There is a scene in Schindler's List

zegh8578

0:59:30

during the ghetto liquidation, they barge into peoples apartment hallways, checking the identity of everyone exiting their apartments.

they grab one man, and ruthlessly push him a few steps away, force him to the ground, and execute him on the spot.

in most of the movie, jewish/polish characters speak english, this guy protests in some language i cannot comprehend. what exactly happens here? does anybody know?

my impression is that he is non-polish of some sort, someone they regard as an intruder (even in the ghetto), and dispose of immediately

spielberg has a habit of making such... slightly enigmatic scenes at times, such as the two czech soldiers shot while surrendering in the beginning of saving private ryan - in the movie it is never explained, and you basically have to know czech or be czech or know someone czech to understand what the hell just happened :D

(btw, moderators, feel free to move this to the lounge, where i meant to post it. i dont think it counts as debate. i forgot what subforum i was in)

Edited by zegh8578

during the ghetto liquidation, they barge into peoples apartment hallways, checking the identity of everyone exiting their apartments.

they grab one man, and ruthlessly push him a few steps away, force him to the ground, and execute him on the spot.

in most of the movie, jewish/polish characters speak english, this guy protests in some language i cannot comprehend. what exactly happens here? does anybody know?

my impression is that he is non-polish of some sort, someone they regard as an intruder (even in the ghetto), and dispose of immediately

spielberg has a habit of making such... slightly enigmatic scenes at times, such as the two czech soldiers shot while surrendering in the beginning of saving private ryan - in the movie it is never explained, and you basically have to know czech or be czech or know someone czech to understand what the hell just happened :D

not sure about the SL scene, been a long time since ive seen it. possibly a german traitor?

as for the SPR scene, you dont need to know what they are saying (although i do know what they said) to get whats happening. the point is, that the two ally soldiers werent taking prisoners, german army = dead, regardless if you were forced to join the army or not. was a very good scene.

not sure about the SL scene, been a long time since ive seen it. possibly a german traitor?

as for the SPR scene, you dont need to know what they are saying (although i do know what they said) to get whats happening. the point is, that the two ally soldiers werent taking prisoners, german army = dead, regardless if you were forced to join the army or not. was a very good scene.

yes, of course, and the same goes for the shindler's list scene: the jist of it is pretty obvious

but its the final detail that sortof completes it.

in saving private ryan i always just assumed they were germans speaking some dialect, and the soldiers popped them "just cus" (which was probably what the soldiers actually assumed as well, theyre nazis, lets shoot them and be done with it)

but that final detail of them being czechs adds that extra bit of realism to it

its not overly important why that man gets executed right there in the hallway, hes just one of many, but - like my old film teacher pointed out - there are rarely any "random scenes" in movies, everything is intended - and the man protesting in a language that differs from the rest of the polish characters is definitely intended.

it just got me very curious :D

Edited by zegh8578

He is speaking Polish. In the previous frame the man's son attempts to run away, and just as the German soldiers try to shoot the child the father places himself in front of the soldiers crying "that's my son". That's why they then lynch him on the spot.

He is speaking Polish. In the previous frame the man's son attempts to run away, and just as the German soldiers try to shoot the child the father places himself in front of the soldiers crying "that's my son". That's why they then lynch him on the spot.

no, thats not the scene i'm refering to

altho both are during the liquidation sequence

the scene i mean is indoors, in a hallway. they are rushing people out of an apartment, and pull a man right out of the doorway, and shoot him in the head with a handgun only a few steps away. it is clear that they are reacting to his identification, and instantly proceed to execute him for that.

the scene you talk about happen shortly after

the scene i mean is indoors, in a hallway. they are rushing people out of an apartment, and pull a man right out of the doorway, and shoot him in the head with a handgun only a few steps away. it is clear that they are reacting to his identification, and instantly proceed to execute him for that.

That man is also speaking Polish, he is mumbling but from what I can make out he says "What's going on? What have I done? Don't Kill me". I'm guessing that he is a resistance fighter or perhaps has aided them.

That man is also speaking Polish, he is mumbling but from what I can make out he says "What's going on? What have I done? Don't Kill me". I'm guessing that he is a resistance fighter or perhaps has aided them.

ah, thank you. his mumbling was the final "unknown" where i was hoping for clues.

it makes sense that he probably was identified as a "wanted man", as in, resistance fighter or associated with such.

curiousity solved! :D

The liquidation of the ghetto was not because of any reason other than to exterminate the jewish people. The soldiers were under orders to clear the ghetto and that anyone who protested, resisted or even if they didn't move fast enough were to be shot as an example to others to ensure they obeyed and left the ghetto.

The man was shot not because he was "wanted" or in the resistance or for any other reason than because he did not obey immediately and without question and began to protest his eviction from his home. It is difficult to hear on the movie, but I had always thought he said "What is happening? I have done nothing...." as he did not understand why he was being forced from his home. He did not understand that the eviction was not because he didn't pay his rent or for some "reasonable" reason, but because the jewish people were being rounded up and sent to extermination camps.

His crime was protesting and under the law of the time and place that crime was punishable by death - immediately.

The liquidation of the ghetto was not because of any reason other than to exterminate the jewish people. The soldiers were under orders to clear the ghetto and that anyone who protested, resisted or even if they didn't move fast enough were to be shot as an example to others to ensure they obeyed and left the ghetto.

The man was shot not because he was "wanted" or in the resistance or for any other reason than because he did not obey immediately and without question and began to protest his eviction from his home. It is difficult to hear on the movie, but I had always thought he said "What is happening? I have done nothing...." as he did not understand why he was being forced from his home. He did not understand that the eviction was not because he didn't pay his rent or for some "reasonable" reason, but because the jewish people were being rounded up and sent to extermination camps.

His crime was protesting and under the law of the time and place that crime was punishable by death - immediately.

damn

that actually makes very good sense as well

bone chilling

thank you for that explanation :]

it goes to show, as a member of a normal society, i think like he thought - there has to be _some_ reason to execute someone on the spot. but yes, with a bit of "creative thinking", humanity is well capable of ordering a "death penalty" even for not "hurrying enough". it is fascinating the length humans can go sometimes, in the name of ruthlessness.

Edited by zegh8578

The scene gives the impression that the German soldiers were actively searching for the man, they call out his name twice "Gold, Chaim" whilst letting other people through to the plaza. Once Gold responds in the affirmative the soldier with the paper turns to the others and says shoot him, they then throw him on the floor and lynch him. The man only protests after they physically grab him. It does not seem likely that his protest causes them to kill him, but rather something that occurred before the eviction. My guess is that he was profiled as someone who could potentially disrupt the eviction plans or he was associated with the resistance.