Horses. What's the point?

MrMiggins

Is there any reason to buy a horse?

Well they are a lot faster than your character can run for some missions they can make getting to an area a lot faster however, :( the sad point is their loyal, they rush into battle to protect you which is annoying... my character was a level 5 and i wanted to take out some bandits so i purchased a horse and rode out to a hold full of bandits but before I could even take a swing my horse rushed in to protect me :( i didnt get to kill a single bandit...

The downside is when your facing stronger enemies im at level 35 and when I fast travel theres my horse with me all the time and quite often he perishes in fights that i would have no trouble with.... even if you ride him far away and walk to the area if your attacked he comes rushing in 4 out of 5 times i cant keep him for getting killed while i have no issue with taking them down.

Now if there was a modification that made horses cowards I could totally go for that :) but a horse vs a dragon isn't a pretty site especially when the dragon bites him and tosses him half way across the map to his horrible death.

In some areas you can borrow a horse :) id reccomend that rather than buying

get Shadowmere the horse

SPOILER ALERT:

"Shadowmere is given to the character ten quests into the quest-line of the Dark Brotherhood." -elderscrolls.wikia.com

If Shadowmere is killed, waiting in a main city for 10 days then returning to where he died should respawn him on both pc and xbox versions. -elderscrolls.wikia.com

It seems pretty pointless having them in the game from what I've seen. They can't carry equipment for you, and since your follower doesn't have a horse you can't actually travel any faster without leaving your follower behind. Plus as someone mentioned, they tend to participate in fighting when it would be much more preferable that they didn't. Not to mention that you can't stay in first person mode or use weapons while mounted.

I sense the need for a "useful horse" mod.

Well they are a lot faster than your character can run for some missions they can make getting to an area a lot faster however, :( the sad point is their loyal, they rush into battle to protect you which is annoying... my character was a level 5 and i wanted to take out some bandits so i purchased a horse and rode out to a hold full of bandits but before I could even take a swing my horse rushed in to protect me :( i didnt get to kill a single bandit...

The downside is when your facing stronger enemies im at level 35 and when I fast travel theres my horse with me all the time and quite often he perishes in fights that i would have no trouble with.... even if you ride him far away and walk to the area if your attacked he comes rushing in 4 out of 5 times i cant keep him for getting killed while i have no issue with taking them down.

Now if there was a modification that made horses cowards I could totally go for that :) but a horse vs a dragon isn't a pretty site especially when the dragon bites him and tosses him half way across the map to his horrible death.

In some areas you can borrow a horse :) id reccomend that rather than buying

Cowardly Horses

You just can't believe what you can find with the Search function. ;)

And, as Zaldos suggested, get Shadowmere. That horse respawns, it's free, and can easily tank lower level dragons (at least, on Adept difficulty). Also, when you are over-encumbered, the only way to get to the nearest city without being bored to death is a horse (even if you don't use fast travel). Plus, they can climb rocks and mountains in a gravity-defying way, something you cannot do while walking.