New to Modding

So I want to learn to use the Creation Kit myself to create my own mods and I figured this would be a good place to start? I have no prior experience with modding anything at all so this would likely take me years to get to where I can actually make stuff that I can show off. But I figure I'm in my early 20s and don't got too much going on these days so it couldn't hurt to learn a new skill. And I'm tired of waiting for other people to create content that I want to play; I want to take initiative? So modders, what would be the best place to start learning? Are there any skills/programs I should learn before even installing Creation Kit? Don't a lot of modders use Blender? I have that already and have been learning that (I work in film production so that's what I've been learning it for up until now). But is there anything else I need to look into?

The best place to start learning is to pick something you want to make. I would advise starting small though...

Blender or 3DSMax are used to create and edit meshes. You'll also want nifskope if you're planning to do this. If the mod you want to make doesn't require new meshes, you do not need Blender. There are a lot of meshes already available in the vanilla game that you can use as well as tons of free mesh resources here on nexus, so you may not need to create anything new to achieve your vision.

If you're not familiar with the format of the game that would be the best place to start. You should at least know: what an esp, texture, mesh, and script are, and the basic format skyrim uses for those (dds, nif, pex, psc).

Depending on what you want to do there are countless tutorials available. There's also video and written tutorials that will walk you through something basic like creating a house or a sword just to get used to the tools.

Other tools you may want (besides the creation kit of course!) include TES5edit and GIMP or another program that will let you edit dds files.

You should also become familiar with the Creation Kit Wiki and TES Alliance, both are great resources for modders.

http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Category:Getting_Started

This will help you get the ck up and running, and make your first plugin. After that, there's a 'tutorial hub' button, with links to more job specific tutorials. (look at "levels" for creating buildings, etc.)

Here are a couple that I found helpful at the start. For retexturing, the programs the tutorial sends you to get are all free.

http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Bethesda_Tutorial_Customizing_Weapons_%26_Armor

http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Retexture_Tutorial

If you prefer a video tutorial, there are video links in the first tutorial, as well as tons on youtube. Darkfox127 and elianora both do very nice youtube tutorials. If you get stuck on something and can't find it directly, google the

most likely keywords of what you're stuck doing, and you'll find someone, somewhere talking about it. Also, in this forum, there's a topic for tutorials outside of youtube, with some really great information. A lot of your google

searches will end you up back here on this forum, in various topics.

From my experience, everything I've been stuck on, someone else has been stuck on and/or figured out, long before me.

The Blender is a bit out of your league at the moment ...

After you have been modding for a while you can then take a look at how to use the blender.

For now just install the Creation Kit, NifSkope, TEST5Edit and LOOT ... Later when you want to

start scripting you'll be unpacking the Scripts.rar and maybe looking at an editor like Notepad++

​The best way to start off (in my opinion) is hands on as learning how to use the editor is key.

I suggest building player homes for a bit. After 4 or 5 you should have a good understanding of the kit.

You then would be ready to move on to harder things like using the Blender to create things for your mods.

But, for now the kit is very rich in content and all you need to start learning is already there.

How I started out years ago:

And these look good while we are at it ...

There is no way around getting a bit punch drunk so dive right in and absorb what you can.

Stuff like this just takes time and repetition to truly get down. In this case google is your friend

search for tutorials and do as many as you can. At first try to stick the creation kit tutorials here:

http://www.creationkit.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

Modding and Programming is a love affair. If you don't fall in love with it you will never get far.

You will need to go the extra mile and push yourself to master it. But you can take it in small smart steps.

Edited by NexusComa

Check out DarkFox127, Elianora, and BestinSlot on YouTube as well as the previously mentioned sites. TESAlliance has a fantastic tutorial series to get you started (Creation Kit Basics, found under Forums in The Enclave, Skyrim Modding School). DarkRider will offer feedback for your screenshots if you post pics of your work there.

I have been modding for about a year and have only really used NifSkope to create resources so far, with a little work in Paint.Net (Gimp would work also, or Photoshop it you have it) for creating textures. .dds plugins are available for both (the type of textures used by Skyrim). However you will need Blender/3dsMax if you want to create advanced meshes like armors. Also be aware that Creation Kit is incredibly buggy and can crash often, without warning, especially when using multiple new resources. Save often, and have fun!