Dream/Wishlist Open World Fantasy RPG

Mortimer

Low Fantasy I believe its called Zegh and your certainly not the only one who enjoys that kind of setting.

heh, good to know :D

i havent been on any gaming communities before, and i was getting pessimistic from the limited experience w fellow gamers irl :D

me and one buddy however both aggreed on a fallout type game with these same premises, where you have to play for hours even to aquire an empty shotgun, for then maybe to have to fix it, then maybe your lucky and find four shells - these you must save in case of bear, and keep your trusty skinning-knife for the rare bandit, that kind of thing :D

by the time you have a rifle, and a whole metal case of .308's, you are the king of your wasteland shack

i want _actual_ dimensions, not necesarily in a geographical sense (even i would get sick of having to run for litterally days...) but if you come across a road, notice how even the motorways in fallout are in actuality only a few feet wide, it would be so much more imposing to come across a lonely broken up highway, that was actually really wide

of course, putting SO much effort into a game with such... low potential of "fast paced action" would simply never happen... which is sad :]

a leveling pool isnt bad either. like in Infamous. you get XP and you can spend XP. similar to leveling up.

leveling up abilities is cool too. getting an ability and deciding at the next level if you wanna make that ability better or get another ability.

personally, im on the side of the fence who could play one of those "spend all day trying to get one gun, even though it sucks" kind of games. its true, that they needs to be action, there needs to be progression, and it needs to not take 5 days to complete one objective of a side mission.

also one big thing i think every RPG needs is a Respec. idk if you have to pay for it, or if its free, or a mix. but i think every RPG where you put time into a character needs a respec potion or what have you....thats was seriously one of my favorite things about Borderlands. i could try different builds without starting new builds. i could make a mistake. i could see that something was good or shitty. or i could spec myself for certain things. solo or coop or pvp, etc.

I would like it if someone combined a game like Demons Souls/Dark Souls and made it as massive as a TES game, kept the same kind of challenge and general atmosphere of a Dark abysmal realm. Instead of areas linked together you would have an entire continent to mess around in. They wouldn't have to emphasize graphics( to cut down on development costs), but just keep the game complex and challenging. Surviving shouldn't be dependent on just equipment, but mostly player skill, meaning no matter how good your gear is you should still be able to get messed up pretty bad, but that doesn't mean every enemy should take 20 hits to kill either. Multiplayer would be cool, but I'd make mobs scale up for every person you include up to 3-4 people. Can't make the game too easy just by teaming with 3 of your friends now can we? Edited by Beriallord

only thing about making a demons souls type game into an open world RPG is you couldnt have it first person, because rolling and stuff first person would look horrible. or any complex combos you do with a weapon.

Demons Souls would be fun as an RPG i think, just because it would have the lore. the one thing i wanted from DS was more lore, and in a Bethesda game, it would have it....other than that, i dont see much they could improve on by making it a huge open world (which it was in Dark Souls, though still arguably level based)...and even the lore, they could do that anyways.

one thing they could do in that game, is give more specialization like they did for Skyrim. that way every build would be different....however one of the appealing points of Demons Souls was the fact that any character could turn into any build.

I would like it if someone combined a game like Demons Souls/Dark Souls and made it as massive as a TES game, kept the same kind of challenge and general atmosphere of a Dark abysmal realm. Instead of areas linked together you would have an entire continent to mess around in. They wouldn't have to emphasize graphics( to cut down on development costs), but just keep the game complex and challenging. Surviving shouldn't be dependent on just equipment, but mostly player skill, meaning no matter how good your gear is you should still be able to get messed up pretty bad, but that doesn't mean every enemy should take 20 hits to kill either. Multiplayer would be cool, but I'd make mobs scale up for every person you include up to 3-4 people. Can't make the game too easy just by teaming with 3 of your friends now can we?

Check out Mount and Blade: Warband (the polished and remade version of Mount and Blade). It doesn't have a dark atmosphere, but it is highly modable, so this could be possible. An undead enemy was included in the game's original files, but it was scrapped in the final version, so the possibilities do exist.

And it is indeed possible to hold off a horde of Sea Raiders with only a bow and a tunic, albeit very difficult. The opposite also applies. You could be wearing the best armor the game has to offer, but you could get nailed in the head by an arrow, or get trampled by a horse (or an enemy horse could trample the last remaining enemy. I've seen it happen. :rolleyes: ).

Dark Souls/Daemon Souls have certainly been recommended as what to look at for melee combat. I'm loathe to give up 1st person entirely (sake of archery/inspecting stuff closely) but maybe there is a way to have a good ability to switch from 1st to 3rd.

The one dilemma with D Souls is that it is semi-roguelike/minecraft I believe in that there is no save loading ... the game saves when you stop playing, resumes when you start ... if you die you get taken to a respawn point with some penalties ... would this be the preference? Or perhaps limited saves would be better? (only get to save at an "Inn"/"Home") or would people prefer to just save and load as they like?

its hard to say, i mean in a game like demons souls, theres less ppl to piss off. if you pissed off an entire city, cause you said the wrong thing, ya its nice to go back to a previous save. then again, not being able to do that, gives each action or even each choice in words, consequence. so i think it would be better to have no save loading kind of thing, that way what you do is what you do. no try and fail so reload a save file. you gotta wait till u try a new game.

now in Dark Souls, they added a guy to reset any pissed of ppl, and it cost a ton! (something like 2000 times your current soul level) and in the early game thats near impossible to get) so thats always a viable option. have an in game way to reset, but make it hard to obtain

For a adventure/roleplaying game, that is set on a fantasy-like world mixed with medieval stuff, i would say a 100+ hour long storyline. books that i can read to know more about it's lore, the main imagery of it is Realism, like its your second life. many stuff to find, many to do, like carpentry, building houses, a lot of weapons, and you know, something that we will remember throughout our lives.