Do mods alter savegames?

Farsot

Hey!

Probably a noob question here but I'll ask anyway since I didn't find anything about this anywhere.

I was wondering if I can ruin my saves by switching too many mods back and fourth?

I have quite a lot of mods installed, but regarding bigger balance overhauls I only played with Ghost Mode from the start.

The rest of the mods I have been switching in and out on a regular basis though.

Especially mods like Super Turbo Lighting, Extended View and tons of different Reshade Presets since I always tend to go back to vanilla lighting in the end.

Could this break my savegame in the long run or are savegames completely disconnected from mods?

My mod list looks like this:

modAbsoluteCamera23

modAutoLootHerbs

modBetterTorches

modBies

modCan

modCatArmorColor

modFearlessRoach

modGeraltHairWorksRealBeard

modGeraltHWwhiteBeard

modGeraltRealHWhair

modGeraltRealisticSweat

modGhostMode

modGwentPlusPlus

modGwynbleidd-AenSeidhe

modHDReworkedProject

modHDUrsineConcept

modHoldForRadialMenu

modImprovedSigneffects

modMapQuestObjectives

modNewGriffinArmor

modNoTalkIcon

modNovigradReloadedFullPackage

modPEEPERS_Witcherless

modPreparations

modPS4

modSPLASH

modSwamp

modThoughtfulRoach

modUnoptimizedTowerBase

modVIPEHD

modZZZIncreasedLod

I have merged most of the texture mods with mod merger and the script mods with script merger obivously. No conflicts except with increased lod which shouldn't be a problem since the other mods just have the priority regarding the conflicts.

Thanks in advance. :)

Some mods may store some data in the save file. But the data is discarded when the mod is uninstalled, so there's no problem.

Some things are computed only when a new game is started, like the XP required for leveling. If you start a game with a mod that alters these levels then uninstalling the mod won't revert back to vanilla values.

There's a mod named Fast Travel from Anywhere that can corrupt the save file. For example the game expects that you can leave a house only through the door and when you do this an important quest is started. If you fast travel from the house instead then that quest is not started and you'll find out much later.

But usually the mods that alter lighting, change textures, models etc... have nothing to do with save files.