Is it bad to use a walkthrough?

GoldRecord

13 members have voted

1. 1. Is it cheating to use a walkthrough?

• No
    • Yes

I recently used a walkthrough for an Imperial Legion quest, I looked around a couple of islands and couldn't find the cave I was looking for.

Now I got the Templar Cuirass and Greaves, only because of that Walkthrough though, and now I feel guilty, is it cheating it or not?

It's a single player game, so it doesn't affect anyone except yourself. You get to choose what's worth doing for the challenge, and what's an annoyance to be skipped. If you feel like you cheated yourself out of something enjoyable to figure out, then just don't do it again.

No its not really cheating. If you are literally banging you head against the wall in frustration then a walkthrough is handy. If you feel guilty about it just don't use the walkthrough next time until you've really, really looked everywhere you can in a game for the solution. If a game stops being fun because I simply cannot work out what the game designer had in mind then I would use a walkthrough.

Cheating is when you start using the console to give yourself unlimited gold etc or rely on using the walkthrough for every quest in the game.

Thank you both very much, I will start to follow that.

The other thing is that I feel like I don't deserve the Imperial Templar Cuirass and Greaves that I got from the quest and that I should start over my character entirely. Probably because I could have looked around a bit more and I used the walkthrough as an easy way out, but now that I've seen the above posts, I know not to use walkthroughs unless I truly need them, thanks to you both!

Edited by GoldRecord

If I were in your shoes, and didn't want to keep that gear for those reasons, I'd more likely just dump them in a barrel somewhere and forget about them, rather than start over from the beginning, but of course it's your choice. You'll encounter similar level gear on your own anyway, so it's not that big a gain or loss.

If I were in your shoes, and didn't want to keep that gear for those reasons, I'd more likely just dump them in a barrel somewhere and forget about them, rather than start over from the beginning, but of course it's your choice. You'll encounter similar level gear on your own anyway, so it's not that big a gain or loss.

Yeah thats a great idea stick them in a barrel then go and do 30+ quests by yourself without a walkthrough. Do a lot more exploring, then when you feel you are worthy of them allow yourself those items that you fast tracked yourself to. ;)

Of course you could start again but now you know where a couple of valuable items are. I think you need to spend more time with the game and earn those items, Redeem yourself for choosing the dark sides quick and easy path. :laugh: Nah just kidding go with what you think best.

• 1 month later...
I don't think that it is cheating, but I try not to use them more than possible. I have the Prima guides for Morowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. I try to work my way through things by myself first, but if I get stumped I will use them. Also, after you have played for a while, it is fun to look through them to see things that you may have missed. Especially with Morrowind and all of the little out of the way places things are that you can miss so easily. Sounds like you have a solution to do penance until you feel like you have earned your items. :)