FO4-esque settlement mode

stebbinsd

Granted, there's not very many places I can imagine where you could set up a city or hold. But if it can be done, I'd love to be able to do Fallout 4's "settlement mode" with an Elder Scrolls twist!

You'll finally have a use for all these metal ingots you've acquired, instead of it just being vendor fodder! You can even combine this with "Item Recycling" by Derangedhk417 in order to help ease the grindfest of acquiring the ingots.

- Find a mine that can support the city (like Markarth), or set up in a heavily forested area to be able to set up a lumber mill. This would be the beginning of your city.

- Since we can't have "recruitment radio beacons" in this game, we would instead plaster the existing cities with ads for our new settlement.

- No turrets for defense. Guard posts only.

- Obviously, since the nearby rivers are already clean, we won't need to find purified waters. Also, since Tamriel never had electricity to begin with, power generators won't be a problem. However, I think this is more than made up for by the need to have extra defense, since A) you won't be able to spam turrets, so you'll be reduced to guard posts, and B) there are even more dangers in Skyrim than in the post-war Commonwealth. The Commonwealth has raiders and super mutants, and Skyrim does indeed have bandits and giants. However, they also have dragons.

Anyone second this request?

I don't see this happening as there are too many fundamental systems that are part of the baseline of Fallout 4 that simply do not exist in Skyrim. Specific to your request, the navmesh-on-the-fly system for placed statics in Fallout 4 does not exist for Skyrim in any form so any objects placed in the world by such a settlement system would be unusable by NPCs at best as they wouldn't know how to deal with the added and removed and repositioned items like they do seemlessly in Fallout 4 where the mesh is part of the objects themselves.

• 1 month later...

Specific to your request, the navmesh-on-the-fly system for placed statics in Fallout 4 does not exist for Skyrim in any form so any objects placed in the world by such a settlement system would be unusable by NPCs at best as they wouldn't know how to deal with the added and removed and repositioned items like they do seemlessly in Fallout 4 where the mesh is part of the objects themselves.

I've already seen direct evidence to the contrary. The mod "Ultimate Castle Defense" already places statics on the fly and allows you to reposition them, while NPCs - both enemies and allies - will work around those statics.

UCD already has the foundation of what I'm looking for; it just needs to be expanded upon.

Also, keep in mind that FO4's settlement mode was, in and of itself, inspired by a mod. Specifically, a Fallout 3 mod. So, clearly, having the game engine not be designed for such gameplay is obviously not a barrier to making it work.

Hell, I've heard Gopher mention an FO3 mod that turns Fallout into a flight simulator! So this can't possibly be entirely out of the question!