Why do mod authors name thier downloads - main - or - patch

ryjonn

instead of the actual mod name?

i would like to install a mod named "main" along with it's "Patch", however, NMM won't treat them as separate from previous downloads of the same names. It asks the usual overwrite or replace etc. Is there some way for me me to get NMM to treat them separately. If I rename one with ,say an added "A", will the mod still work? thanks for any advice

It's usually because some mod authors forget about best practises regarding naming conventions.

Personally, when updating a mod via NMM, I always uninstall the previous version (and any patches) before installing the newer version (and newer patches)* to minimize the risk of orphan files which can have a detrimental effect on your game performance.

Doing this might minimize your problems. Also, don't forget that there is the version number tab in the main NMM window. You can use it when navigating to find older mod files that you wish to replace.

*it's a good idea to always use L.O.O.T. after doing this, to keep your load order in check.

Edited by AGreatWeight

AGreatWeight,

thanks for your reply. I ended up renaming "Main" to "Main-A" {they were entirely different mods] and it worked. As for the version number and nexus id, I'm out of luck there as I manually place the mods into NMM's fallout 4 mod folder as I had an issue with Skyrims mod organizer hyjacking the mods as I tried to download them with NMM when the game first came out - sorry, too much information - thanks again for the reply, john.