Skyrim loving TES virgin , oblivion - to buy or not

seanxx

Steam have Oblivion deluxe(shivering isle, knights of the nine etc) for 6usd for the next 24hrs, bargain price..but...

I came to rpgs lately (DAO was my 1s rpg, Skyrim is my first TES game) and while Im loving skyrim im wondering will i feel bethesda burnout?

Is there really any need to go back to oblivion? Maybe i should just enjoy Skyrim an the mods that will come out over the next year. I do find it difficult to go back to inferior graphics in most game genres, and im not a university student with loads of free time on my hands.

but jeez....$6!

Well, at that price, would it even matter if you hated it? :whistling:

Oblivion is well worth owning. Personally, I love it. Not much money to lose if you don't end up playing it.

Go for it.

:biggrin:

With the sheer amount of incredible mods available for Oblivion, you really have nothing to lose. I can almost promise you that there's enough player-made content that you can make the game any way you want it. Shivering Isles is probably worth the $5 by itself.

Put it this way; if you know how to install mods, you can get 500+ new swords added to the levelled lists, bullet-time combat, decapitations, dynamic seasons, the ability to climb literally anything, open cities, movable tents, werewolves, DAO style companions, and more other awesome mods than you can shake a stick at. I don't think it'd be an exaggeration to say that a heavily modded Oblivion would be better than Skyrim (at this moment). Keep in mind though, a heavily modded Skyrim a couple years from now will be that much better. :)

Oblivion is mature enough at this point where you don't even have to be playing Oblivion anymore; there are so many mods you can practically create the game to suit yourself.

Personally, I'm letting my copy of Oblivion sit unused right now; I played it to the extreme for four years, and it was also the first rpg I'd ever played. Since I just corrupted all my mods though, as I said, with Skyrim here I don't feel like going through all that work to reinstall Oblivion and its mods. If I can just find my darn flash drive with all my backed up files...

Edited by Rennn

Thanks for the advice guys, will do

which one?

Buy The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition includes Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles expansions.

this is$5

or

Buy The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion® Game of the Year Edition Deluxe

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Game of the Year Edition Deluxe includes Knights of the Nine and the Shivering Isles expansions plus Fighter's Stronghold Expansion, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrune's Razor and much more. This edition is playable only in English language.

this is $6.24

are Fighter's Stronghold Expansion, Spell Tome Treasures, Vile Lair, Mehrune's Razor useless Fluff that i wont need ? true it only needs to marginally a tiny bit better than useless fluff to justify the $1.24 increase:)

You only really need Oblivion and the Shivering Isles, since practically no mods rely on the other expansions, but I'd go for the deluxe edition. It'd be hard to find a better deal. Make sure to install the latest script extender as soon as you install the games and the expansions; it's required for most complex mods.

Also, if you're running windows 7, don't trust the graphics extender. The script extender seems to work fine on multiple win7 computers, but I've never gotten the graphics extender to work on a win7 computer. Fortunately, it's not nearly as useful as the script extender. :) If I'm wrong about the graphics extender, please tell me, btw.

Edited by Rennn

Also, if you're running windows 7, don't trust the graphics extender. The script extender seems to work fine on multiple win7 computers, but I've never gotten the graphics extender to work on a win7 computer. Fortunately, it's not nearly as useful as the script extender. :) If I'm wrong about the graphics extender, please tell me, btw.

You're wrong.

OBGE works just fine on windows 7. It can be a hassle to set up, and a lot depends on your graphics card, and you need to do ini tweaks. But it really is no harder than any other advanced modding bit. And the results do look amazing, so it's well worth the effort.

Edited by hymhym