4edit but I'm completely overwhelmed. I have no idea whether I should be selecting all the esm or just the modded weapon's esm, and what option to choose. For example some online tutorial says to select "copy as override into", I have no clue what that does, and whether I should be even creating a new esp or just overwrite the old one...

I can't find a tutorial that specifically alters modded, rather than vanilla weapons. Would appreciate someone here telling me how I should do it.

Read this: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/38413/?

Bear in mind that the functionality of the program is the same for all the games, whether it is TES4Edit, FNVEdit, FO4Edit, etc.

Thank you, very helpful general guide, but doesn't touch on the issue I'm having unfortunately. But I will be sure to read it if I want to keep modding.

I'm still unable to mod the clip size for the modded weapon. I went into the esp and edited the "capacity", but nothing changed in game :/

Edited by Simonz93

You can edit object modifications in FO4Edit as well, and I'd say it's a fair bit easier than doing it in the CK (though I have a lot more experience with the former, so I'm biased). Load the .esp for the weapon, open the "Object Modification" category, and select the magazine you're trying to edit. If you tell us the specific weapon mod you're trying to edit, we can show you exactly where to find the value.

Edited by Tukster

You can edit object modifications in FO4Edit as well, and I'd say it's a fair bit easier than doing it in the CK (though I have a lot more experience with the former, so I'm biased). Load the .esp for the weapon, open the "Object Modification" category, and select the magazine you're trying to edit. If you tell us the specific weapon mod you're trying to edit, we can show you exactly where to find the value.

Thanks a lot! I'm trying to increase the clip size of the newly released "Scar-H" by the Shiny Haxorus http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18726/?

I was pretty sure the "clip" was the clip size and I cross-referenced with other weapons to make sure. But changing its value didn't do it. Guess I went to the wrong place :/

Make sure you're editing the correct weapon - sometimes there are different variations of the same gun. You need to edit the "capacity" number located within the "DNAM - Data" category for the weapon. This will change the base weapon magazine capacity.

Using F04Edit to make simple edits to you favourite mods is quite easy and I think it's something that any serious mod user should become familiar with. I usually change the name, damage and sometime the speed of all weapons that I download from here just so that they fit seemlessly into my game. Try this very basic guide. http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-use-fo4edit-to-change-weapon-stats.1413318/

The other thing to remember is to re-edit the mod in FO4Edit every time you download a new version of it. I think it's often a good idea to wait a few days after a mod is first released, because there's often a flurry of new versions/fixes right after the initial release.