Skyrim loving TES virgin , oblivion - to buy or not

seanxx

For $6?!? Why are you even asking this question? Get it now! Even if you dont end up playing it for a while, its always worth having for the future, for when you need somthing else to play. Its a bargain, and for $6 you will feel like a thief paying so little for it. Get Morrowind too, as its avaliable for a similarly cheap price, and even if you dont play it for a while its a great extra to have in your library.

The price is immaterial really, what im more concerned with is finding the time to get into it and give it the time it needs to enjoy it. that and the fact i have difficult enjoying older games with poor (by today's standard) graphics, but it seems that mods bring the graphics up to near skyrim standards.

I personally loved oblivion, and am now loving skyrim. But if you are in it for the long haul, I think the storyline is so much better in Oblivion. In Skyrim the storyline I feel is too rushed, whereas the oblivion one really draws you in. And with modding of Oblivion (where Skyrim has to catch up with first), the adventure is just unforgettable.

On a side note though, this is probably a lost cause due to the fact you don't like older games, that don't measure up to today's graphics standards, but Morrowind is probs one the best games I ever played, while yes the graphics are crap, the storyline more than made up for it. And if you can get past the graphics you would really enjoy that game.

But in the original question you posted, u should definitely go and play Oblivion, with all its bells and whistles already attached (deluxe edition), and then mod the hell out of it, even though modding isn't really needed, seeing the graphics aren't too bad (in today's standards) which can easily be compared to some really low budget 2011 releases

Oblivion has an active mod community spanning years, has thousands of excellent mods that are still supported by their authors and is generally just an awesome game.

At the current sale price, getting it shouldn't really be much of a question. Have fun! :thumbsup:

Edited by xaliqen

There is nothing wrong with liking both Skyrim and Oblivion.

Personally I would never go back to playing Oblivion for all the whisky in Ireland. I've reinstalled it to give it a last go before Skyrim was released but it took a hundred mods for me to enjoy the game.

That being said the Shivering Isles DLC alone is worth it.

Also if you really like Skyrim you may enjoy visiting some of the sites and running into some characters and factions that are referenced to in Skyrim. Just prepare yourself for one of the most flawed levelling system known to man (it's a good thing there are mods for that).

By the way, if you're concerned about the way Oblivion looks check out the image share section on the Nexus to see what some players can get the game to look like. :thumbsup:

Edited by Shantih

For me, Skyrim is a complete and utter improvement over Oblivion (Besides spell-making. ;_;). Oblivion is certainly a good game, but I'd often feel almost bored with the generic fantasy setting and background. There wasn't much of a sense of discovery. Still, if that doesn't bother you, it has the hallmarks that Bethesda is known for.

Absolutley yes, buy it before the sale runs out. As much as I like Skyrim I would rank the ES games so far like this.

1. Morrowind

2. Daggerfall

3. Oblivion

4. Skyrim

5. Arena

If you enjoy Skyrim you will also enjoy Oblivion

Oblivion is totally worth it. Skyrim is better because it has more quests and is overall a bit larger, but, if you love Skyrim, you know exactly what you'll get with Oblivion, with older graphics of course. The natural world in Oblivion though is unbelieveable, even nicer than Skyrim (except for the water).

What really sells it is the THOUSANDS of amazing mods for Oblivion already out there. If you want to take the time and mod the thing to death, it's totally worth it.

Oblivion is totally worth it. Skyrim is better because it has more quests and is overall a bit larger

If you count the radiant herb-fetching quests, I'm sure Skyrim has more quests in total. Without those quests, I'm not so sure (in particular, the guild quests in Oblivion seem a bit longer).

Aren't Skyrim and Oblivion the same size (roughly 16 square miles) in the vanilla game? With Shivering Isles, I'm pretty sure Oblivion is larger than Skyrim.

Sorry, I don't mean to nitpick. I'm sure Skyrim will have many more added quests through DLC, and it will undoubtedly be the larger game once all of the official add-ons are released.

Edited by xaliqen

I spent dozens of hours searching, learning, installing, removing, fixing, starting over - all to get Oblivion modded right and actually not feel like crap like it does before modding, and it just wasn't worth it. I didn't enjoy the game much, horrible voice acting (super derpy) all too often, and inane combat that not even mods made enjoyable enough. Upon playing Skyrim, out of the box, I enjoyed it 5x as much. Which makes me excited for when the CK comes out.

Now Morrowind though, that may be worth checking out. More "classic", though not without its many, many issues. But it might be interesting. But I'm way more interested in Skyrim, and by the time I'm willing to look at another TES title, TES 6 will probably be out...