Does this script exist, and if so how can I apply it?

Falkner92

Hi, I've just started dabbling into modding, and I'm still pretty green. I'm looking for something for specific and I'm hoping you can help me.

What I want to do is make it so when the player reads (reads, not TAKES) a certain book in my mod, it will advance the quest stage. I know how to do it so the that if the player TAKES the book it advances, but I what I want to do is to have the quest advance just by READING the book and not actually having to take it.

Is there such a script, if so, what is it? How do I implement it?

PS

In practical terms, what I mean is advancing the quest stage just by selecting, it doesn't matter if you actually take the time to READ it naturally.

Edited by Falkner92

Hi, I've just started dabbling into modding, and I'm still pretty green. I'm looking for something for specific and I'm hoping you can help me.

What I want to do is make it so when the player reads (reads, not TAKES) a certain book in my mod, it will advance the quest stage. I know how to do it so the that if the player TAKES the book it advances, but I what I want to do is to have the quest advance just by READING the book and not actually having to take it.

If I'm not mistaken, you'd have to use an OnActivate script block. Something like:

Begin OnActivate

Setstage QuestID 20

End

If I'm not mistaken, you'd have to use an OnActivate script block. Something like:

Begin OnActivate

Setstage QuestID 20

End

Well that did the trick, but the problem now is can't select the book ingame for some weird, I can't read it, can't take it, the little book icon appears when I hover over it, but nothing happens if I click it...

Just need to add the activate command, also would be better to have the setstage happen only once:

Begin OnActivate

Activate

if (getstage QuestID < 20)
   Setstage QuestID 20
 endif

End 

Just need to add the activate command, also would be better to have the setstage happen only once:

Begin OnActivate

Activate

if (getstage QuestID < 20)
   Setstage QuestID 20
 endif

End 

That didn't seem to do anything at all, I mean the script itself works, but I still have to take the book, if I just exit, I don't get the quest stage change.

Perhaps it's part of the whole training script. My own modest modding efforts haven't drawn me into scripting, but I recognize that I'll need to learn to do it if I'm ever to advance the sophistication of my mods, so I monitor most threads that have anything to do with scripting.