ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Mount & Blade style combat?

TotallyNotToastyFresh

I normally don't request anything, I prefer trying to improvise and do it myself, but this one is way out of my league.

If you've played Mount & Blade, you'll know that a large part of the game's formula relies on the combat, and the way blocking works. Basically, it works by having four kinds of attacks; left, right, up, and forwards. You have to have reflexes fast enough to adjust your blocking position to effectively avoid that attack. Blocking has the same four positions of attacking. It's a very simple system, really. There are also several ways you can adjust your blocks, you can either move the mouse upwards while clicking block to block an upwards attack, left or right to block a sideways attack, etc. or you can have it so that attack/block direction is based on your current movement. Here's a video where you may be able to see what I mean, skip to about 1:11.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5XAJB8uGZY&feature=related

This seems like a very simplistic kind of mechanic but it's very addictive and makes combat a lot of fun. I'd love to see it in Skyrim. We already have a lot of the animations we need to make this possible, and we would also need several others like directional blocking. I don't know how such a mechanic would be implemented into Skyrim but I'm sure it would be possible.

Any talented scripters are very welcome to share their thoughts.

Also, I don't expect that anyone will be able to do any work on this aside from brainstorming etc. before the CK comes out.

Edited by Toasty Fresh

I'm not a hugely capable modder, but I imagine the hardest part would be getting enemies to work with this new system. I think it would be fairly simple for the player, like, you could just run a script that checks if the player is holding W, A, S, or D when they click attack/block, and adjust the attack/block animation based on that. But like I said, getting enemies to work in conjunction with this would be difficult.

Also, another thing that would need doing is increasing the global damage values, or multiplying each melee damage value by a certain amount. Otherwise, fights could end up lasting for full minutes in one-on-one duels.

Also, I failed to mention this before, but for people like me with slow reflexes there is also a mode in the game which detects the enemy's attack and blocks for you when you click block. This would actually prove difficult, as it would have to detect what kind of attack the enemy is performing and would also prove troublesome when there are multiple enemies attacking.

Edited by Toasty Fresh

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Mount And Blade: Warband has THE best combat system I've ever seen in games with RPG elements.

To tell the truth, I did not know about Mount & Blade until 4 months ago, though I did play quite a number of RPGs. For a certain reason, I had to uninstall Skyrim for some times, so I looked for another RPG to kill time when bored. Mount & Blade's combat system did more than to help me kill time, you see. It AMAZES me. I cannot bring myself to like Skyrim's combat system after experiencing Mount & Blade's. It has struck me to wonder: Mount & Blade was out 5 years ago, and, not doubt, it was successful, then why did Bethesda not take advantage of this combat system when developing theirs?

It adds so much depth into every combat that I'm actually looking forward to playing Mount & Blade: Bannerlord than another Skyrim's DLC, unless that DLC includes a combat system's overhaul just as good or better.

I know it doesn't sound fair for Skyrim, because Skyrim has a lot more to offer beside combats, but this flaw along with what they call "conversion of details", which makes Skyrim's map so small and crowded with dungeons not-so-many-step-from-one-another, are holding back Skyrim's potentials. Seriously, I wonder who's the lazy dude wanting to complete an RPG so fast that complain about the vast and empty map of Oblivion, and who's the guy in Bethesda actually listened to that. Thanks to them, Skyrim came out as small as Connecticut.

• 2 months later...

I won't ever claim to be a modder, but I truly hope someone tries to do this. I love Every aspect of skyrim, but when I get into combat, My eyes just sort of glaze over and I play on automatic, half-heartedly clicking the mouse, drinking potions in case I needed them. I'm not saying that the combat can't be intense, especially when fighting the higher level bandits when you're only level 4 or so, but that only lasts so long. It lacks any sort of depth or complexity to it to keep it interesting. I've logged an absolutely massive amount of hours into this game, but the combat is boring enough that I just keep losing interest. I'd do it myself, but I don't know anything about modding, or how difficult this would be. So I humbly request that someone attempt this impossible feat.

It's also hard to tell exactly how much attention this forum gets from the modding community.

I Also should have read the rules before posting. Damn.

Edited by Aleolex

• 1 month later...

M&B Warband style combat would be awesome.

Such a combat overhaul would basically complete Skyrim for me. I would not mind if the enemies would still be using simplistic attacks, as long as the player would have more control over his sword and shield.

It is the only mod I am still missing. There are food mods, hunger, thirst, even cariages. Its awesome. But no good combat. :(

Edit: Same as above with the rules.

• 6 months later...